Thread: YL Questions

Thanks

YL Questions

I am trying to get some facts straight for a County YL website and there is a certain amount of "local rules" or other myths to get through, so some help from the wise please!

a) is there a rule that a Scout cannot be a YL with the Troop they have just left for 6 months?
    b) is there a rule that YL cannot do Adult First Response at all or until a certain age?
    c) who can sign off a DofE logbook for YL training and/or YL service?

I will probably think of some more soon!

Many thanks
    John Alexander,
    ASL and Assistant Webmaster
    1st Weald Brook
    http://www.1stwealdbrook.org.uk
    ESL(YL) Brentwood District

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 807 Posts
    a) No its a guideline (there is also a guideline that no section should have more than 3 YLs)
    b) Not that I am aware but I can see why places on an Adult oriented FR course might be restricted to Adult Leaders who are required to do it every 3 years
    c) Technically the DESC but to be honest the Leader of the section they have helped with will have more idea what to write in the logbook

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    As per usual petes answers are spot on.... some observations

a) is generally a good piece of guidance, although it depends on the prospective-YL it does need an attitude change from both the prospective-YL and the troop.

With c I would hope that the DESC signs it off in consultation with the ESL(YL) and the section leader.
    Mike Hudgell
    ESL (YL) Worthing - worthingyl.info

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wealdbrook View Post
    I am trying to get some facts straight for a County YL website and there is a certain amount of "local rules" or other myths to get through, so some help from the wise please!

a) is there a rule that a Scout cannot be a YL with the Troop they have just left for 6 months?
    In POR? No. There is a recommended 'separation' of 6 months. Why? Two possible reasons: 1. The break ensures that the YL comes back to the Troop as a YL not a 'big scout' and is given respect that their new role deserves by the younger scouts. They are different. And the 6 month break underlines that difference hopefully to the benefit of all; 2. It stops the new YL effectively staying in the troop and the SL effectively running an extended age programme for the scout section. Yes it supposedly does stop people from getting around the 14.5 age limit barrier.

(People attach cynicism to both of these in different ways. I just say the reasons as they are.)

b) is there a rule that YL cannot do Adult First Response at all or until a certain age?
    No. Some adult first aid courses have a 16 year old entrance limit. (Often to get around perceived CP issues.)

If the course provider is willing to accept them, then I don't see why not?

Why not ask whoever provides the FA in your locale if they can take on YLs?

But no, there is no specific rule.

c) who can sign off a DofE logbook for YL training and/or YL service?

I will probably think of some more soon!

Many thanks
    The responsibility for signing off rests with the DESC. Many DESCs will appoint a nominee to do the job. Many DESCs also do this in partnership with the ESL(YL). When I was a DESC I used to do this closely with my ESL(YL) and gave her the signing authority - they were in the best place to do so and more knowledgeable about hte candidates. When I was ESL(YL) the DESC used to ask me to do it as her nominee.

Answer is DESC or nominee according to local policy.

Oh and I agree with the other posts. Spot on both of them.

Adieu, TM