Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Style Scout Belt/buckle

Thanks

Angry New Style Scout Belt/buckle

I'm quite new to scouting, but managed to get the old, more squared-off belt for my uniform. It is a great belt and I wear it all the time. The 'female' part of the buckle passes easily through my belt loops on all my trousers. the buckle also feels really solid.

However, and this is my gripe coming, I bought my two lads the new version, and to get it on or off the scout trousers (for washing etc...) the buckle diameter is so big that it has to be disassembled to pull the belt through.

After only 5 months of occasional use the belt (is it leather?) looks like its starting to delaminate due to the constant flexing as I attach/detach to buckle and the one of the leather loops which take up and tidy the slack bit of belt is lost, making for a scruffy look.

I'm not very happy with it - has this been brought up as an issue before, or am I fussing too much?
    ABSL 8th Mirfield, Heavy Woollen District, West Yorkshire

ESL, Dearne Devils Explorer Unit, Barnsley Explorers, South Yorkshire

Thanks
    I recently brought the old one as i liked it better!!

Not having the new belt i cant comment on it but listening to the older people in my district who have expanded abit so brought the new belts have moaned:

" back in my day there where alot better" etc etc etc xx
    CSL 2nd Northwood
    AESL Excalibur ESU
    GLMW Scout Network
    NSRA Rifle Instructor

bit of everything!
    Thanks
    My boy's belt only comes off about once a term to wash the trousers, so have had no problems so far.

Scout Leader
    Thanks
    The new belts in my opinion are awful, my old belt has lasted 13 years before it got a bit too tatty for formal wear. So I bought a new one too look a little smarter. As previously stated, the buckle is too big to fit the loops of my trousers. So I either have to wear it on top of another belt or take off a buckle to feed it through. I am also disappointed with the quality as it looks as if it starting to crack after only a few months of usage.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Akela View Post
    My boy's belt only comes off about once a term to wash the trousers,.
    ?!?

either - urgh! yuck...

or - what on earth are they doing?

Thanks
    If you are good with studs and punches you can replace the leather in older belts. I, as you might expect, like the scout belts with the two hooks for the knife and 3-metres of cord and the black enamel buckle. I have rebuilt a few belts using this process.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tdjno View Post
    If you are good with studs and punches you can replace the leather in older belts. I, as you might expect, like the scout belts with the two hooks for the knife and 3-metres of cord and the black enamel buckle. I have rebuilt a few belts using this process.

Not sure what you mean, but it sounds interesting - can you explain in greater detail?
    ABSL 8th Mirfield, Heavy Woollen District, West Yorkshire

ESL, Dearne Devils Explorer Unit, Barnsley Explorers, South Yorkshire

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by *kimmy* View Post
    I recently brought the old one as i liked it better!!

Not having the new belt i cant comment on it but listening to the older people in my district who have expanded abit so brought the new belts have moaned:

" back in my day there where alot better" etc etc etc xx
    Personally I like the new belt buckle. It is slightly bigger than the old one but that also makes the emblem bigger which I think is good as the old one was rather small. I did think that it would have been nicer if it had 'Be Prepared' on the rim but HQ told me that they were advised against that.

With regards to removing the buckle to take the belt off - to be honest I used to have to do that with the mushroom trousers and the newer combat ones. I did take to wearing a pre-1967 belt for many years too and had to remove the buckle to get that on the trousers too.

I cannot comment on the quality of the leather on the new belt as I already had the international scout belt, the centenary belt and the world janboree belt and as the buckles are are the same type of design just bought the buckle this time.

I wear the centenary belt for work and have had it 3 years and that is still fine.

Just my thoughts

Dave

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by shandy View Post
    Not sure what you mean, but it sounds interesting - can you explain in greater detail?
    Pre 1967 Scout belts were made from 3 pieces of leather and were joined at the hips with a large split ring (like a big key ring) with a clip on it for hanging things on. Nowadays it would be keys etc.

The buckle was a similar size to the new scout belt but was black and often chipped - so to keep it looking good it needed painting occasionally.

Paro of the uniform used to be a knife which if a penknife would be hung from one of the hooks, the other thing was a length of cord whch was coiled in a certain way and clipped to the other hook.

Dave
    Last edited by daveb123; 13-05-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Merged Double Post

Thanks
    The old style buckle I found to be a pain as it kept coming undone and the new ones are a pain as the buckle is too big so you have to seperate it from the belt every time you remove the belt.

I just bought the new buckle rather than the whole thing and used the old belt with it. Still annoying I have to seperate it ever time I need to wash my trousers but it does not take long to do.
    19th Thornhill SL Scouts
    Itchen North District

bit of everything!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    ?!?

either - urgh! yuck...

or - what on earth are they doing?
    They don't wear uniform when they are in the woods; charity nights are non uniform, so nights when they are in the hall means the trousers just need a brush down.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by awarner View Post
    The old style buckle I found to be a pain as it kept coming undone and the new ones are a pain as the buckle is too big so you have to seperate it from the belt every time you remove the belt.

I just bought the new buckle rather than the whole thing and used the old belt with it. Still annoying I have to seperate it ever time I need to wash my trousers but it does not take long to do.
    There are many people outside Scouting who wear fancy belt buckles to fasten belts that are functional (ie used on jeans rather than over jeans) and these also have to remove the buckle to take the belt off.

Is it that much of a chore to remove it and remember to keep the loops on the belt. If so why not keep with your old belt and buckle after all you can still get a new strip of leather if the old one wears out or 'shrinks'.

Dave

Thanks
    I quite like the look of the 'new' belt buckle. Can't comment on the quality of the leather. Is it possible they've gone back to using a fibre imitation of a leather belt? They did that in the early years of the square buckle, but so many people complained they introduced a leather version (more expensive) and quietly dropped the fibre one a while later. Perhaps they're chancing their arm again. If it is fibre people may also find another problem that cropped up at the time, branding! It used to be common practice that at many scout campsites you could get a brand on your belt, but the fibre belts either just disintegrates or melted.
    The size of the buckle and the belt loops I've had to live with all through my 'long trouser' scouting as being an Explorer Belt holder the buckle always has been bigger than the belt loops. That's a chore I am happy to accept for the honour of beinga holder of this award. (notice the sneaky way I slip in that bit of bragging).
    Swivel hooks....bring them back please. So useful. If not for knife and cord, then for key chains etc. By the way, TDJNO mentions studs that joined the three parts together, that was the boys version. The Scouter version was stitched instead. Two qualities of almost everything in those days, in uniform. Even the B-P hat had a 'scout' and a 'scouter' quality.
    Might be wrong but the Guide Association belt still does have at least one swivel ring I believe, and a buckle of similar dimension to our old square buckle. Keen person might just get one and get the local shoe repair man to swop the buckle and resew it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Sword View Post
    Swivel hooks....bring them back please. So useful. If not for knife and cord, then for key chains etc. By the way, TDJNO mentions studs that joined the three parts together, that was the boys version. The Scouter version was stitched instead. Two qualities of almost everything in those days, in uniform. Even the B-P hat had a 'scout' and a 'scouter' quality.
    Most of mine have got studs! But then I'm a 29" waist so I'm not quite sure where the cut off is. The early versions had different hooks too.

Pen knife should be on the left and the coiled cord on the right, and of course sheath knife on the back right.

The coiled rope is tied rather like a simple whipping but you fold the cord into 4, 20cm or so lengths and then coil the rope around and pull the ends through. One of those things that is probably easier to demonstrate!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 805 Posts
    I suspect they have gone for a fibre belt as a leather belt should last years and years. I had a belt for normal wear that was fibre, it only last 9 month of wearing it most days

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    as promised a picture of the scout belt (this one is stitched) I usually use with the accessories.
    Last edited by tdjno; 14-05-2010 at 07:06 PM.