Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bag Packing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mallett View Post
    The Tesco Extra in the district doesn't appear to allow bagpacking as a fundraiser, whereas Sainsburys, ASDA and Morrisons all do. Has anyone else experienced this issue with Tesco's?
    Nope - never had any trouble with tesco - although I have heard stories of some supermarkets having bad experiences with poorly organised bag packs and so have decided not to allow any bag packs (its a shame the minority can sometimes spoil it for the rest of us)
    Dave Moorcroft

SL - 1st Englefield Green Scout Group, Surrey
    Chair - Scout Delegation to the British Youth Council

Scouting, Studenthood and Stage Management - visit my blog

Thanks
    We have been told that the large Tesco in District will not allow bag packing because they employ people to do just that. As for Tesco Extra I would have though that the store were too small to do it in, those in our area are very small, there wouldn't be room for a customer and a packer at the tills.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruChris View Post
    What a fantastic amount, a brilliant Christmas present for the Group.

How much training do you give the Scouts before they're let loose with people's shopping (heavy stuff at the bottom etc)?
    I have written a list out on my pc of all of the things i tell to anyone who is helping at a bag pack i organise and could send it to you if you want, basics like sensible packing, but yep also the no taking to cars or if asked get a leader to do so.

Last time we had a lady with the trolley full to bursting as she was having a huge party and let us pack it, into 2 trollies in the end, and she put £5 in the bucket, really put a smile on everyones faces.

Same with Tesco near us they claim that they don't won the land so aren't insured for us to bag pack on it or something!!

Anyway so we do it at Sainsburys where they are usually very helpful and will get back to you quickly.
    I organised our first ever one a few months back and considering we didn't have a great turn out of people we still raised nearly £600 which we were really pleased with!
    Last edited by aldamaster; 02-01-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    Alex Hampson

Scout Leader
    9th Farnborough Scout Group

www.9thfarnboroughscoutgroup.org.uk

It's true we don't know what we've got until its gone, but we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Thanks
    We did our first ever bag packing at the start of December at a small supermarket in our town. Four tills, not all open for most of the day. We also had leaders helping old ladies with trolleys etc.

Aimed to make £200, wound up with £400!

Store staff and most customers were really friendly and donated lots. Only problem we had was from a security guard at the store who kept making snide comments and telling the kids off for nothing. He got a row from a parent though when he shouted at some kids for making too much noise thinking they were ours but were actually customers kids!
    ASL 1st Loughor Scouts

AESL Caws Mawr Explorers

Glamorgan West Network

MDM Glamorgan West

www.gwscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,976 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Boycot Tesco. Simples...
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I'm certain that the "T" shop does a fair bit for charity, but they don't like bag packing... we never get offers and i don't think i have ever seen anyone from a charity packing.
    Yours in Scouting, Traditionally!

Julian Lenahan

Acle Scout Group (B-PSA)
    Jamboree 2008 Team - It may be over, but i'm still a Jamboree 2008 team member!!!

Thanks
    Have to say in defence of Tesco that their community foundation have supported us to the tune of £1400 this year to help with the restoration of some of our boats

Have never asked about bag packing

Rich

Thanks
    Well done Big Jon by the way!
    Yours in Scouting, Traditionally!

Julian Lenahan

Acle Scout Group (B-PSA)
    Jamboree 2008 Team - It may be over, but i'm still a Jamboree 2008 team member!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjames View Post
    As for Tesco Extra I would have though that the store were too small to do it in, those in our area are very small, there wouldn't be room for a customer and a packer at the tills.
    Extras are the bigger stores, that usually have lots more than just food in.

Once enquired about doing a bag pack in our local store and they said they very rarely allow other charities in store to do fundraising as they support their national charity for the particular year (usually printed on the side of the carrier bags they give away).

Thanks
    As for Tesco Extra I would have though that the store were too small to do it in, those in our area are very small, there wouldn't be room for a customer and a packer at the tills.
    I think you may have been thinking of Tesco Metro

Thanks
    In Hertforshire/Bedforshire Tesco Extra are little shops tagged onto petrol stations where their shop used to be, they carry the basics at inflated prices.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk

Thanks
    There are Tesco (normal- food some other bits and bobs)
    Tesco Express- linked to garages for petrol and essentails
    Tesco Metro simular to a Spar etc
    Tesco Extra is the large ones that sell food, clothes, electrical and and like

Sorry I know its off topic!
    1st Cleobury Mortimer Scouts (ASL)
    1st Park Gate Cub's (ACL)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    I'm certain that the "T" shop does a fair bit for charity, but they don't like bag packing... we never get offers and i don't think i have ever seen anyone from a charity packing.

We were in a local branch of Tesco's before Christmas and there were people bag packing, so it does happen.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    In Hertforshire/Bedforshire Tesco Extra are little shops tagged onto petrol stations where their shop used to be, they carry the basics at inflated prices.
    Ian, You've got your Tesco Extra and Tesco Express mixed up. I'd love to be able to bag pack at Tesco Extra, Batley. 2 floors, 30 plus tills of which 6 are self service and 4 are baskets only. The Tesco Express in Birstall, where I live, is a convenience store with 3 payment tills, not even checkouts, definitley not worth bag packing at, but not connected to a garage. As for Tesco Metro you have to go to the centre of Leeds for one of them. Never seen bagpacking in any of them around here.

Sometimes colleagues in large metropolitan areas think the whole of England/UK is like their patch. It isn't, not even in larger connurbations.
    Last edited by Ian Mallett; 03-01-2010 at 12:21 AM.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

Thanks
    We as a group did our first bag pack ever. we did a 2 hour slot on a friday evening, and a 2 hours slot on sunday lunch time at the local Sainsburys - although its usually regarded in the district as an event for Scouts, I invited our cubs (and leaders!) along too and in the 4 hours we made a total of £600 - having the cubs there I definitely think helped get us some extra cash - more hands, and people seem to appreciate the younger ones being there too!

Quote of the event from a member of the public was "this is a fantastic idea, they should have you down here every week!"