Thread: Navigator part 4!

Thanks

Navigator part 4!

Hey everyone my akela has told me to plan a treasure hunt for the cubs on 25th Jan as a requirement for:

4.Help plan, or take part in, a treasure hunt using clues, directions and signs to reach an unknown destination

Has anyone ever done this?

I was thinking of meeting half an hour earlier than usual to give them extra time to walk to where i want them to end up!! This is a local lido and i was planning to ask one of my network or leader friends to meet us down there with the "treasure" hidden somewhere among the slides etc.

This would also give them a little bit of time to play on all the things after before going back! and if the time is getting abit tight my parentals have offered to give them lift back from the edge of the lido to the hut which takes 5 mins to drive but alot longer to walk.

What does everyone think? i would organise for their parents to pick them up from the lido instead of the hut but as only 1 of my cubs parents has a car and cant fit them all in its a bit of a problem.

What does anyone think? I will have to convince my akela the lido is the best place for them to go instead of a 10 min walk to another hut just to find the treasure and back!! x

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

Im hoping the route is on that picture just incase its not this is what i would do with them:

My Hut is in the church near where it says pinner green!! I would walk them towards where it says northwood hills, up past the school and then down footpaths to where the arrow is!!
    Last edited by *kimmy*; 14-01-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Merged Double Post
    CSL 2nd Northwood
    AESL Excalibur ESU
    GLMW Scout Network
    NSRA Rifle Instructor

Thanks
    Kimmy,
    It will be dark - will the slides etc be accessible - ie no locked gates - and is there enough light around for it to be safe?
    There's also a good chance that it will be raining or wet - will the equipment still be usable or is there something else that you can occupy them with?
    Kate, CSL (and GDB(S))
    1st Weald Brook Scout Group
    Brentwood, Essex
    www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Beaver View Post
    Kimmy,
    It will be dark - will the slides etc be accessible - ie no locked gates - and is there enough light around for it to be safe?
    There's also a good chance that it will be raining or wet - will the equipment still be usable or is there something else that you can occupy them with?
    There is enough lights around there to be able to see the stuff!! the dont necessarily need to play on the equipment!! there is alot of stuff around that will be safe etc if it in raining!!

I just think it would be better than walking along roads they walk along to go to school/home etc!! and will only take about 30 mins to get there find treasure and get back!! xx

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

This is another route we can do but its the route some of them walk to school/home and is very safe as it is on residential roads with street lights but is soooooooooo boring and wont take us very long at all!! x
    Last edited by *kimmy*; 14-01-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Merged Double Post
    CSL 2nd Northwood
    AESL Excalibur ESU
    GLMW Scout Network
    NSRA Rifle Instructor

Thanks
    I can confirm that route is boring. Well, having done the Alandale route in PE....
    How about going to the park near the Iron bridge???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I can confirm that route is boring. Well, having done the Alandale route in PE....
    How about going to the park near the Iron bridge???

Near the cemetary and footie club? x
    CSL 2nd Northwood
    AESL Excalibur ESU
    GLMW Scout Network
    NSRA Rifle Instructor

Thanks
    think u use chestnut ave to get to it. Oppsite the olde northwood.

Thanks
    yup yup ill suggest that to him aswel!! he wants to do boring walks grrrr!!! xx
    CSL 2nd Northwood
    AESL Excalibur ESU
    GLMW Scout Network
    NSRA Rifle Instructor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by *kimmy* View Post
    yup yup ill suggest that to him aswel!! he wants to do boring walks grrrr!!! xx
    Can't you take some "unusual" digi pics of your route beforehand which the cubs have to look for and spot?

i..e Garden Gnome in #48, unusual house numberplate, bus stop, phone box - take them from an unusual angle etc. as a twist - print them out as reasonable size (not in order of course) after numbering them with a space for the answers. Laminate worksheets. Hand out one per six. Bingo! Six who recognises most gets a non-nut cereal bar. (then store for future use another time). No Laminator - speak to your local primary school - i'm sure that they will happily do them as a favour - my 3 local schools are sooo happy when I ask them for stuff on loan etc.....as half the kids are from the various school(s) [[[yes yes I know thats more than 100% ]]] - and the teacher always know what they got up to at Cubs last week!!
    Chris Shaw
    UK - Salisbury City ESU Asst Leader
    Austria - Linz 12 CaEx Leader
    austroairscout (at) gmail (dot) com
    International Commissioner - Upper Austria
    [email protected]