Thread: Youth Opportunities Fund/Youth Capital Fund

Thanks

Youth Opportunities Fund/Youth Capital Fund

We made an application to these - Scouts and an ASL put a lot of work into drawing it up, I and my ASL and a Scout went to an interview about it, and we were told that the decision would be announced by Friday 4th June.

Today I get an email from the Council saying that because of uncertainty over funding they don't know when they will be able to make a decision.

Anyone else got an application in for the current round? What have your experiences been?

Thanks
    The idea was that this year was going to be the last year of fundin for YOF/YCF, I know this as in East Riding of Yorkshire I am actually on the panel h gives out the money.
    In terms of you being told that you may not gt money, this could be that your authority already have a large number of aplications in and so may not know whether they will have money remaioning after these have been funded. Was it Youth Opps or Youth capital that you went in for as I have fou that many authorities do not get enough bids for Yout Capital so why not get some improvements done to th scout hut and apply for a YCF?

Personally I know that my local authority are hopefully continuing with a similar sort of fund which will come out of its own budget from next ear to be able to keep this grat scheme alive. I will update on this when I find out if it will still be on nx year.
    Also if anyone does fill out an application and would like someone on a youth panel to look thrug i send ur application to jamie [underscore] wilson 2005 [at] yahoo. co [dot] uk
    You only live life once, So live a scouting life

Its not what you do, its how you do it. Cos every thing is gonna be right in the end

Thanks
    We went for both. We had already been told that the decision was delayed until the 4th because of the large number of applications.

The communication on Thursday the 3rd was that no-one will get anything for the forseeable future (not just us).
    Last edited by DuncanHill; 08-06-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: dates help

Thanks
    I asked the Department for Education what was going on with these grants and this is what they said:
    Dear Mr Hill

Thank you for your email of 4 June, about the future of the Youth Opportunity Fund and Youth Capital Fund.

The Government has confirmed that funding for the Youth Opportunity Fund remains available in 2010-11 for young people to make decisions on funding for activities in their area. However, within the context of the need for local government to contribute to government savings of £6.2 billion in 2010-11, the ‘ring fence’ around the grant has been removed to give local areas more flexibility. This was announced on 10 June by the Department for Communities and Local Government.

The Department has not taken any decisions on the Youth Capital Fund.

I hope that you that you will hear news about your bid soon, if you have not already done so.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 807 Posts
    So basically your local council has been forced to raid the fund by cut back in central government funding. Great

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    So basically your local council has been forced to raid the fund by cut back in central government funding. Great
    No, they haven't been forced to raid it, they've misled applicants by pretending that the government told them not to make the grants, when the government said no such thing.

The council have got the money and are free to make the grants - and if they'd made them when they said they would, it would have been a whole week before the government removed the ring-fencing on YOF. The funding for the YCF is still ring-fenced, but the council are still not releasing it. I expect the council are deliberately delaying the grants in the hope that the ring-fencing will be removed from them too.

Thanks
    Basically the councils can now decide on their own whther to let the funding stay for the last year, but they can take as much or as little as they want when they want from now on. I know in my local authority they are not taking the money at the moment so we are continuing with our monthly panel meetings sotat we can give away as much of the money as we can before they he the chance to take any
    You only live life once, So live a scouting life

Its not what you do, its how you do it. Cos every thing is gonna be right in the end

Thanks

Exclamation

URGENT - if anyone can give me any information about councils that have made YOF/YCF grants this year and actually paid out, I would be very gratefull.

I'm putting together a deputation to our Council Cabinet meeting about the funds, and need to submit it by noon Thursday!

Thanks
    Duncan,

Kent County Council has just recently awarded Kent County Scout Council £155,000 to build a new climbing facility at our new County Barn - Lower Grange Farm.

I've only seen the info via "Kent Scout" on facebook at the moment, but we've all been told they've definately paid out.

Kent County Council's section about YOF/YCF now says on the website that any future applications wont be accepted as theres no guarentee of funding.

Thanks
    Update - we were awarded £6000 in the Youth Capital Fund (had bid for 9) - a splendid result. Still no news on YOF - BUT the council have stated that they will be proceeding with YCF and YOF in full this year, despite the removal of ringfence from YOF and the halving of the government funding for YCF.

This result came after a frantic week or so of lobbying, with great support from colleagues in our local Community and Voluntary Sector Forum. My presentation to the Council Cabinet today was received very positively by both councillors and members of the public, very gratifying as it was rather nerve wracking!

Well worth networking with other community groups to share information and support each other.