Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bag Packing

Thanks
    Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,585 Posts

Bag Packing

We completed our Festive Bag Packing on the 31st December. Three events starting on 30th November, one on the 23rd december and the last on the 31st. In total we raised just over £4,000.

Anyway, whilst supervising - with all tills manned by Scouts we need to constantly supervise and make sure that they get breaks. lunch etc, and log in and out - I realised how much of a social experience this is for the Scouts.

For most, they meet and interact with a wide range of people outside their normal social contact - from the very wealthy to the pretty well impoverished, from sportsmen to physically and mantally disabled, Poles, Pakistanis, Albanians, Iraqis, Christians, Jews, Muslins, Seikhs, Hindu, and from different social backgrounds, from the well mannered to the rough as dogs Effing and blinding, arguing across the tills, shoutiong at each other. People who were polite through to the downright ignorant. It was a real eye opener for many of them.

One girl was packing bags at her till and was aghast at the conversation being rather loudly carried out at the adjacent till, allied to some aggressive body language between family members. I walked over and whispered in her ear, "I bet your glad your family isn't like some of these folks here today." She shook off her stunned expression and smiled, "Yeah, makes our little rows look really nothing at all."

From the other side loads of people commented positively about the smiling Scouts and how polite they were. There was one old miseryguts, who refused to allow his bag to be packed and didn't put a penny in the pot, who came over and started at me, " When I was in the Boy Scouts... " I though, here we go... " ... we had to go out and earn our money..." I cut him off, knowing that he hadn't accepted help or put in the pot, and said, "Well, Sir, that's exactly what they are doing, working for their money. Thank you for your input and a Happy New year to you!"

(I'd already been warned that he was a nasty piece of work by store staff and by Fiona who had known him as a client at the bank.)

Anyway, just a thought on the Bagpacking experience, and a happy New Year to one and all.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Sounds like you had a good time. Happy new year!

Thanks
    £4000! nice!

Can I ask how many tills you had covered? And how many hours you were there?
    Daniel

Explorer Scout Leader | Group Trustee
    4th Huddersfield Golcar Scout Group
    4thgolcar.org.uk
    District Media Development Manager
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    welldone to you and your scouts

Thanks
    That's fantastic - congratulations to all involved. Loved the come back to that bloke - well done for "being prepared", I bet it took the wind right out of his sails!!!

We can't come anywhere near you for amount but our smaller bagpacking on the 23rd went well too. (and yes, being me I have guidenotes and spreadsheets for all that too....) We packed bags on just 6 tills for 5 hours (2 per till) at our small local Waitrose and made £526.

Waitrose were great - not only did they provide drinks and biscuits they also counted it all and changed it into notes. My two were pleased as it normally all comes home with us and we count it out!

Our YPs really enjoy it every time but hadn't thought about why exactly, but think you have probably covered part of it in your post about how social it is and how it makes them think about how lucky theya re with their family and freinds. I also find they enjoy the fact that adults are (on the whole) being nice to them, asking questions and generally being supportive of scouting - they tell me it makes them feel good about themselves and what they do.

I tend to do "door" duty with the smiliest / cutest YP on duty (in this case mostly a Beaver with pig tails and a smile to melt the coldest of hearts.) - that way even those who haven't donated for some reason often then do as they come past
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Morrisons, Waterloo, 27 tills 8 hours. Average hourly income about £10.50

Sainsbugs, Main 25 8 hours. Average income about £9

Sainsbugs top of town, 8 tills, 7 hours, average income £11.75-ish.

We met with Explorers from Spenborough packing at Sainsbugs in Huddersfield, and they had been called by stores in Halifax asking if they would bag pack as the Halfiax stores had problems getting local groups to bagpack!
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Thanks
    I'm amazed how much money can be raised by bag packing. My daughter spent 7 hours doing this on the last Saturday before Christmas in one of the largest Tescos in the county, to raise money for the jamboree. She made just under £50 (the organisers split the money depending on how many hours each YP did).

We're doing a bag pack for the group in an ASDA soon (group sec works there, so got a foot in the door). Got high hopes now!

And picking up Ewan's point about meeting people from all walks of life, my daughter certainly found that out! In fact, she met one of our old leaders (my predecessor as acting GSL), who was very surprised to see his old group's necker well and truly off our patch! I think he was even more surprised to find that the Scout he was talking to was my 13 year old daughter - she was 5 when he left!
    Howard
    Joined as a Cub in 1980
    ACSL 1991 to 2000
    CSL 2000 to 2009
    Acting GSL 2002 to 2010
    SL 2008 to 2011
    GSL 2010 onwards. To retirement?!
    www.evingtonscouts.org.uk
    @19thLeicester
    19th Leicester (Evington) Scout Group

Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 787 Posts
    Fantastic effort to raise £4000. We raised about half the amount we usually do this year as the (smallish) store we bag pack at, which is opposite our meeting place, has become a Sainsuburys and they now have 10 self service tills which dramatically reduced the number of people passing through the main tills and wanting their bags packed.

I think we might have to move to a bigger store where people are doing big shops so not willing to use self service tills but in that case I think we'd need to co operate with another Group as ours isn't big enough to cover so many tills for a decent amount of time. Downside is that it wouldn't be as near our meeting place and so wouldn't be such good 'PR' for us.
    Last edited by shiftypete; 01-01-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    That is a great amount considering most people put in coppers or spare change. What a great way to end/start a new year!
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Asst Sea Scout Leader GuruChris's Avatar
    Thanks
    What a fantastic amount, a brilliant Christmas present for the Group.

How much training do you give the Scouts before they're let loose with people's shopping (heavy stuff at the bottom etc)?

Thanks
    Our Cubs and Scouts do it as the major fundraiser for the year in the week before Christmas at our local Morrisons, its good for around £1500+. All done on the Sunday which limits the hours we might be tempted to do, only on the job training is done, we have a good turn out of adults to support the YP in their efforts and to give them breaks as needed.

Our fortunate moment this year was a gentleman who insisted on packing his own booze, it was safer, its suprising how much mess a broken bottle of red wine can make on a till, he did smile and say lucky it wasn't one of the young people.

As Ewan says its a social event in a lot of ways, you get all those that were cubs and scouts and want to chat, those that were in the group many years ago, those that still weren't aware we now take girls. Its a comunity thing, the chance for the YP to mix, on the whole to be praised for the effort they are putting in, to raise the profile of scouting in general and show that the youth of today isn't as bad as painted in the press too much of the time.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk

Thanks
    Well done to your group!
    Bag packing is a good way to get the kids out into the community and an excellent way to show the scouts that work equates to results... though the experience does get a bit soul destroying experience once people get to the stage where they start bleating!!!
    We do it reasonably regularly, but this year decided to take a rest.
    Yours in Scouting, Traditionally!

Julian Lenahan

Acle Scout Group (B-PSA)
    Jamboree 2008 Team - It may be over, but i'm still a Jamboree 2008 team member!!!

Thanks
    How much training do you give the Scouts before they're let loose with people's shopping (heavy stuff at the bottom etc)?
    Basics - eggs, bread, soft stuff at the bottom, heavy stuff on top, if it doesn't fit jump on it till it does...

Incredibly, they all think they know better and pack soft stuff separately and make sure the eggs go on top. Just can't train kids nowadays :-)

If it's too heavy they don't lift it, they call for help. They cannot help people out to their cars/ taxis etc, all they can do is pack and lift into trollies.

I've watched them, and they all do a pretty good job. When we have Beavers and Cubs along for an hour, we just tell them to smile and people will put money in the bucket, and they do!
    Ewan Scott

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    When we have Beavers and Cubs along for an hour, we just tell them to smile and people will put money in the bucket, and they do!
    We bagpacked at Dewsbury Sainsburys on Saturday 12 December, as part of the District bagback over the two Saturdays arranged by scout HQ. Our beavers/very small cubs held buckets and smiled sweetly at the exit, which was right next to the self service checkouts.

Given we covered all the open tills during our two hour stint, I was surprised how much was in the buckets. The self service shoppers must have contributed, but I'm convinced you need the groups youngest members to get the cash out of those pockets.
    Last edited by Ian Mallett; 01-01-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

Thanks
    My district bag pack on 12th & 19th December at Dewsbury Sainsburys raised £2,470. This was slightly more than last year, which, given the economic situation and that it isn't one of the busiest Sainsburys, probably means that more people participated and thus more tills were covered for a longer period on each day .

The money gets split across the groups and units that participate, based on the number of packing hours each group/unit contributed. We got £300 for 39 hours, which is approximately £7.70 per participant hour, which I think isn't bad.

The Tesco Extra in the district doesn't appear to allow bagpacking as a fundraiser, whereas Sainsburys, ASDA and Morrisons all do. Has anyone else experienced this issue with Tesco's?
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire