Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uniform

Thanks

Uniform

Which adults can wear the Uniform and badges.
    is it just full apponted adults E.G SL or ASL
    or any adult who attends meetings.
    The group has said they are going to buy uniforms for all adult helpers not just the apponted leaders I though the uniform was just for the apponted leaders not the person who attends to make drinks for the beavers of collect subs for the scouts but I could be wrong.

Thanks
    Rule 10.2 Entitlement to Wear Uniform

a. The appropriate uniform, as described in the following Rules, may be worn by all Members of the Movement.

Rule 3.1 Membership of the Scout Group

a. No individual aged 18 or over may be permitted to undertake any responsibilities or involvement within Scouting until the appropriate enquiries have been made.
    b. There are two types of membership - Members and Associate Members.
    c. British Subjects who are prepared to follow the Association's principles by making the
    Promise may become Members or Associate Members of the Scout Movement (subject to the Rules contained within Policy, Organisation and Rules).
    d. Foreign residents in the United Kingdom, with the approval of an appropriate Commissioner, may become Members or Associate Members.
    e. When an individual becomes a Member that person becomes a member of a Group, District and County (as appropriate). They also become a Member of The Scout Association and of the World Organisation of the Scout Movement.
    f. When an individual becomes an Associate Member that person becomes a member of a Group, District and County (as appropriate). They also become a Member of The Scout Association.
    g. Membership of Beaver Scout Colonies, Cub Scout Packs and Scout Troops is open to
    males and females unless otherwise stipulated.
    h. Adult membership whether by appointment or otherwise, is open equally to men and
    women.
    i. The minimum age limit for membership is 5¾ years.
    j. There is no maximum age limit for membership but all adult appointments are subject to a minimum age limit of 18.
    k. There are membership options for adults not holding appointments to become Members
    or Associate Members on ceasing to hold an appointment.
    l. Members or Associate Members do not have any rights, actual or implied, to take
    part in the national management of The Scout Association or the World Organisation of the Scout Movement.

Does this help? I reckon this means that Section Assistants and Group Executive Committee members who are associate members can wear the uniform. The only thing I reckon they cannot wear is the world membership badge, because they haven't made the promise. Apparently there is even an associate members badge for them, although I have never seen anyone wearing it.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Adult Members and Associate Members, wear uniform. They're the ones who pay capitation.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    I guess it depends on what they mean as uniform for the adult helpers (and do you really have people who just make drinks for the Beavers and collect the Scouts subs?). It could just mean that they are going to get them something like a group polo shirt or sweater, to give them some identification as "part of the group".
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    We have people who just collect the subs for our sections (and act as section treasurers). They're parents of current or former YP and committee members.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    I guess it depends on what they mean as uniform for the adult helpers (and do you really have people who just make drinks for the Beavers and collect the Scouts subs?). It could just mean that they are going to get them something like a group polo shirt or sweater, to give them some identification as "part of the group".
    Or the Scout Polo shirt. That always looks good on helpers!!

Thanks
    Our helpers and assistants get a group necker to show they're part of the group, one of them doesn't want to be a full leader because they don't want the uniform.
    Tom
    ASL 1st Dinas Powys

"If it ain't raining, it ain't Wales" - Bear Grylls

Thanks
    We have the opposite issue - our leaders get a free uniform but will have to pay back half the cost if they leave our group within three years.

Most of our leaders would prefer to wear something else for troop nights, we may move to an iScout polo or similar. I don't care personally, but we do so few events when we're obliged to wear uniform, it's hardly worth wearing it at all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_n View Post
    I don't care personally, but we do so few events when we're obliged to wear uniform, it's hardly worth wearing it at all.
    Isn't the solution to that to schedule more events where you need to wear uniform?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,620 Posts
    Isn't the solution to that to schedule more events where you need to wear uniform?
    You surely missed a smiley face?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    You surely missed a smiley face?
    Not really. A uniform that's worn twice a year is a waste of money.

On the other hand if you make sure the uniform is practical for what you normally do and wear it on a regular basis then it is worth having.

So the solution to "we do so few events when we're obliged to wear uniform, it's hardly worth wearing it at all" is to wear the uniform more often so it is worth wearing.

Thanks
    The SA is still struggling to decide if it wants to be a uniformed movement.

On the one hand it wants the income and identity it brings, on the other hand it wants to be perceived as not old fashioned and pick up more members and get more income.

Various people seem to think that insisting on having a "full and correct" uniform will stop most kids coming. That is just plain daft as the other uniformed Groups, ATC, CCF, OTC, Sea Cadets, St John Ambulance etc. don't seem to have a problem.

The "it's too expensive" argument is rubbish as well as there always seems to be cash for football, or karate or the above organisations uniforms. The really hard up tend to scrimp and save if they think it's worth while, it's the ones who are using us as a cheap baby-sitting service who complain most (remembers the family who whinged and moaned about wanting a subsided uniform before disappearing off home in their BMW X5). Most Groups have hardship funds and there are also grants available from various places. If the uniform is cheap throwaway tat then people won't look after it, after all how many can truly say all their scouts have their names on their shirts, neckers and woggles?

Wearing a uniform, correctly, is part of the self respect part of Scouting. If we can't be bothered to promote that any more then we may as well pack in the pretence and call ourselves a youth club.

For those who don't think uniform, correct badges etc. are important then lobby Gilwell and get them removed from Scouting, don't undermine POR and the other Leaders who value that part of it by continually attempting to take some theorectical high ground by saying Scouting is more than that. It is more than that but it also includes that.
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,620 Posts
    The SA is still struggling to decide if it wants to be a uniformed movement.
    Is it?

On the one hand it wants the income and identity it brings, on the other hand it wants to be perceived as not old fashioned and pick up more members and get more income.
    Does it?

Various people seem to think that insisting on having a "full and correct" uniform will stop most kids coming. That is just plain daft as the other uniformed Groups, ATC, CCF, OTC, Sea Cadets, St John Ambulance etc. don't seem to have a problem.
    The various cadet forces have other incentives - ie they have access to bigger toys and, whether they like it or not, they are recruiting tools for the Forces, and many of those who go down that route may well have intent in that direction. SJ, well, I don't think that their youth membership is anything to call home about, though I stand to be corrected.

The "it's too expensive" argument is rubbish as well as there always seems to be cash for football, or karate or the above organisations uniforms.
    Could not agree more. But equally, when they have access to all the latest technology and the latest fashions, we too have to match that if we are to compete.

If the uniform is cheap throwaway tat then people won't look after it, after all how many can truly say all their scouts have their names on their shirts, neckers and woggles?
    Most kids don't look after stuff anyway.

Wearing a uniform, correctly, is part of the self respect part of Scouting. If we can't be bothered to promote that any more then we may as well pack in the pretence and call ourselves a youth club.
    Yes, at a time and a place. There is no need for full uniform on most section nights.

For those who don't think uniform, correct badges etc. are important then lobby Gilwell and get them removed from Scouting, don't undermine POR and the other Leaders who value that part of it by continually attempting to take some theorectical high ground by saying Scouting is more than that. It is more than that but it also includes that.
    I think that the level of importance laid on the uniform aspect varies around the country and varies very much on the style of Leadership at a Group. I make no fuss about trousers, except when on parade (rarely) they are asked to wear school black trousers or skirt - which they always do. (I get a better turn out and a smarter turn out than most others who insist on full uniform).

Argueing about the uniform is rather pointless. I'll wear my kilt for parades - even walked around Ypres in my uniform and kilt.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    If the uniform is cheap throwaway tat then people won't look after it,

Have you seen the Sea/Air Scout blue shirts. What a nasty cheap thin bit of kit that is. Hate having to wear it, but do as our Group insist on full uniform for the start and end of meetings, at all sections.

I have to say I do agree with wearing uniform, as it does help to give the young people a sense of identity, self-respect and responsibility (making sure they are turned out correctly). Mind you, it may be something with the fact that I have worn a uniform at work for the last 26 years....

Mark Smith
    SL & ACSL 1st Charlton
    NSRA Instructor
    Spelthorne Gangshow Creative Team

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 807 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    There is no need for full uniform on most section nights.
    Yes there is, we are a Uniformed organisation. There should be a specific reason NOT to wear uniform at a Section Night.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with