Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What a crap night @ scouts

Thanks

Angry What a crap night @ scouts

Just got back from Scouts.

What an annoying night it was. None of the scouts listened, did their own thing.

We played some really good games, which they enjoyed. They got down to Badge work, map reading with a twist as they had to design their own Local map. (They looked like they was all enjoying it)

1 scout snapped an eraser in half in front of my eyes, I asked him why did he do it and he said he didn't do it, even though he did it in front of my eyes. Told him he had to bring in a brand new eraser to replace it, otherwise he will not be allowed to attend Scouts the next week.

2 other boys asked if they could go to the kitchen to get a drink. I agreed. They was in there for ages to I went to see what they was up to and found them having a water fight and the kitchen soaking.

One of the new scouts punched another Scout in the face!

I’m sure this happens elsewhere to other SL's, but it does get to you and you think why I am bothering!!

Anyway I feel a bit better now after my little rant!!

Thanks
    Mark Yates
    Scout Leader for 8th Ealing Scouts

Thanks
    I've had a rubbish night too - they didn't listen, were completly disrespectful and just generally aggrevating. And I never got the chance to tell the Leader in Charge that I don't want to go back to that unit.

Thanks
    Oh bless you both, I think we all have nights like that. Don't know about anyone else but the dark nights setting in combined with horrible weather does seem a trigger for this kind of stuff sometimes, hope it's a one off for you both. (Medieval Cub Camp this weekend should be fun if that's the case, note to self to look up medieval punishments.......)
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    lock them in the Stocks and throw rotten veg at the person!!

What a great idea, I wonder if I can get away with doing that next week at scouts
    Mark Yates
    Scout Leader for 8th Ealing Scouts

Thanks
    wow - it sounds like your talking about my scouts

i come to the conclusion that this time of year is really bad as its more difficult to have the the bad weather to got with it

they have wet play at school which means they can not get out and burn energy and its seems that they can vent it at scouts

some times when this happens i throw my whole programe out and just have a great games evening as it works , mainly running games just the last one was a simple relay game with a difference

simple geography relay , pick a country and then pic the city first team tio finsh wins quick and easy to prepare

north south east west old but good then through in se sw ne nw , then to really get then go even further such as NNW ENE ,

some things i find that work on thes type of nights

then as an evening closer , play numbers , very simple but needs a little concentration

all else fails , build a fire and try and get it alight with 1 match

but your right we all go through it , and like you sometimes drive me to frustration especially when simple instructions can not be followed

well hope this helps

Scout Leader - Air Rifle Shooting instructor
    7th Bramshill (hook)

Thanks
    I had a bit of this with the cubs last week.

We did survival kits.

We made some stuff to go in a kit.

I told them I would like them to go away and bring in a really good kit tonight. Quite a few were larking about when I made the request.

Out of 20 cubs, FIVE bothered/remembered.

I brought out my secret weapon "the Cool Wall"

Every cub who brought something in got their name on the wall - ranked uncool to sub zero. (all at least Cool )

Those who 'forgot' didn't get their name on there.

Ohh WE HAD TEARS!!

still, unlike their mummies and daddies, this fellah says NO.

And no second chances.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Sounds like it wasn't a crap night. Sounds like it was a really good night that most of them enjoyed and got something out of during which there were a couple of 'unfortunate' incidents!

And this 'I didn't do it' when you watched them is one of my absolute pet hates and my scouts know better than to say it to me but that's only because of my reaction when one or two of them did a number of years ago

Keep smiling. Remember - you love it really...............

Thanks
    We all have bad nights. All sorts of things can trigger them off - rain, wind, dark nights......

However, my GSL once said something to me that made a lot of sense:

If they come to Scouts and have a good time, then walk out of the door with a smile on their faces, you have achieved all you needed to achieve. ANy badge work you wanted o do will wait for another night.

Now, when I have a bad night, I remember her words and I walk away and dont worry about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    I really hate people that lie, I tend to react much more to being lied to than if they were just honest with me (especially if its blatant and I saw them do it and they still insist on lying)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Yep, we all have bad nights - I had to run Cubs this week for the first time in 2 years+. I managed to forget how to do grand howl correctly
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

ACSL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTregartha View Post
    Out of 20 cubs, FIVE bothered/remembered.
    We have done a couple of badges where the cubs have had to do something at home. Each time we had about 6/7 out of 30 do as asked. We gave one person a second chance when their mum emailed about it when we had given the badge to the people who had done the work and they still didn't do it.

Anyway, back on topic, we wasted about 15 minutes last night waiting for quiet before starting an activity. I think (hope) we have reached the point where peer pressure is starting to kick in and we won't have to do it again.

Thanks
    if its any consolation, we had a crap night last friday. It must be something to do with the weather/back to school. we have a group of older scouts ready to go to explorers and young age scouts what we call "cubbyscouts" who just want to mess about!

this was fustrating, what was ok for one group was not for the other and vise versa. Anyway, we invited the older scouts to the planning meeting last tuesday and managed to get a good programme together to involve all the age range ( fingers crossed)

off to Bispham chariot camp this weekend, hopefully it'll rain as the lake fills up! mwahaha!

ASL 3rd/1st Eccles
    ADC (S) Ellesmere
    http://www.gmwscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Looking back on nights that seem to have gone badly I think it's normally because the programme was poor.

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Scout View Post
    Just got back from Scouts.

What an annoying night it was. None of the scouts listened, did their own thing.
    it happens.

We played some really good games, which they enjoyed. They got down to Badge work, map reading with a twist as they had to design their own Local map. (They looked like they was all enjoying it)
    can you help me a tadge; i'm trying to reconcile what you say above with what you said first off.

annoying, didn't listen, did own thing = good games, enjoyed, looked like enjoying?

1 scout snapped an eraser in half in front of my eyes, I asked him why did he do it and he said he didn't do it, even though he did it in front of my eyes. Told him he had to bring in a brand new eraser to replace it, otherwise he will not be allowed to attend Scouts the next week.
    hold on. you've given him a penalty for breaking the rubber, but you've seemingly ignored the fact that he told you a bare-faced lie?

split the two incidents. break the rubber = 20p when your parent arrives at end of meeting. lying = some more serious forfeit.

sanctions work best when they are appropriate, immediate, and in proportion to the offence.

2 other boys asked if they could go to the kitchen to get a drink. I agreed. They was in there for ages to I went to see what they was up to and found them having a water fight and the kitchen soaking.
    didn't you think something was wrong when they hadn't returned after a minute or two?

i hope they cleared up the mess in the kitchen! mops, buckets, everything. stiff inspection after it's done. and it's only done if they pass inspection! and then the sanction.....maybe the following week a spring cleaning chore for them while eveyone plays game? (and don't give it out until they're there next week.)

One of the new scouts punched another Scout in the face!
    that's a serious offence in my book. it needs investigating and then sanctions applied as appropriate. the offender should be left in no doubt that the ultimate sanction may be applied. report it to the gsl before you take it further.

in my group, the gsl would have no hesitation in expelling the kid if he found that the attack was unprovoked. even provoked retaliation would earn a sanction.

I’m sure this happens elsewhere to other SL's, but it does get to you and you think why I am bothering!!
    it happens to everyone sometime. you bother because....nah i don't need to tell you why you bother; you know why you bother!

don't let it get to you!

deal with it.

Anyway I feel a bit better now after my little rant!!

Thanks

good. blowing off steam helps.

rant over. now find out why? when you find out why, you'll then know what the possible answer may be. (hopefully!)

cordially yours, TM

ESL - Young Leaders
    Thanks
    Sometimes, despite having a great programme and having prepped it really well, we all get meetings that leave us feeling us rather hacked off. Its not the change in weather, dark nights, lack of outside play etc etc. Its just rubbish because it is!

That said, physical violence ie punching in the face and blatant lying fall outside "normal" mucking around, not listening etc. Did you have enough leaders/helpers? Perhaps, if not, that probably opened the door to several of them getting up to tricks?
    Ruth

Lovin' my gadgets!