Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tilley Lamps on Camp

Scout Leader
    Thanks

Tilley Lamps on Camp

Hi

I am still new to scout leaders role, but when i was a scout we always used Tilley Lamps back in the day.

Most of my groups scouting comes from what i remember of traditional scouting... Patrol Tents, Open fires, Dinning shelters etc...

Anyway back to my point... I have got 3 Tilley Lamps all from E-bay at a reduced price from new, they work as i have used them at home in my back garden but they play up now and again, and having taken them on camp they went out when we moved them.

So i'm guessing they need a service. I have no idea on how to service them or what to get, i have been told to order SP1,2 & 3 but i cant find an SP3 anywhere.

Does anyone know how to service Tilley lamps or where i could get them serviced.
    Regards

Steve Austin
    Assistant Scout Leader
    1st Honeybourne Scout Group

Thanks
    hi yes they are fairly simple first you need to get some spare parts from http://www.tilleylamp.co.uk/
    change the vaporising tube the pump has a kit you can get to replace all the rubbers etc the control knob also has a kit to replace the rubbers use that i bet that cures most of the problems

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    look at this tyo see which bit is which.

Make sure you teach the Scouts how to use them
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

Scout Leader
    Thanks
    Thanks

Are they hard to self service?
    Regards

Steve Austin
    Assistant Scout Leader
    1st Honeybourne Scout Group

ESL
    Thanks

Smile

Basically very easy to DIY service - a pair of pliers and a small adjustable spanner are all the tools you need.

If you've never done one before I'd recommend dismantling the first one very carefully and noting exactly what goes where and which way round (or take digi-photos as you go), for example it's possible to put the cup washer on the pump in wrong way up and then you get plenty of exercise pumping for absolutely no result . Alfbranch's diagrams above are also very useful in re-assembling.

When teaching Scouts and Explorers how to use them I tell them to never, ever put their hands on top of the lamp even if it's not alight - I've seen the effect of someone (not in Scouts) putting their hand on one that unknown to them had just been turned off, but the top was still extremely hot and major damage was done in the split second before he realised and took his hand away. The commonest mistake by YPs lighting them is trying to be too quick opening the control valve so that the tube isn't hot enough to vaporise the paraffin then liquid fuel comes out instead and you get an impressive display of flames and a very sooty mantle which will probably have to be replaced. If they wait until the tongs are starting to almost burn out (probably 2-3 minutes) then gently open the valve, it will usually fire up first time.

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have never serviced one of these and the diagram is on Tilleys website.

Added to what dave said I would try and find somewhere with plenty of space to lay out the parts in a logical order when you take the first one apart also avoid distraction like pets and kids. it would beuseful to avoid a place where small parts will roll out site.

they look more complicated than our Coleman multi fuels (much easier to use) but we do have a Tilley and I must have a play with it sometime and get it working to wither sell or for teaching the Scouts.
    As an after thought try looking on youtube you never know what instructions you might find.
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

Thanks
    I would second what was said above. When I re-invested in an old Tilley approx a year ago it needed significant TLC. The diagram on Tilley Website was very helpful and my advice would be to make sure that all valves, seals and washers are replaced as over time they will perish. The act itself is very theraputic and mine will now burn for nearly 12 hrs on a tank of paraffin as well going for well over 2hrs on a single pump session. When first replaced the leather pump cap doesn't always seal, but once it has soaked in paraffin for a bit it becomes pliable and seals much better.
    For what the SPs cost get a few and do them all and you will get many years of service from the lamps. In reality, SP1 is the main one as that has all the washers and perishables. The others (if I recall correctly) are just parts in case they are damaged
    Enjoy
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    Please check your preheating clamp! if its an old one it may well be made of tufted asbesdos!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dasy2k1 View Post
    Please check your preheating clamp! if its an old one it may well be made of tufted asbesdos!
    Unlikely to do you any harm as you don't even touch it never mind inhale or eat it.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    how are you using the tilly if you dont touch that bit?, its the bit that looks like a bulldog clip, sits in a jar of meths, you clip this on then light it to preheat the lamp before turning on the parrafin
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dasy2k1 View Post
    how are you using the tilly if you dont touch that bit?, its the bit that looks like a bulldog clip, sits in a jar of meths, you clip this on then light it to preheat the lamp before turning on the parrafin
    You don't usually touch the meths-soaked bit, which is the bit that was made of asbestos. You touch the handle, which is metal. Though I suppose a few stray fibres might end up in the jar.

It will likely do you no harm. I have been told a story by my Dad of them discovering asbestos panels in their Scout HQ some years ago when it was known to be an issue but not quite how much of an issue it was. They smashed them off using lump hammers, crowbars and mallets and took them to the tip. He doesn't seem to have suffered any lasting effects from this.

It's mainly people who have worked with it for years (and those who washed their clothes regularly) who suffer.

Neil

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    and those who washed their clothes regularly) who suffer.

Neil
    Well the scouts will be safe then
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,586 Posts
    As a youngster I remember helping my dad insulate the caravan so that he could fit an oven. He bought a sheet of asbestos from the ironmongers, and I held it whilst he cut it with a circular saw attachment on his old Wolf drill...

No after effects for him or me, cough, spit, splutter...

Just been grinding the sill off my Austin Champ, and needing to revise on my welding skills discovered that according to one US site I should have been wearing an air breathing mask! Ho well, that's another year off my life - I must be a ghost. At this rate I died seven years ago

Oh, and did you know that paint with lead in it tastes better than non-lead paint, which was why when we oldies were kids we would chew anything that was painted...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    Oh, and did you know that paint with lead in it tastes better than non-lead paint, which was why when we oldies were kids we would chew anything that was painted...
    im still laughing as i type this....

any hue, i think that there is too much cotton wool.
    i think that most people have gas/petrol. i wouldnt have thought u could get them new?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    im still laughing as i type this....

any hue, i think that there is too much cotton wool.
    i think that most people have gas/petrol. i wouldnt have thought u could get them new?
    Tilleys? You can, though the company has had difficulties in the past because they're so good that you don't need to!

Neil