Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Becoming Akela!

Thanks

Becoming Akela!

Just a quick one, I'm taking over as cub leader as of tomorrow, and I've been told I have to be Akela as all cun leaders are, and currently I am Kaa. I'm not taking over from anybody, the pack has not had an Akela for several years, just a leader who was willing to keep the pack running but not be cub leader,

How do I explain to my cubs that they now have to call me Akela and I'm not Kaa anymore? Or can I actually just stay as Kaa?

Is this another 'local rule' or is it actually a rule?

How have other people who have changed roles done this?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Generally the leader who takes over is Akela, I would change to Akela as you will get rid of the current lot and get a new lot who will wonder why you aren't Akela.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    In my first incarnation in Cubs I was also Kaa, but I became Akela overnight.

The leader of the Cub Pack is very traditionally Akela and you just need to announce that.

There are no rules, but you might prefer to stick with this tradition. The Cubs will adapt in no time!
    Akela, 1st Tylers Hill

Yes, those are my legs - and my hiking boots too!

Thanks
    The cub leader is traditionally called Akela. If your pack follows the traditions and by the fact you already have a Jungle Book name, I would suggest you do.

Explain to the pack that you are now Akela as you have taken on the leadership of the pack. I would also suggest that you keep the name Kaa reserved for you should you go back and on District or large events you can be Akela Kaa and you won't have to respond when you hear, "Akela!"
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Hi Jen,

As far as I know there is no rule that all CSLs have to be Akela. It is traditional for the CSL to be Akela as "leader of the pack", but you don't have to be!

Presumably the other leader was the CSL (after all somebody has to be in charge) but they didn't take the name Akela, so presumably kept their existing Cub name.

When I took over as CSL, I kept my old name. We still do the Grand Howl with the Akela bit in and it does cause some confusion with vistors, but it is the way I like it!

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

I can see I am likely to be in a minority here!
    Last edited by BigBadBaloo; 07-09-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Merged Double Post
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post

Northing wrong with being different.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    If you are, then so am I.

Despite my view above my pack doesn't follow the traditional route and I am called Shaun.

It does make life easier on a large event as the kids know who I am and use the same name as the leaders. There is nothing worse when trying to get the leader for a distressed child and they can only tell you that he is called 'Akela'
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    I recently went for a day visit to a camp organised by my group's former Akela, for his current pack. I was quite happy to be introduced to the yp as Peter, but Akela introduced me as Baloo. His ACSL was also on camp and is aslo called Baloo, so I quickly became Baloo2 and she of course was Baloo1 for the day.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    I handed Cubs over this time last year, so ceased to be Akela and became Skip. The Cubs got used to it very quickly, mainly because 'new' Akela stopped answering to her old name.

It has taken longer for me to get used to not being Akela. I still respond by reflex action when I hear that name called! Old habits die hard after nine years.
    Howard
    Joined as a Cub in 1980
    ACSL 1991 to 2000
    CSL 2000 to 2009
    Acting GSL 2002 to 2010
    SL 2008 to 2011
    GSL 2010 onwards. To retirement?!
    www.evingtonscouts.org.uk
    @19thLeicester
    19th Leicester (Evington) Scout Group

Thanks
    When I first started running the group, it was a joint thing with another leader. I became 'Ark' and she 'Ayla' (this was after it was suggested by a Cub that I was trying to explain why I wasn't called Akela to) The other leader has since moved to pastures new, but I still stick with 'Ark' Occassionally a new parent or child will refer to me as Akela, and I always answer- but it is really handy at big events because I am always the only one!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    Just a quick one, I'm taking over as cub leader as of tomorrow, and I've been told I have to be Akela as all cun leaders are, and currently I am Kaa. I'm not taking over from anybody, the pack has not had an Akela for several years, just a leader who was willing to keep the pack running but not be cub leader,

How do I explain to my cubs that they now have to call me Akela and I'm not Kaa anymore? Or can I actually just stay as Kaa?

Is this another 'local rule' or is it actually a rule?

How have other people who have changed roles done this?

Thanks!
    In our pack we don't have an Akela. None of us wanted to be called that, and all preferred other Jungle Book names, so we stuck with those.

Thanks
    Same here, I'm Bagheera still pack leader and we still do the akela bit during grand howl. All my yp's know why they say akela during grand howl so thats the important bit.

Thanks
    Cubs are very accepting of this sort of thing and it only takes a few weeks to bed in but it's up to you. You don't even have to use the jungle book theme if you don't want to although most of the packs that I know of that opted out have quietly opted back in.

Our last camp was a joint one with 2 other packs and we had Old Akela, Ugly Akela and Nice Akela .

Thanks
    Nope, no rule. Not all Packs use Jungle Book names.

I was Akela and when I moved to Scouts and Bagheera took over, she became Akela, but you don't have to.

Akela means the Leader of the Pack. In jungle book, that's exactly what Akela was. You can still be Kaa if you prefer, but use Akela when you do the Grand Howl (if you choose to use the Grand Howl, that is!)

Thanks
    I think from what people have said although there is no rule I should probably take the name Akela, I do stick to the jungle book theme with the leaders names and I have always seen Akela as being the cub leader.

I guess to be honest it's not really so much the dislike of the name or not wanting it, but more the responsibility that I associate with the name!