Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for new GSL

Thanks

Advice for new GSL

Hi
    I am taking over as GSL at our local Scout Group. I was an assistant Beaver leader, in my Dad's group in the late 80/early 90s when "young." My boys have gone through our local group, now Scout age, and I have always been a willing pair of hands, but never wanted to take a section as I teach locally and a lot of the kids are the same kids, so wouldn't be fair on them.
    I grew up in a Scouting family, Dad was area commissioner, Skipper and GSL of his group. Sadly he died recently and isn't here to ask for advice... so is there anyone out there who would like to give a few hinters on how to start out as the "newcomer GSL?"
    Moira

Thanks
    From my point of view I think a GSL should:-
    a) pass communication down the chain effectively (from District/County)
    b) pass comments back to and represent the leaders at District
    c) work with the leaders to keep their appointments up to date
    d) encourage the sections to work as a team
    e) try to get others to do the fund raising and admin leaving leaders free to Scout
    f) be seen around enough that the young people know who they are but not so much that the leaders think they are snooping
    g) be willing to help any section in a crisis or when an extra leader is needed
    h) support the leaders in communicating with families in the Group (could be a group newsletter, website or material for the sections to incorporate into their own mailings, etc.)
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    f) be seen around enough that the young people know who they are but not so much that the leaders think they are snooping
    Now this bit would be hard for a GSL who loves scouting

Certainly it would be for me.

Thanks
    Good tips, thanks. Steep learning curve ahead!
    Moira

Thanks
    This is such a good way of putting it - finding the balance is very difficult, and not something I have completely mastered (after twenty odd years!)

Bob

Thanks
    a) pass communication down the chain effectively (from District/County)
    b) pass comments back to and represent the leaders at District
    This may seem a bit obvious, but ensure that you have the e-mail address for all the group's leaders, and group executive committee members. Make sure that your district and county (region if you are in Scotland), have the e-mail address of all your leaders. Doing this takes the cascading element out of some communications, and makes that which needs to be done much easier.

Check that your leaders read their e-mails regularly

Encourage all the leaders to register with scout.org.uk so that they can get into My Tools and access Programmes Online.

Send a PM to Don Tregartha asking him to invite you to join the GSLs Social group on
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

Thanks

Keys to Success

The scout info centre have a useful little booklet, KEYGSL Keys to Success For GSLs. It's an A5 booklet "to help the GSL understand The Role, Plan and Lead the Group to success".
    It's free.
    or online at http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/support/...stosuccess.pdf
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Have a vision and work towards it. Some people will walk away because they don't agree. Let them walk.

It will be hard, but in the end you will have a better Group with a team of leaders who share your vision.

That is not to say be dictatorial, but put your ideas forward and push them, make them happen. The best thing that you can do is have your ideas succeed, and others will come along with you.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    As of last month we currently have no GSL (long story....) so yesterday I met with the leadership team to facilitate working out what we need to do to ensure everything gets "covered" in the interim - whihc in turn will help us work out what we want going forward and (hopefully) recruit.

Being me ( ) it's in the form of an Excel spreadsheet with the key headings from the basic GSL role, split underneath into tasks with notes and who will do each one as of now (some is the same as before, some has changed). It's designed just for relevance to our Group as our "interim" solution but if you think it would be helpful just me your e-mail address and I'll happily share.

Thanks for starting this thread too - as this will be very helpful as the leadership team / exec work together to get a new GSL in place
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Louise - would be good to have a look at that, see what I've not been doing these past few years!

My email is bobbyhkennedy at hotmail dot co dot uk

Cheers

Bob
    Last edited by mattcollins171; 31-01-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: edited email to stop spamming

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mallett View Post
    Send a PM to Don Tregartha asking him to invite you to join the GSLs Social group on
    Absolutely Moira - 27 GSLs all waiting to help you out! It doesn't get better than that.

Feel free to post anything you want either on the main Forum or on the GSLs Group. We all started out somewhere, and all asked lots of incredibly silly questions in the early days. I was lucky to have the support of a very patient DC.

My one key piece of advice is to talk to all the Leaders regularly, especially the BSL, CSL and SL. Tell them that you are there to support them whenever they need you and they must tell you a.s.a.p. of any worries or problems.

Louise, as you are effectively Acting GSL for your group, have you thought of asking Don to invite you to join the GSLs social group?

I wouldn't mind a copy of that spreadsheet either, just to make sure I'm doing everything I should be! I think you have my email address already, but just shout on here if you haven't, because I definitely have yours.
    Akela, 1st Tylers Hill

Yes, those are my legs - and my hiking boots too!

Thanks
    A GSL shouldn't need to 'snoop', you should know what's going on, after all you carry the can. My team, although I challenge them from time to time usually see me as a positive rather than a negative.

Get involved, be there. Its not about paperwork, it is as Bushfella says, about having a vision, a plan.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks

Marathon not a Sprint

Building on the "plan" theme, remember that you're in a marathon, not a sprint, so your plan might have to look at a 5 year horizon. Pace yourself, fight only those battles you need to win, and stay with it for the long haul. Sometimes you have to wait for people to move on before changes can be enacted.
    Of course, any plan is just a basis for change.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    E-mails sent and invite accepted
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Yay!
    Akela, 1st Tylers Hill

Yes, those are my legs - and my hiking boots too!