Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Child protection

Thanks

Child protection

The other night whilst out with some friends they were talking about a child who had be seen with red marks on their on more than 1 occassion, they didn't name the child, but I worked out who thay were talking about. I also understand that there are child protection issues with the family.

Now my dilema:
    • do I keep this info to myself & only share with my sectional ssistant leaders on a "need to know" basis?
    • Do I keep an eye on the child & only say something to my GSL when I see something during Beavers?
    • Do I give my sectional sectional a general reminder about child protection & say that if they notice anything to report to our GSL?

I don't really want to speak the school, as this probably would get these friends of mine into trouble, but I felt that they were trying to let me know to keep an eye on this child if you get what I mean. Although that was sugested to me.

I thought I'd ask you guys to see what you suggest, as you come up with some very good ideas.

Thanks
    OK, without being too negative here, the obvious danger is that if what you (collectively) know doesn't get reported properly, and something very serious happens, then you may have had the power to avoid it, and I'm sure that's the last thing you want.

In your Scouting role, you shouldn't investigate (or discuss to a certain extent) these issues yourself, but pass them to someone who has the official protocols to pass them to the appropriate statutory body. There should be no real reason to go back to the school

I know it's not always this simple in the real world, and the only recommendation I would give (as an individual rather than anything in Scouting) would be the NSPCC's Child Protection advice line (0808 800 5000), you can even e-mail them at [email protected]. I've not used them directly myself, but people who have are usually singing their praises!

Hopefully that ticks all the boxes officially, I'll let someone else come up with a 'common sense' reply.
    Matthew

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,447 Posts
    write it down with all the facts (in a style that makes sense, the above is gibberish in places) and then speak to the safeguarding team at hq.

they are our people for dealing with all outside agencies.

Thanks
    Having just this week been on a Child protection workshop (as a refresher course organised for all the leaders in our District), I would suggest that you follow the yellow card.

If you have a concern about a young person’s safety and well being:

1. Immediately tell your Group Scout Leader or District Commissioner
    2. Write careful notes of what you witnessed, heard or was told
    3. Sign, date and pass your notes to your District Commissioner
    4. Ensure that no Scouting situation arises which could cause any further concern”

The yellow card is clear. You have been told information about a child protection issue, and although without specific details of the yp involved you yourself say that you had the feeling that your friends were trying to let you know of their concerns and you also believe that there are CP issues with the family. I would therefore make careful notes of what you were told and discuss these with the GSL/DC as soon as possible.

I wouldn’t at this stage share the information with the section assistant leaders, and don’t wait until you see something at Beavers, but report your concerns immediately. Under no circumstances discuss this with the school or the parents of the yp.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Firstly, as Peter said remember to go along with your yellow card

If this where me i would refer this to my district team... I'm suprised that whoever told you about this issue hasn't raised it themselves with their respective governing body (if they are a teacher im assuming they have someone superious who looks after this sort of thing?)

With you only hearing this from a third party (as im assuming you havent noticed anything previously) your going to have to be objective about it... but that doesnt mean that the situation could be any more or less (potentially) dangerous

Any doubts talk to your superior, and follow your card.... its there to protect the kids, and to help us
    Being a Scout leader is a constant reminder why some animals eat their young.

www.JaysBigAdventure.co.uk
    Follow the adventure on Facebook ~*~ Follow the adventure on Twitter!
    Can I meet one representative of EVERY Scout Group in the UK?

It's only one hour a week HONEST!
    )J(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    The other night whilst out with some friends they were talking about a child who had be seen with red marks on their on more than 1 occassion, they didn't name the child, but I worked out who thay were talking about. I also understand that there are child protection issues with the family.

Now my dilema:
    • do I keep this info to myself & only share with my sectional ssistant leaders on a "need to know" basis?
    • Do I keep an eye on the child & only say something to my GSL when I see something during Beavers?
    • Do I give my sectional sectional a general reminder about child protection & say that if they notice anything to report to our GSL?

I don't really want to speak the school, as this probably would get these friends of mine into trouble, but I felt that they were trying to let me know to keep an eye on this child if you get what I mean. Although that was sugested to me.

I thought I'd ask you guys to see what you suggest, as you come up with some very good ideas.
    Report it to your GSL and they will then deal with matter.
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Write it all down so that it is clear in your head. Then tell your GSL or DC, who should know what to do from there onwards.

It may well be nothing, but we should follow the procedures set down for just this case to ensure that we are covered and that, if necessary, this YP is protected.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    "If you suspect" is the key phrase. If you do, then follow the procedure.

If you doubt yourself... like, the child is a bit tearful and his Mum shouts at him... i.e. no direct evidence, then what do you do? A hunch is one below a suspicion.

I certainly found myself in that position; I talked to a fellow leader, we just watched for a week, and it became clear that we were misinterpreting the evidence and that there was no abuse.

I don't know what the official position is, but I would say that it is sometimes good to be able to talk informally to a warranted peer or superior before submitting a formal report. Most of us are not trained to know what we are even looking for. And unhappiness at home is happily not always violent.

Having said all of that, in your case, it is hard to imagine when marks on a child like that shouldn't be escalated.

Thanks
    At least this child is being watched elsewhere, I think keep an eye and report anything I see to our GSL. Having just last week done a bit with the Beavers about bullying and letting know that we are here if anyone is hurting them, this child might (if the worst is happening) talk us about it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Thanks
    All id say is follow the procedures on the yellow card.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks

CP Training?

Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    this child might (if the worst is happening) talk us about it.
    Experience suggests that they won't.
    If you have any suspicion, talk to your GSL.
    From what is suggested on here, you don't appear to be following the guidance in Yellow/Orange Card (although perhaps you've not done the CP module and don't have either a Yellow or Orange Card).
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    There are procedures and you really need to be following them.
    Richard Cullen
    Fakenham Lancaster Baden-Powell Air Scouts

Per Exploranda ad Astra!

Thanks
    If you don't want to do local then you can always ring the info centre and ask to discuss a safeguarding issue. They will pass you on to the safeguarding team at Gilwell

ESL - Young Leaders
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    The yellow card is clear. You have been told information about a child protection issue, and although without specific details of the yp involved you yourself say that you had the feeling that your friends were trying to let you know of their concerns and you also believe that there are CP issues with the family. I would therefore make careful notes of what you were told and discuss these with the GSL/DC as soon as possible.
    Peter is right. The Yellow Card is clear, so no need for indecision what to do next ie speak with your GSL/DC asap. Its the right thing to do. They will pass it on to specially trained people who deal with these issues. Hope it all works out soon so you can rest easy in the knowledge you have done all you can in the event that concerns are true.
    Ruth

Lovin' my gadgets!

Thanks
    Having gone down this road recently, don't go local because it is just wasting time, go direct to safeguarding team. They are brilliant, there to do a job and to help put your mind at rest. Be very careful about anything local, from experience if they can they will drop you and scouting right in it. It will be you/group who has instigated things even if the young person or family are known to the local youth safegaurdingteam or what ever.
    There is someone available 24/7 on the Gillwell number, or the one the answer phone gives you.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk