Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student Union

Thanks

Student Union

Hi,

Without wishing to open a huge debate about the merits of SSAGO, Scout Network etc, does anyone know of any Network units registered with student unions.

Thanks

Martin

Thanks
    Nope, we keep talking about doing some joint activities though... but then we've been talking about that for over a year now...
    ASL...

Thanks

'Scouting and the Universities'

Hello Martin,

I along with about forty others attended a 'Conference' at Gilwell in February of this year about this very topic.

(I think there was a similar event in Yorkshire)

I was suprised that there was some concerns from certain Universities about their links with 'Scouts' and some of the activities promoted or associated with 'Scouting'.

I did write a short piece about the Gilwell event on 'Keith's Scout Forum site'.

There was some suggestion from the SA that there could be some follow up, although I have heard nothing further !?

Having a friend or some links with people who are already at the University is very important for allowing new Students to become settled.

I think 'Scouts' have a very important part to play in that process.

That 'link' certainly would not be recognised as an important factor by as many Universities as I would wish;so it would seem ?

Dr.Stu..

Thanks
    My university and our Guild have a policy of encouraging volunteering but they don't realy recognise volunteering that is organised outside of the set ways. Which means scouting and similar organisations don't see much of it.
    ASL...

Offshore sailing geek dannyweaver's Avatar
    Long Eaton, Derbyshire, East Midlands (I'm not a northerner)
    Thanks
    nothing in Derbyshire or that I've ever heard of elsewhere
    Dan Weaver
    Volunteer skipper & webmaster: Adventures Offshore [facebook] [twitter] [youtube]
    All posts are made in a personal capacity & any views expressed are not intended to represent those of the organisations I am affiliated with

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't think you're going to find one that's officially affiliated to a student union, due to the difference of fundamental values and membership requirements (the athiest issue).
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    I've never heard of a network being officially affiliated with a Student's union - my uni made it hard enough for the Scout and Guide society to be SU approved and SSAGO official....

And I'm not really sure what it would achieve. I mean, most term time networkers in a uni town or city seem to be the sort of young adults who are definitely not students (apologies for the huge sweeping generalisation, and no offence to either party!)
    The network here seem to meet up after work to relax, whereas the SSAGO meet up to *do* stuff, and keep the more relaxing stuff to exam season (eurgh, next week...)

I'd like the SSAGO and network (and rangers for that matter) to work more closely together, and there is good will from all parties at this point - we just need to get everyone together at the same time!

Thanks
    This is a very interesting topic as im about to approach my DC and ask if i can make some enquiries about establishing a network in our district (currently) without - and as a university student i have considered linking with the su in some way - dont want to setup a SSAGO as there is already a university of london SSAGO (which is extremely poor) and a SSAGO would exclude non-students in the area
    Dave Moorcroft

SL - 1st Englefield Green Scout Group, Surrey
    Chair - Scout Delegation to the British Youth Council

Scouting, Studenthood and Stage Management - visit my blog

Thanks
    My Network's had an offer, but we thought very little of it. In fact I thought with the existence of SSAGO I didn't even think it was possible so I didn't even follow it up.

What would associating yourself with a students union do? More advertisement through the uni. But is that it? Would it not bring with it restrictions?

Interested to find out more now. Maybe I was too quick before. Cheers.
    Yours in Scouting,
    Adam Douglas
    (Aberdeen Network Programme Coordinator)

AberdeenNetwork.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoorcroft View Post
    This is a very interesting topic as im about to approach my DC and ask if i can make some enquiries about establishing a network in our district (currently) without - and as a university student i have considered linking with the su in some way - dont want to setup a SSAGO as there is already a university of london SSAGO (which is extremely poor) and a SSAGO would exclude non-students in the area
    I know of SSAGO units that work jointly with Networks to various extents - so setting up both (containing the same people) might well give you the best of both worlds.

Neil

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Douglas View Post
    My Network's had an offer, but we thought very little of it. In fact I thought with the existence of SSAGO I didn't even think it was possible so I didn't even follow it up.

What would associating yourself with a students union do? More advertisement through the uni. But is that it? Would it not bring with it restrictions?
    Traditionally it was the case that Student's Unions wouldn't recognise uniformed organisations or those that had a restrictive membership policy (think atheists). SSAGO gets around both of those by not officially being uniformed and having an open membership policy (the only exception to that being a requirement for a Scouting/Guiding CRB).

The benefits tend to be in the form of subsidies (e.g. cheap/free meeting room hire and cheap minibus access).

Neil
    Last edited by Neil Williams; 30-05-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Merged Double Post

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    I don't think you're going to find one that's officially affiliated to a student union, due to the difference of fundamental values and membership requirements (the athiest issue).
    I am aware of two, and there are a couple more.

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martin1981 View Post
    I am aware of two, and there are a couple more.
    How do they get around the membership issues then?
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    How do they get around the membership issues then?
    Peter, I'll send you a PM with the details.

I have worked with student unions on and off since starting university 10 years ago.

The big, popular student unions generally make life very difficult for everyone because they can afford to be choosy about who is allowed in in terms of groups etc because there is demand. I remember speaking to a particular student union nearly 10 years ago, and they wanted several hundred pounds for a stall. Others had 15 hoops to jump through before registering, but this was not unique to Scouting it applied to all societies.

Others got confused about the risks associated with Scouting, and before everyone jumps on the bash the SU wagon, many outdoor activity clubs had the same problem. This means that at some university fledgling SSAGOs have been killed off because they are classed as sports societies and generally got charged a lot more for the sports fed membership or insurance. At Loughborough when I was there, it was about £40 for sports membership plus the cost of joining the club usually about £40, where as a society was about £10.

At the smaller unions like the one I went to in Carlisle, they were keen to support any student groups that were viable. The student population at the time was smaller than most secondary schools, although now is much larger. The SU actively supported the development of Scouting and Guiding in the college population, but in the three months I was there weren't many people interested!

In the time I was involved in SSAGO actively (2000-2005) I can only remember a couple of genunine issues with Students Unions being difficult, in several instances their stance was more than justified although I twisted one or two arms. In many other instances it was simply misunderstanding, like reading something about the BS of America and thinking the UK association was the same.
    Martin Whelan

-
    Thanks
    To me, it does seem that a SU-linked Network would be a new form of SSAGO: a form of evolved SSAGO, if you will. I don't see any advantages that an SSAGO might have over an SU-linked Network, but I can see the other way around...
    northernHathi
    MDM, CWM and E-Commerce Manager
    East Lancashire Scouts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by northernhathi View Post
    To me, it does seem that a SU-linked Network would be a new form of SSAGO: a form of evolved SSAGO, if you will. I don't see any advantages that an SSAGO might have over an SU-linked Network
    The fact that it is the Student Scout AND GUIDE Organisation may be relevant - a Network is only a halfway house to that!

As I say, though, Manchester has SSAGO and a very closely linked Network - that seems a decent way forward short of merging our two Associations - and I suggest that's one best left for another debate

Neil