Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not allowed to come to Cubs as punishment

Thanks

Not allowed to come to Cubs as punishment

escouts collective wisdom would be appreciated on how to deal with this, in twenty five years I'd thought I'd heard it all.

Have a Cub that hasn't been for a few weeks ( 7 ). I have phoned, left messages on answer phone and emailed, finally got this reply.

XXXXXX has been naughty at school for some weeks, so when he can behave he will be back XXXX

My problem is, what do I do? Parents are phoning me for places and with Beavers coming up will be at 36 next week.

I have no wish to tell the parents that if he is out any longer there is no place for him, but another YP could have his place if they still give him this punishment.

Graham

Thanks
    Did they tell you at the start of the seven weeks that they were doing this or did you find out by phoning them?
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

ESL - Young Leaders
    Thanks
    Graham, I sympathise. However, the situation has gone on too long. Our Group policy is that if a YP misses 3 meetings w/o making contact to let us know why, then that place is allocated to someone on the waiting list.

Personally, I would email the parent, put them on notice that regrettably the place will lapse if regular attendance does not resume immediately. Explain that you have a long waiting list and the onus is on them to keep you informed. Personally, I think its a naff reason to hold a place open. Illness or family problems but not being naughty at school. This YP has missed a great deal and it will be like starting new. Time to put your foot down firmly but fair.
    Ruth

Lovin' my gadgets!

Thanks
    It surprises me that it's taken 25 years for this to happen to you.

It's how parents punish kids - take something away that they enjoy whether that be the Xbox or attending Cubs.

I don't think you should give his place away at Cubs. That would defeat the purpose of him being punished by his parents. The fact that it's being used as a punishment clearly displays that he enjoys his time there.

If it goes on for a protracted period of time such as this, then explain your position to his parents about other kids wanting to join the Cubs and being on waiting lists. You'll find he'll be back right after that. However, be ready for the parents coming back at you if they have paid that terms subs and you have no policy in place explaining that if a Cub is absent for X amount of weeks then he/she loses his/her place in the Cub Pack to someone on the waiting list.

Talk with the parents.
    Last edited by GordyC; 01-06-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Woodford Halse, Daventry, Northamptonshire
    Thanks
    just remember Only a GSL can ask a YP to leave so before you make a dession talk to your GSL.
    David Curtis
    Escouts Moderator
    Ecamp2009 - All the way with the epolice
    Ecamp2008 - All the way
    Ecamp2006 - (well for 1 night may be)
    GSL - 1st Woodford Halse
    County Media Manager Northamptonshire
    Web & Communications for
    www.northantsscouts.org.uk
    www.daventryscouts.co.uk
    www.woodfordhalsescouting.co.uk
    Please make all support requests to the forum or the helpdesk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisuk View Post
    just remember Only a GSL can ask a YP to leave so before you make a dession talk to your GSL.
    Hes not actually asking the YP to leave, hes telling them that they need to start attending regularly by X weeks or their place will have to be reallocated to another yp that wants to attend.

If they dont attend after being told this then they are effectively saying "I dont want to come back"

-
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boomer_ie View Post
    If they dont attend after being told this then they are effectively saying "I dont want to come back"
    "Effectively", maybe. But that is not definite. Personally, I see the only fair way to do this is to contact the parents themselves.
    northernHathi
    MDM, CWM and E-Commerce Manager
    East Lancashire Scouts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by northernhathi View Post
    "Effectively", maybe. But that is not definite. Personally, I see the only fair way to do this is to contact the parents themselves.
    Sorry yes i did mean contacting the cubs and parents not just the cub.

Thanks
    7 weeks? That's ridiculous. 1 week - OK, 2 weeks - mebbe, 3 weeks - scuse me?

Punishment should be immediate and proportionate. 7 weeks is neither unless the YP is completely out of control.

Publish the 3/4 weeks without a good (acceptable to the leaders) reason and your place is gone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Airobat View Post
    Punishment should be immediate and proportionate. 7 weeks is neither unless the YP is completely out of control
    With no information about why or how the parents are punishing their child it seems a little unreasonable to condemn them.

Thanks
    It is just as unreasonable for a parent to not send their child to Cubs for seven weeks without any attempt to inform the leaders that they are not coming or of the reason.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ASLChris View Post
    It is just as unreasonable for a parent to not send their child to Cubs for seven weeks without any attempt to inform the leaders that they are not coming or of the reason.
    Really? Just as unreasonable? Comparing a relatively minor inconvenience to the leaders to condemning parents for trying to do their best?

Who knows what they are having to deal with. Cubs may entirely reasonably be the last thing they need to think about.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lambert View Post
    Really? Just as unreasonable? Comparing a relatively minor inconvenience to the leaders to condemning parents for trying to do their best?

Who knows what they are having to deal with. Cubs may entirely reasonably be the last thing they need to think about.
    Would it be acceptable to not go to school/work for seven weeks without without letting anyone know? No.

If they can think enough about Cubs to tell little Johnny that he isn't going, they can surely think enough to call the leaders and let them know? Especially for seven weeks in a row - one or even two could be accepted, but SEVEN?! And it isn't necessarily a "minor inconvenience" to leaders. What if events have been planned around specific numbers?
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    I seem to have this with my beavers and cubs quite often, usually they miss a week or 2 but I did have a cub who we were told would return when he learnt to behave, that was before christmas and he's never returned! And more recently a beaver who again we were told wasn't behaving and would be back in around 2 weeks if he started behaving, this was now 11 weeks ago, well 11 since the first week missed, 5 since the contact. And I'm now stuck on whether to ring again and to ask again if he is returning or to just wait and find out?

I don't have a waiting list some don't need to worry about realocating his place, but with your cub I''d say push for whether or not he'll be returning as my long term punishments don't seem to ever return!

Thanks
    I had been trying to contact parents since week 2 without any reply.

Possible reason I havent't come across this before is because I took on various other roles at District and County after 6 years as a CSL, have only been back for last two years after the Group requested District support,said I'd give them three months too find a Leader.

I can honestly say I have never come across this or heard of this before now.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Graham