Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for Bob-a-Job again?

Thanks

Time for Bob-a-Job again?

I know this has now gone for some associations but is it time for a job week again. Seems to be working elsewhere?
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/loca...-naval-vessels
    Enjoying the great outdoors in New Zealand

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    among other jobs that we did as scouts 20 years ago, we spent a good couple of hours cleaning an altar and working for a chap who was a priest in a version of the Catholic Church.

nothing happened... he fussed around us and was v nice... he also once had a rather odd conversation with me while i was delivering papers...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/10+YEA...EST-a061286962

bob-a-a-job was the introduction, the later conversation was a cackhanded attempt at grooming.

No... we won't be going back to bob-a-job any time soon.

(Doing odd jobs for family and friends, - monitored by parents, is a different matter)

Thanks
    Given the lessons learned from that then Chris an updated Job Week would be okay given certain conditions and restraints? We see All sorts of people in positions of power doing this from time to time including Scout Leaders. You will always have the bad people in society but hey look at the good ones too!
    Last edited by NO1; 14-09-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NO1 View Post
    Given the lessons learned from that then Chris an updated Job Week would be okay given certain conditions and restraints?
    as i said

(Doing odd jobs for family and friends, - monitored by parents, is a different matter)

but no... i will not be introducing my scouts to people about whom i know nothing, giving them free access to start friendships and build up trust.

Thanks
    as i said

"Given the lessons learned from that then Chris an updated Job Week would be okay"

Wouldnt want anyone going down the path of "introducing my scouts to people about whom i know nothing, giving them free access to start friendships and build up trust"

Thanks
    The main purporse of Bob-a-job week when I was a scout was to help the scout troop raise funds to pay the annual cappitation.

As it is now possilble to pack bags at the end of the tills in Sainsburys and generate about £10/hour/till then lets move with the time and fundraise in way that generates more that 5p for an hours work.

YIS

K
    Chris Meadows
    ACC Explorers

Avon Scout County
    Web: www.jabbering.co.uk
    Web: www.avonscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    I know this has now gone for some associations but is it time for a job week again. Seems to be working elsewhere?
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/loca...-naval-vessels
    The simple answer no.

I remember dong doing jobs like gardenening and getting a Bob, people abused the situation as it was Bob-a-Job.

Even when the name changed to Job Week it did not work.

It is much better that if you are doing work in the community that it is organised as a team project for the community.

If you want to raise funds then do some proper fund raising.

Thanks
    I remember getting much more.......but thats just life!

"It is much better that if you are doing work in the community that it is organised as a team project for the community"

So bob-a-job under a new/new name that is group organised and is for the community.
    Could Work?

Was there a consultation document on this back then or was it just a NO?

Thanks
    "It is much better that if you are doing work in the community that it is organised as a team project for the community"

So bob-a-job under a new/new name that is group organised and is for the community.
    Could Work?

Does work
    Cromwell District did something along the community project work lines as part of a big District event, named that part Scout Burst. Worked really well thanks to the chap organising it and the enthusiasm of the Scouts, the local community received it well too. There is a bit about it on this page http://www.cambridgeshirescouts.org....ell/plus2d.htm
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Do we "SA" not have a community badge under which this would fall?

We've done work for other charities, and private individuals where that individual is known to us, garden/field clearing, burning stuff, etc etc.

But yes, some abused the bob-a-job system, even in the late 70's a clean car was worth more than 10p for me and 10p for my mate, and yes, sorry madam, but your car isn't that clean as you were also too tight fisted to give us hot water.

Ian
    Ian Wilkins
    Farnham District Explorer Scout Commissioner

Jambowlree - Worldwide Scout Ten Pin Bowling Competition
    All sections, all countries, runs December 2018 - May 2019
    http://www.jambowlree.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 797 Posts
    No thanks to bob-a-job or Scout Job week. However we as I am sure many others will happily do community service type stuff but we do this on an ad-hoc basis for free or maybe a donation its done supervised by Leaders and as a properly organised activity. (Classic example is we do litter picking out of the garden of the Church we meet in as its on a main street it gets a lot of rubbish chucked in it)

If we want to raise funds then we do a proper dedicated fund raising activity so bag packing, sponsored event etc.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Thanks for that Wolfie..........I thought it might work and here is the proof. Different name more protected regime and Bob-a-Job in a more safe environment.
    That must have been a great way to promote the Scouting activities and Scouts in general.

One thing bob-a-job did was really promote Scouts so a week every year at the same time in a similar way to the above could get funds and great publicity. A great concerted effort from all in Scouting each year at the same time. This becomes a Sport relief type PR or Children in Need PR. We did it first its just that we didn’t change to accommodate the risks.

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

Pete,

Thanks for that so its no to a bob-a-job

But as you say;

"If we want to raise funds then we do a proper dedicated fund raising activity so bag packing, sponsored event etc."

If we did this altogether at one week each year think of the mass PR gained from this?
    Last edited by NO1; 14-09-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Merged Double Post

Thanks
    we did bob-a-job over the holidays for cubs, for if they helped at home, they could also get a badge from it, but we decided to call it something else than home help, so called it a bob-a-job as they did get paid for it.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    I remember getting much more.......but thats just life!

Could Work?

Was there a consultation document on this back then or was it just a NO?
    I would suggest that normally if you are doing jobs in the community like litter picks, community gardens etc that you do it for the community - community spirit etc, use towards awards if necessary. Other wise people think Scouts only do jobs for money.

The consultation document regarding the demise of Job Week was not needed as over a period of time fewer and fewer people took part. When it got to the point of it not being worth HQ sourcing or producing the materials and advertising to support it, they decided to stop that support. That does not mean that individual Groups could not do something.

Instead HQ started getting other funding means in place like Sainsburys etc.

If when you get back into Scouting there is nothing stopping your new Group doing jobs in the community for cash - but most of us would rather fund raise in other ways.

Thanks
    Dave, I think its the bob for a job thats getting in peoples way........

You Say,

"I would suggest that normally if you are doing jobs in the community like litter picks, community gardens etc that you do it for the community - community spirit etc, use towards awards if necessary. Other wise people think Scouts only do jobs for money."

If everyone when doing their fundraising did at the same time for one week each year the PR around the UK would be enormous.

People could always do community service at no cost at other times or we could set another week for community service?