Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football World Cub Night for Cubs

Cub Scout Leader
    Thanks

Football World Cub Night for Cubs

Is anyone else planning to do a World Cup Themed Night?

There's lots of angles you could take - like a South Africa Night, a Nations of the World Cup Night or a whacky football games night. We're thinking of doing both an outdoor and an indoor evening - I'd probably combine them if we had a grassy area close to our Scout Hut. But given that we don't I'm looking for both indoor and outdoor ideas to run one evening in the Hut and another in a local park.

INDOOR
    =======

Blow football tournament. Randomly assign World Cup Teams to pairs of Cubs. Run a mini-tournament.
    World Cup Facts Quiz - e.g. TRUE/FALSE kids run to one of the hall or the other.
    Game based on World Cup Football kits (working on this)
    And a couple of favourite Cub Games with a World Cup twist.

But we could also do Country bases - e.g South Africa/Brazil/Spain/Japan and do things (edible? craft?) based on those.

OUTDOOR
    ==========

Dizzy Penalties - Cubs run round post 5 times before attempting to score a penalty
    Football boot golf - welly throwing, with a target...and using football boots rather than wellies.
    Wide game with a football theme (working on that)

Any ideas anybody?? Thanks :-)
    Washathi, CSL 14th Southampton
    http://www.highfieldscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    I went on a Cub Training Day recently and we played a good Wide Game called 'The Oracle' that is adaptable to any theme and can be played for 2 teams and a large number of people. We had to find the person who had a ziplock bag/wallet of cards/paper that had the themed words written on them.

Our one we did was a circus theme but the theme could be changed to anything with football teams/countries written on each card. We were split into 2 teams. We all had to find the person with the cards and collect a card and then find someone on the other team, if we had the same card we had to go and find another person that had something different written on their card and then go to 'The Oracle' to find out which card won. 'The Oracle' is a leader with the instruction diagram (basically a circle with an odd number of football teams written on it around the circle with arrows in a clockwise direction between the team names). When we came up 'The Oracle' they'd check the chart to see how many teams there were behind or after the 2 team names presented to them and 'The Oracle' would declare who would win. The winning person would then claim the other person's card and at the end of the game the team with the most cards wins. 'The Oracle' and the person with the bag of cards can keep moving around your game area/woodlands to make it more fun.

There is probably a picture of the circle and a better explanation of how you count around the circle to work out which football team/object name/word written on the card wins on the internet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    I went on a Cub Training Day recently and we played a good Wide Game called 'The Oracle' that is adaptable to any theme and can be played for 2 teams and a large number of people. We had to find the person who had a ziplock bag/wallet of cards/paper that had the themed words written on them.

Our one we did was a circus theme but the theme could be changed to anything with football teams/countries written on each card. We were split into 2 teams. We all had to find the person with the cards and collect a card and then find someone on the other team, if we had the same card we had to go and find another person that had something different written on their card and then go to 'The Oracle' to find out which card won. 'The Oracle' is a leader with the instruction diagram (basically a circle with an odd number of football teams written on it around the circle with arrows in a clockwise direction between the team names). When we came up 'The Oracle' they'd check the chart to see how many teams there were behind or after the 2 team names presented to them and 'The Oracle' would declare who would win. The winning person would then claim the other person's card and at the end of the game the team with the most cards wins. 'The Oracle' and the person with the bag of cards can keep moving around your game area/woodlands to make it more fun.

There is probably a picture of the circle and a better explanation of how you count around the circle to work out which football team/object name/word written on the card wins on the internet.

We're doing a beaver cirucs theme sleepover soon so liked the sound of that, but i am completely confused as to what you have to do, do you have a link to anyone else who has explained it!?!?
    Alex Hampson

Scout Leader
    9th Farnborough Scout Group

www.9thfarnboroughscoutgroup.org.uk

It's true we don't know what we've got until its gone, but we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

bit of everything!
    Thanks
    Indoor football craft - making simple rosettes, maybe in different colours

Thanks
    Hi Alex

I will look up today the instructions from our Beaver and Cub Scout Training Day and have a look at the disc we were given as I'm sure the game is on there. It is excellent as it can be adapted to suit any theme.

Basically there is a person handing out cards, you compare cards with a person from the opposing team and need to find a different card from what you have, when you've done that go to 'The Oracle' the person who has the diagram that shows which card beats which (it is very much like Trumps in that way) and you either give up or claim your opponents card and then you go off to find the person with the cards and it all carries on!

I'll come back to you later today.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
    I ran a world cup evening for our Explorers on Friday. We had a quiz that had a round on where the countries competing in the world cup are (you could do which flag for Cubs instead), a round of multiple choice questions about southern African countries and a round of multiple choice questions about South Africa.

We also did a sweepstake for the World Cup (out all the teams in a hat and have each Cub draw a team out at random) with a small prize for the person who has the team that ends up winning the world cup.

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Alex - I've emailed you the instructions for 'The Oracle' as I have them in a Pdf file on a CD and did not know how to link to them on here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyB View Post
    Alex - I've emailed you the instructions for 'The Oracle' as I have them in a Pdf file on a CD and did not know how to link to them on here.
    If you wouldn't mind I'd be interested in seeing them, too. (email baloo at 2ndbracknell dot co dot uk)

Thanks
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Hi all

Emails now sent to Alex, Neil and Peter. Let me know if anyone else wants the instructions!

Thanks

I'd like them please!!

I'd like the instructions for the oracle game too please.

Do you have any idea where I can find more rules to wide games online? I'm a newbie and taking cubs away on a sleepover and I have no idea what games to play!

Thanks

Email is: nikki_costello at yahoo dot co dot uk
    Last edited by MikeJ; 03-06-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: edited e-mail to stop spam

Thanks
    me too please!! have pm'd my email address.

Thanks
    pm sent for instruction

we need a page for resourses that we can all post into
    assistant cub scout leader with 7th preston cub scouts
    xbox live gamertag billybobs
    i bounced once and never went back up

Thanks
    Update - instructions now sent to Raksha, Dinky Doo! and Nikki. I will have to learn how to do attachments! I thought you had to have the arcticle you are attaching on a website to be able to hyperlink but can you just hyperlink to it safely when the file is on a CD or your hard disk without uploading it first?

If so, I'll put the articles on here! Let me know how I do it!

Thanks
    Sandy
    You have two choices, you can attach it directly to the message but that only works for relatively small files (390kB for pdf, 100kB for most other formats) or you can insert a hyperlink to another web site where you have stored the files using tags [url]the hyperlink address[/ url]. (Note the space after the / in the last tag should not be there, I added so that it would not act as an actual hyperlink!)

You could have the file on your home PC but then your computer would have to be a server on the web. It is usually easier to use an external server that provides this service, often for free.
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    Hi Doug

Thanks for explaining that! So if I attach it to a post and it is a small file is my computer then acting as a server? I don't want anyone to be able to access my files on my computer by the document being attached.

I do have an old website for a project I've not worked on for 8years that I could upload articles to but it is a long time now since I've done it and I'm not sure I can remember how I used to upload the pages. I'll have to try and have a practise soon as it could be useful!

I've just made a section of rope tonight from sheets from a good brand of toilet roll with my son using an old hand drill! He wants to make some from long liquorice strands now!

Thanks for your help.