Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Young Leaders attending Group Meetings?

Thanks

Young Leaders attending Group Meetings?

We have just had one of our Group Leaders meetings. We have one each term for the GSL to pass on information and for discussions between all the Leaders from all the Sections.

It has been suggested that the Young Leaders should be invited along to join in as it will help with their development and training.

There were mixed views on whether they should for various reasons:
    1. The pub venue not being appropriate (move to the HQ?)
    2. Safeguarding(?) issues as it is outside the normal meeting time.
    3. As they shouldn't have 'responsibility' it is not relevent to them.

These are not my views just a few that came out at the meeting.

I personally feel that they should be treated with respect and as part of the team. If you exclude them from the meetings you are basically telling them they are just glorified PLs. We are told to include them in Section planning so why not at Group level as well as this will impact on the other.

What are peoples thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 844 Posts
    We have YLs come to their Section's Leadership meetings but not the Group Scouter's meeting as its basically not really all that relevant to them and can be a bit formal and boring. We don't want to put them off from attending the Sectional Leaders meetings which are more about programme and activity planning which is more relevant to them.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Young Leaders should be attending Section Leadership Team meetings for Programme planning as they are part of the team.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    I would tend to treat Young Leaders in the same way as Leaders as far as possible and try to involve them as much as possible.

Thanks

YLs

We have them along for the section leaders meetings to plan section activities, but not in the group leaders meetings.
    Just.....because...
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdav View Post
    1. The pub venue not being appropriate (move to the HQ?)
    2. Safeguarding(?) issues as it is outside the normal meeting time.
    3. As they shouldn't have 'responsibility' it is not relevent to them.
    1. Not having the meeting in a pub (unless it's one that allows children, of course), would seem to make sense.

2. Irrelevant, so long as the normal yellow card rules apply. (You'll have a higher adult-child ratio than any Section meeting!) After all, a camp is also outside the normal meeting time. Safeguarding has nothing to do with it at all.

3. Some may argue this - they might want to be involved, they might not. I don't think there's harm in it - you might want to ask them if they're interested or not.

Neil

Thanks
    Ours are expected to attend the Section leadership meetings and also invited to attend the full group leadership meetings, funny how we get more of the YLs at that when there is food on offer

Those that progress to becoming adult leaders (not just with us) have found it helpful to take part as YLs, so they understand what goes on, what's expected etc. In many meetings their teenage view is very valuable to what we are discussing, and impacts on decisions.

We don't tend to hold any of these meetings in the pub anyway, for a variety of reasons such as child care or they won't let us share practical firelighting skills in the bar
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    YLs are allowed to come to our leaders meetings as stuff is relivent to them as it can also help them. although our last one did have bits about our environmental weekend in whiich is primarily organised by YLs.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    The Group Scouters Meeting is the one forum we have to discuss the YL themselves - so best if they're not normally there.

Thanks
    I attend all meeting really at my group. Section meeting and Exec meeting as i am very involved and run a lot of the fundraising so is important i am there!

Ask them if they wish to come, don't make it mandatory!
    Alex Hampson

Scout Leader
    9th Farnborough Scout Group

www.9thfarnboroughscoutgroup.org.uk

It's true we don't know what we've got until its gone, but we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Asst Sea Scout Leader GuruChris's Avatar
    Thanks
    Our YLs are all invited to attend the GSL's meetings, although in practice they rarely do (don't really blame them).

They do however attend the Troop Leaders' Meetings, which are more useful (and where things actually get achieved... ).

Thanks
    Meetings shouldn't be in the pub anyway! [/endpersonalview]

Our YLs tend to come (as has already been said above) to section leaders meetings, our Group Scouters meeting tends to just be section leaders or a nominated assistant to keep them to slightly smaller numbers.

Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weefatbob View Post
    Meetings shouldn't be in the pub anyway! [/endpersonalview]
    While I know our views on alcohol have differed in the past, I think I agree here. Whenever we have meetings in the pub, we tend to wander from the point a lot more - I think the environment encourages it. So we often have the actual meeting in the hut then go to the pub afterwards. This seems to work quite well.

Neil

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David D Miller View Post
    The Group Scouters Meeting is the one forum we have to discuss the YL themselves - so best if they're not normally there.
    can i ask why? Would you discuss your section assistants in these meetings? or your Assistant Leaders?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
    While I know our views on alcohol have differed in the past, I think I agree here. Whenever we have meetings in the pub, we tend to wander from the point a lot more - I think the environment encourages it. So we often have the actual meeting in the hut then go to the pub afterwards. This seems to work quite well.

Neil
    Neil - we agree here. We usually either meet in someone's house or in the hall, then go for a drink afterwards (which I usually end up buying!). Not only does the conversation (quite naturally I think) wander from the agenda, but I find it difficult to be formal at all in a pub (i.e. to have a written agenda and stick to it) and it doesn't seem appropriate to talk about issues with individual young people or leaders or funding etc in a public place.

Bob