Thread: Gang Show

Thanks

Gang Show

Our District has just finished its gang show, A few of our Scouts were in the Cast and have all gained their entertainers badge. However we have a Scout who was part of the front of house crew, he really enjoyed himself and worked really hard, I wonder if anyone knows if there are any badges that we can use to recognise him, as I don't think he fulfils the entertainer one.

Thanks

Peter SL 18th Bolton Horw notgonehome's Avatar
    Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Gang Show

When we had our district show any scout doing stage crew front of house etc who put in the effort also received the entertainers badge for all the Gang was needed to make the show.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by notgonehome View Post
    When we had our district show any scout doing stage crew front of house etc who put in the effort also received the entertainers badge for all the Gang was needed to make the show.
    As a theatre techie who has just got back from 14 hours straight in the theatre doing lighting design for a show, I know how frustrating it is when the cast gets all the credit for the show! However the requirements of the entertainers badge surround actually appearing 'on stage' i.e. performing and I do not agree with rewarding front of house volunteers or stage crew with their entertainers badge.

I dont know of any badges front of house work could count towards unfortunately.
    Dave Moorcroft

SL - 1st Englefield Green Scout Group, Surrey
    Chair - Scout Delegation to the British Youth Council

Scouting, Studenthood and Stage Management - visit my blog

Thanks
    Entertainer Activity Badge (Scout section)

Published on: 05/11/2008

Alternative B

1. Take an active part in a Scout Show or other production. This should require a commitment to regular rehearsals.

Sorry, can't see where it says you need to be on stage, just take an 'active part'.
    Ian Thomas
    Scout Aviation Centre
    Biggin Hill Airport

Peter SL 18th Bolton Horw notgonehome's Avatar
    Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks

re Take an active part

Quote Originally Posted by snowdrop View Post

Alternative B

1. Take an active part in a Scout Show or other production. This should require a commitment to regular rehearsals.

Sorry, can't see where it says you need to be on stage, just take an 'active part'.
    I agree I did both in our shows and the gang members off stage put in as much effort as the ones on stage.
    I went to join the show the fist year I was chosen to be on stage the second year was picked for stage crew both times I was a gang member and received my necker badge etc.

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Published on: 05/11/2008Alternative B

Of course this constitutes an Entertainers badge for 'crew'. Without them, the entertainment wouldn't take place! Quite often, these people have put more time into creating the 'entertainment' than the onstage cast.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoorcroft View Post
    However the requirements of the entertainers badge surround actually appearing 'on stage' i.e. performing and I do not agree with rewarding front of house volunteers or stage crew with their entertainers badge.
    I agree that the waters are muddier when it comes to FOH but I am appalled to discover that there are shows where crew don't get the badge. One for Ewan to clarify, I think.
    Last edited by Dramatist; 12-04-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Added second quote

Thanks

Alternative B

Can I point out the second sentence of the badge requirements: "This should require a commitment to regular rehearsals"

Obvious if you are in the cast. Certainly acheiveable if you are on the crew and working on creating props or scenery or if you are designing a lighting plot.

However, in all the Gang Shows I've been involved in, Front of House staff are, as the name implies, only required when the show is being performed to the public. Don't get me wrong, they do a fantastic job, and are no more or less important than anyone else, BUT, there is a difference between the commitment needed elesewhere in a Gang Show and that needed for Front of House.

We recognise this by awarding our Gang Show scarf after 2 shows to anyone involved in the production from the start of rehearsals and after 3 shows for those involved only in show week.
    Richard Sams "Doughboy"

Account Closed
    Thanks
    Exactly how I read it, Richard. I think Dave needs to look again at crew getting the badge. Most of ours are at most, if not all rehearsals and of course they get the badge. Just a thought - does FOH constitute 'community service' or is that pushing it a bit as well?
    Last edited by Dramatist; 12-04-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks
    Yup thats where my problem is! We had 6 scouts who have attended rehersals since Januaury and who have worked really hard at learning their lines, movements etc. They have all earnt their entertainers badge, the other Scout worked equally hard doing front of house, collecting tickets, numbering chairs, helping people to their seats etc, however didnt do the months of rehersals, therefore not putting int he same commitment as everyone else!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramatist View Post
    Exactly how I read it, Richard. I think Dave needs to look again at crew getting the badge. Most of ours are at most, if not all rehearsals and of course they get the badge. Just a thought - does FOH constitute 'community service' or is that pushing it a bit as well?
    I've never been involved in a show where Front of House staff regularly attend rehearsals - there's just no need - and consequently this is why I dont think they should get the entertainers badge for their effort - I am by no means saying that they shouldnt be rewarded in some way - they are some of the most important people in the show in terms of on the night organisation and the health and safety of the patrons.

With regards to crew obtaining the badge, its down to common sense - if the crew have attended rehearsals or similar and been involved in constructing set/props in the run up to the show then they should probably get the badge. But if the crew, however just attended the tech and dress rehearsals and helped with the performances (as I know many, particularly younger stafe crew do) then I think it would be undermining the cast to award them with the entertainers badge.
    Dave Moorcroft

SL - 1st Englefield Green Scout Group, Surrey
    Chair - Scout Delegation to the British Youth Council

Scouting, Studenthood and Stage Management - visit my blog