Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burns Night

Thanks

Burns Night

i was just wondering what people had done for burns night Chinese new year what craft or what different activities they have done? it would be good to hear back with your ideas or suggestions or maybe even some past programmes

David

Thanks
    This any good for Burns Night?

We have also done Chinese New Year, but I can't seem to find the programme for that at the moment.
    Last edited by BigBadBaloo; 04-06-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    thanks for the ideas they will be very useful

David

Thanks
    I so love Escouts!

BigBadBaloo, that's perfect!

My ABSL did our Chinese New Year program last year.

Basically, it was talk about the year animals and do the story. A chopsticks game (try and pick things up with them and move them from 1 plate to another). Colour in the animal of their birth year and another game which I can't remember...

I always wanted to make a dragon a week or 2 b4 and do a dragon dance, but generally get voted down in the planning meetings!
    Riddles
    BSL 7th Lichfield (Paget)

Thanks
    For Burns night we have made neeps and tatties, haggis and that crachan (sp) dessert whithout the whiskey. Beavers ate all of it up including "the lovely big sausage". We also wrote and recited poems and sang Auld Lang Syne.

For Chinese New year each Beaver made a red envelope and decorated it with their initials in chinese writing. They had to count out 8p in coins which we put in their envelopes for luck.

We did food tasting (prawn crackers, seaweed, prawn toast, noodles) with chopsticks, played spillikins which is a chinese game and found out each of our chinese horoscope symbols.

We will be repeating the Chinese New year programme again this year.

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Exactly as Spider - we did Haggis Neeps and Tatties last year and made crannachan. Brill! They want to do Austrailia Day this year instead so throw another prawn on the barbie and 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport'!

(A man in a white coat was wandering around the hospital. 'A man's a man for aa that' he muttered and 'Scots Wha hae where Wallace bled' he shouted and, 'Wee cowering timerous beastie' he whispered. A worried patient went to the receptionist. 'That man,' said the patient, 'I think he's escaped from the mental ward'. 'It's all right' said the receptionist, 'he's not a patient, he's a plastic surgeon. he works here.' 'Works here???' said the astounded patient. 'Oh yes, replied the receptionist, 'He's head of the Burns Unit'!)

I'll get me coat!

Cub Scout Leader
    Thanks
    We did an early Burns Night, last night. I did a "Scottish Sword Dance Game" which the Cubs really enjoyed:

Equipment
    ========
    Suitable Bagpipe music (I brought my IPOD+Speaker)
    Big Foam Dice
    Silver masking Tape - we made 8 big crosses on the floor (swords), 2 for each six. We marked a "1", "2", "3" and "4" in each quadrant with chalk.
    Stopwatch (or watch or mobile phone stopwatch function)

Setup
    ====
    I told them there were 5 steps to learning how to do Scottish Sword Dancing.

1/ Hop
    2/ Tuck your other foot inside the knee of the leg you're hopping on.
    3/ Put your hands on your hips
    4/ Occasionally arc one of your hands over your head.
    5/ Occasionally whoop.

And P.S. "Don't step on the swords". We all tried it, then...

The Game
    =======
    * Each six was divided into 2 groups - one for each silver cross (swords)
    * We started the music. The first 8 Cubs started dancing/hopping on the quadrant with the number "1"
    * A leader rolled the dice. If the number was 1, 2, 3, or 4 the Cubs had to hop to that quadrant. If the number was 5 or 6 they had to change foot.
    * Another leader called "change" every 30 seconds and the next Cub would take over.

Hope thats clear - the Bagpipe music should ideally be some kind of jig - fairly fast, not a dirge :-)
    Washathi, CSL 14th Southampton
    http://www.highfieldscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    I just want to say Thanks - Thank you to whomever posted the idea about doing a Burns Night evening - not sure if it was this post or another, but last night was brilliant!

We made contact with some scottish dancers, six of whom came to beavers last night in Kilts, they told us all about Burns Night, brought some Haggis to try and then demonstrated a scottish dance.

We have invited the parents along - so then we had a hall for or 26 beavers, around 40 adults, and 10 siblings all having a go at Scottish dancing it was fab. We stopped for tea/coffee and shortbread and passed a collection pot round for Haiti and raised £65... and then finished the night with Old Lang Syne

It was FAB! The kids all had a go, the parents joined in, the dancers loved the enthusiasm of the Beavers... they had some parent take details of the group and the atmosphere was buzzing!

THANK YOU!
    Heron
    Parent - ex Beaver Leader, District Beaver Leader, TA and ESL

Renouf Design
    Explore the New Forest

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    I was down at Beavers last night harassing parents for GA forms etc. BSL says, can you do a bit for Burn's night... a peom or something.

So I sat them all down, we had a very brief chat about who Burns was - some of them knew - yeah!

Then I read the first verse of To A Mouse, They were gobsmacked because they couldn't understand a word. So, I went to plan B ( I was prepared) , I told them the story of MacPhearson, and how he was a cattle thief; and how he was arrested by a woman throwing a blanket over him; how he danced and played his fiddle before he was executed; how he broke his fiddle so that no-one else could ever play it and how the fiddle is in the museum at Newtonmore if anyone ever is up that way they can find out more about MacPhearson; and how they changed the time of the clocks to execute him early before his gang could free him.

I then said that Burns wrote a song about MacPhearson, and I played MacPhearson's Rant. It was amazing to see the reaction.

Afterwards we got them writing poetry, and we put their names on the board and got them to suggest a word that rhymes with their own name - Imogen, Declan and Morgan had us stumped, but the rest all managed to find a rhyming word, and the other three made up words.

Finished with Haggis tasting.

At the end of the night one beaver came and told me that she knew why some words ryhmed, and why they made a good sound, and another came and said that he had seen MacPhearson's fiddle - magic. I'm almost thinking stuff the DC role, I'll be a BSL - but I'd need to go and do more training....
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    I'm almost thinking stuff the DC role, I'll be a BSL - but I'd need to go and do more training....
    You dont need more training, you just need to carry on finding the magic - that is why our BSL's do it! The magic is inside you... and the Beavers help get it out....
    Heron
    Parent - ex Beaver Leader, District Beaver Leader, TA and ESL

Renouf Design
    Explore the New Forest

Thanks
    You dont need more training, you just need to carry on finding the magic - that is why our BSL's do it!
    Oh no. The one gap in my training is that of a BSL, I can assure you that I'd be instructed to attend training ( actually I could probably validate from prior learning now).

Maybe I'd get my FOURTH Wood badge :-)
    Ewan Scott

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

Account Closed
    Thanks
    I'm almost thinking stuff the DC role, I'll be a BSL - but I'd need to go and do more training....
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I'd rather be the local rat-catcher (bare handed if needs be) than be BSL! I have the greatest respect for folk who can deal with that age group en masse. It is a rare skill - and one which I don't possess!

Thanks
    Oh no. The one gap in my training is that of a BSL, I can assure you that I'd be instructed to attend training ( actually I could probably validate from prior learning now).

Maybe I'd get my FOURTH Wood badge :-)
    Just don't mention your proposed method for discipline.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramatist View Post
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I'd rather be the local rat-catcher (bare handed if needs be) than be BSL! I have the greatest respect for folk who can deal with that age group en masse. It is a rare skill - and one which I don't possess!
    You'll be surprised - they are great - spent 10 years as BSL and DBSL until I moved up to CSL! Another 5 years and maybe I'll be a SL

Beavers are so refreshingly honest and open. They are a great group to deal with and contrary to popular opinion they can do scouty activities - well mine did - and not just crafts.

Often thought if you have woodbeads for Beavers - do you really need to retrain for Explorers
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Just don't mention your proposed method for discipline.
    What? Shooting one pour encourager les autres... Nothing wrong with that at all...

Actually, I try not to interfere in the running of any section, particularly beavers as my daughter is the acting BSL (officially she's ACSL). The Beaver team is young, the oldest is 25, and all were my Scouts/ Explorers/ Ventures and I don't want to discourage them by jumping in and over-riding them.

To be honest Beavers can be a little noisy, especially if they all turn up (40), they tend to be a bit quieter if I talk, but then again, I'm an ancient man to them.

On Monday I was standing on a chair writing on the whiteboard and when I turned round I had a great view of the Beavers and I spotted two of them misbehaving. I just spoke their names and pointed at the corner and they stopped misbehaving and walked over to the corner to await my arrival. After a few minutes one of the Beaver Leaders went over and spoke with them and they came back into the game and played by the rules. Additionally, the rest calmed down as well. What's wrong with that?

When I did my bit about Burns, I had complete silence from them, my daughter complained afterwards that she had never heard then so quiet.

Mind you there was one that I would have swung for - but since he attracted so much adult supervision he decided not to come back... probably best all round :-(
    Ewan Scott