View Poll Results: Click all that apply!

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1a We have not awarded CSG in 5 years

5 9.80%
  • 1b We have awarded 1-4 CSG in 5 years (average)

21 41.18%
  • 1c We have awarded 5-10 CSG in 5 years (average)

10 19.61%
  • 1d We have awarded more than 11 CSG in 5 years average

10 19.61%
  • 2a CSG is too easy

7 13.73%
  • 2b CSG is the right difficulty

28 54.90%
  • 2c CSG is too hard

4 7.84%
  • 3a Most kids miss out Adventure

2 3.92%
  • 3b Most kids miss out Expedition

22 43.14%
  • 3c Most kids miss out Outdoor Plus

8 15.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chief Scout Gold Award

Thanks

Chief Scout Gold Award

I wonder every now and again, after conversations with others around here, what other people do regarding CSG Award...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    left hand breast pocket, i believe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    left hand breast pocket, i believe
    nonono - wait for the poll!! Stupid CMS!

Thanks
    Oops :-)

Thanks
    See, part of the reason that I posted this is that I was looking for locally used hike routes for youth-led expeditions, that included a stop off at a local site. Noone in the district could give them to me.

Apparently, many Scouts never get to do the all important *unsupervised expeditions.

If I may quote from Andrew, 12, to whom I recently presented a CSG 3 months before he achieved PL:

"...achievements I am most proud of... becoming a patrol leader this year and leading a 2-day camping expedition with other scouts and no adults. I have recently become the editor of our scout troop magazine and this is a project I will be working hard on over the next year, as well as working towards the Outdoor Plus challenge badge. To complete the gold award... included climbing Ben Nevis, completing Go Ape (high wire activity), raising money for charity, taking part in scout camps and mountain biking."

I told him he's not getting Outdoor Plus until he organizes his first Patrol Camp. I anticipate that will happen just after Xmas.

He's a dab hand with a felling axe. I train my best PLs on felling axe when they turn 12. I had a district training guy telling me they shouldn't touch it till they were Explorers. Any opinions?

*lightly, remotely supervised
    Last edited by gregharewood; 20-11-2009 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks
    i said "3b Most kids miss out Expedition " but it is a toss up between outdoor plus and expedition

Thanks
    I have two scouts getting very close to finishing it and another two not too far behind. I am hoping that we will do an expedition at some point this year which will be a first for us.
    Neil Rowland
    AGSL & SL 12th West Lothian (Knightsridge) Scouts

www.12thwestlothianscouts.org.uk

Who hath smelt wood-smoke at twilight? Who hath heard the birch log burning?
    Who is quick to read the noises of the night?
    Let him follow with the others:
    For the young men's feet are turning to the camps of proved desire and known delight!

Rudyard Kipling

Thanks
    expeditions require confidence and knowledge on the part of the SL...

i have hiked the pathways of kent and i have micronavigated off mountains in fog/ cloud... i know how easy it is to organise a walk for oneself... (go to place... walk a bit, camp, walk some more, go home) and i can use that ability to organise for the scouts... it's dead easy...

but if you do not have the experience and thereby the confidence, you will not know that you can stick 4 PLs on a bus and not see them until dusk. You will not know that you can trust them to walk unsupervised (you know what i mean) and you will not have taught them the basics of simple navigation (checking the bearing of a footpath to see if it is the right one, paying attention for footpath signs hidden behind bushes etc) and you will not be able to give them the fun that comes from being leaderless in enemy territor with the freedom to stop at a sweetshop and waste your money on anything you want without me moaning that you are going to be late and to hurry up.

the more we recruit parents with no scouting background and (often) no outdoorsy background, the harder it will be for leaders to give kids the full scouty experience as i'd like to imagine it... All these wonderful parents who leap in and do so much good work need the support of idiots like me who have done far too long already and ain't going nowhere yet... so... momey where my mouth is... am running a navigation day next year for leaders in the district... why? an SL turned up on camp earlier this year with the intention of doing some hiking with only a google map printout... i saw the dark side... i didn't like it... i will teach him to love OS!

Thanks
    I have about 6 scouts ready to finnish it just got to complete International!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_mikey_k View Post
    I have about 6 scouts ready to finnish it just got to complete International!
    Stupid Global Challenge. Doh!!

You may not infer anything from this comment!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gregharewood View Post
    i cheat and do my own thing for this....
    Last edited by MikeJ; 20-11-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Thanks
    I am doing the Blue Peter send a smile appeal to cover this, this year

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    expeditions require confidence and knowledge on the part of the SL...

I couldn't agree more. I used to do quite a bit of hill walking and am fairly confident with Map and compass. I am hoping to do a lot more hikes with the scouts, I have my T1 summer permit but haven't used it in anger yet. Hopefully by the end of the summer the Scouts, or some of them will be confident enough to undertake an expedition. I have quite a young troop so if they are not ready this year I can afford to wait for next year. Whether some of the parents will be confident of the scouts confidence is another matter.

i will teach him to love OS!
    I love OS maps I can spend hours "reading" them. The first purcahse when a holiday destination has been decided is the local OS Map
    Last edited by MikeJ; 20-11-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    Neil Rowland
    AGSL & SL 12th West Lothian (Knightsridge) Scouts

www.12thwestlothianscouts.org.uk

Who hath smelt wood-smoke at twilight? Who hath heard the birch log burning?
    Who is quick to read the noises of the night?
    Let him follow with the others:
    For the young men's feet are turning to the camps of proved desire and known delight!

Rudyard Kipling

Thanks
    Anyone have an "local rules" about CSG or the Scout Challenge badges? I'm going to admit to a few guidelines I wrote for my fellow Scouters.....

Outdoor
    • The campsite service is compulsory

Community
    • Help with Cubs should not be your only form of service
    • Camp site service doesn’t count, because it’s part of the Outdoor challenge instead.

Expedition
    • A chaperone is a last resort and if they come, they must not help during the journey
    • Group should be made up of age group peers if possible so that a PL doesn't dominate

Promise
    • Sports captain (e.g. swim team) counts for one item
    • TroutScoop or website editor counts one item
    • Flag bearer at a church event counts one item

Creative
    • Pioneering can’t be counted as creative because it comes under Outdoor Plus instead. (You could make a tooth-pick model of pioneering though!

Outdoor Plus
    • The subtext of this badge is to run a patrol camp, and we think it is the best way to do the badge
    • If you’re making up the bits without running a camp, they should be on the same standard as if you were
    • Counting nights away…
      1. EXCLUDE Cubs
      2. EXCLUDE School, etc
      3. INCLUDE Patrol camps, sleepovers
      4. INCLUDE Night hikes

Scout Leader
    Thanks
    I wonder every now and again, after conversations with others around here, what other people do regarding CSG Award...
    Usually if my Scouts gain the CSGA then they will have all 9 challenges. This is because I think that the Expedition, Outdoor plus and Adventure are fundamental parts of Scouts and are key parts of my programme.

Expedition Challenge: I have organised expeditions for my PL's for the past so they can gain the challenge. I generally treat it as a level just below DofE Bronze. Very little cross country and unfortunately in T0. I have run 4 in the last 3 years.

Outdoor Plus: I see the badge as run a Patrol Camp or be a PL on Summer Camp or at our District Flag.

Adventure: I allow them to include activities we do on Camp and usually, we do enough per year that as long as they understand the all the safety/environmental issues etc. they get the badge quite early in their Scouting career.

Outdoor: Most outdoor weekend camps would allow Scouts to qualify for this challenge.

Creative: We usually do a lot of problem solving on camps so that area is usually covered. Other areas are put in to the programme regularly so they should get the badge no problem.

Fitness: I have it in the programme for next term after running it three years ago. I usually just aggree with Scouts personal targets.

Community: One of the harder badges for me to run during a troop night.

Global: Took Scouts to a JOTA station this year but as it was during the holidays I only got half a dozen Scouts. I find this the most difficult challenge.

Promise: Quite an easy badge to complete if you can get the Scout to think about it

I train my best PLs on felling axe when they turn 12. I had a district training guy telling me they shouldn't touch it till they were Explorers. Any opinions?
    I train all my Scouts how to use felling axes, hand axes, bush saws and pen knives. I think that they all must be trained on how each implement is used because they will see them around camp, so they must know how to be safe around it even f they don't use it.

I only allow those who are strong enough and safe, including YL's, to use aes unsupervised. We have two weights of felling axe and only the leaders use the heavier one and the Scouts can use the lighter one.

Scouts are never given a felling axe until the prove they are able to use it properly, this is reviewed during each camp. In the last two years, the YL's and leaders have enjoyed splitting logs as no Scout has demonstrated that they had the strength to use the axe safely. I actually enjoy a spot of log splitting as I find it quite relaxing and good stress relief.
    Last edited by Blue Magician; 20-11-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks
    I have a Scout who is about to finish, and was working towards his CSG. He finishes in a few weeks and has no way of doing Outdoor Plus with us, so he'll have to do with that with Explorers at the very first opportunity... but everything else we have agreed to sign off what we can that he definitely has done, and suffice to say, the run up to Christmas involves a lot of work from him.

On the flip side however, I have no others between him, and one of the recently invested Scouts, who are working on it.

...Is it really true that you can only go for your CSG if you have your Silver and Bronze? It's just, as I've said before, having come from Guiding we didn't have such a system involving commitment right through the sections.