Thread: A Big Thanks from the Natural Navigator

Thanks

A Big Thanks from the Natural Navigator

Hi,

Just wanted to pop in to say hi and thanks to everyone who has visited my website. Over the past months there have been so many visitors and it is great to know that the subject of natural navigation remains of interest to the scouting movement.

My book came out on Thursday and judging from the number of visitors to my site from the escouts site there must be quite a few who helped it to sell out in 48 hours on Amazon (it is being restocked for those who missed out). So a massive thanks!

It is a long time since I was actually in the scouts (in the 3rd Englefield Green scouts back in the 80s!), but great memories still.

Some of you have been in touch about me giving a talk and it is something that I'd be delighted to do, not least as thanks for the interest and support. My diary is a bit of a joke at the moment, but things will quieten down and so if you're leading a trip into the South Downs/West Sussex area do let me know and I'll try to do something.

Thanks again,

Tristan
    Last edited by Tristgo; 07-03-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristgo View Post
    Hi,

Just wanted to pop in to say hi and thanks to everyone who has visited my website. Over the past months there have been so many visitors and it is great to know that the subject of natural navigation remains of interest to the scouting movement.

My book came out on Thursday and judging from the number of visitors to my site from the escouts site there must be quite a few who helped it to sell out in 48 hours on Amazon (it is being restocked for those who missed out). So a massive thanks!

It is a long time since I was actually in the scouts (in the 3rd Englefield Green scouts back in the 80s!), but great memories still.

Some of you have been in touch about me giving a talk and it is something that I'd be delighted to do, not least as thanks for the interest and support. My diary is a bit of a joke at the moment, but things will quieten down and so if you're leading a trip into the South Downs/West Sussex area do let me know and I'll try to do something.

Thanks again,

Tristan
    Hi Tristan,

3rd Englefield Green Scout Group? In Surrey?

I'm the scout leader at 1st Englefield Green Scout Group - now Englefield's only scout group but a thriving one at that! we'd love to have you down to scouts if you come 'home' anytime soon!
    Last edited by dmoorcroft; 07-03-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: typo
    Dave Moorcroft

SL - 1st Englefield Green Scout Group, Surrey
    Chair - Scout Delegation to the British Youth Council

Scouting, Studenthood and Stage Management - visit my blog

Thanks
    Hi Dave,

Surrey it was and great to hear that at least one is still going strong. The 3rd was the Scaitcliffe School scouts (now changed name to Bishopsgate School I think).

I'll get back there, not in the next couple of months if I'm honest as my publisher has a relentless schedule for me to enjoy, but I'll get there!

Best,

T

Thanks
    Hi Tristan,

I hope the relly that's getting me your book for Easter was pro active if they were getting it from Amazon then! Saw your piece in Bushcraft magazine (as well as on countryfile). Scouting is really going back to basics with outdoor skills and if you can ever find the time to do a piece for Scouting magazine...

Have a look on BushcraftUK's website as well, I posted a thread about your book. You've also been discussed on the Bushcraft and Nature Social Group...always room for another! http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=22
    Last edited by Mang; 08-03-2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Added a bit.
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.
    http://austinlill.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks
    I've got my hands on a copy which is going to be holiday reading in Scotland next week. I've resisted a good look but I know I'm going to come back a little wiser.

Interestingly, there aren't a great number of pics or diagrams so it will be interesting to see if I can convert text to the old grey matter hard drive!
    The Outdoor Traditionalist (a largely bushcraft blog). Have a look at this how to page for things to try.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mang View Post
    I've got my hands on a copy which is going to be holiday reading in Scotland next week. I've resisted a good look but I know I'm going to come back a little wiser.

Interestingly, there aren't a great number of pics or diagrams so it will be interesting to see if I can convert text to the old grey matter hard drive!
    Hi Mang,

Yes, the book may come as a bit of a surprise. It is a very different approach to navigation to anything I have come across before.

It is an attempt to go quite deeply into the subject, to give the reader all the principles needed to work things out for themself. This is in contrast to the 'quick tricks' way of looking at nature for clues to direction.

For example, there are illustrations that show you the quick methods for finding direction using the Plough, Cassiopeia, Orion and the Southern Cross, but there is also a detailed description of how the whole night sky appears to move. There are references to 42 stars or constellations in the book, so, being honest, this is not a book for those who just want a few tricks, but it is certainly for those who want to get really under the skin of the subject. The final lines of the Prologue hopefully give you a flavour of the ambition of the book:

'You are about to catapult yourself into the top one percent of natural navigators in the world. Welcome to a very rare art indeed.'

Thanks so much for buying the book, I hope you enjoy it and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristgo View Post
    Yes, the book may come as a bit of a surprise. It is a very different approach to navigation to anything I have come across before.
    Looks like I'll be earning my learning...I must concentrate! BTW Tristan, I've contacted the magazine.

Thanks
    Bump! I've just had a Tweet from Tristan. I sent him a PM when he did this Natural Navigator thread asking him if he'd consider doing a piece for Scouting magazine, his Tweet confirmed that he has so maybe we'll see it next month. Top bloke!