Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Android App Ideas

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Android App Ideas

    I am looking for suggestions on an app that would be useful in scouting. I have seen the thread http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/show...ht=android+app

    The app that Ian_C made is a nice idea.

    I have not made an app before but do a small amount of programming and am open to suggestions. I look forward to hearing them!

  2. #2
    Senior Member shandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I want a version of Google Sky map which works on my Android S60
    ABSL 8th Mirfield, Heavy Woollen District, West Yorkshire



    ESL, Dearne Devils Explorer Unit, Barnsley Explorers, South Yorkshire

  3. #3
    Senior Member big chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12,210
    Thanks
    1,840
    Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,434 Posts
    ok... so the skymap feature is good.... it lets leaders show off their ability to access knowledge.

    how about a tree recognition app? i would love to be able to answer my scouts' questions about which tree is which. that sounds pretty simple as a starter project?

  4. #4
    Senior Member shandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    244
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That would be useful, yes, as would some version of 'food for free' for foraging, another for tracking, etc...
    ABSL 8th Mirfield, Heavy Woollen District, West Yorkshire



    ESL, Dearne Devils Explorer Unit, Barnsley Explorers, South Yorkshire

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Feltham, Middlesex
    Posts
    885
    Thanks
    298
    Thanked 106 Times in 67 Posts
    </fx: Dinosaur mode>

    All of the information for these "Apps" is already available, but not necessarily in a "cool!" format.

    The traditional format is called a book. They don't need batteries, or a subscription, or even a mobile 'phone / GPS signal.

    </fx>
    MatSav


    GSL 10th Feltham, Nights Away Adviser
    "Three Into One Will Go!"
    Thameside Grand Union District
    Scouting Throughout the London Borough of Hounslow
    in the Districts formerly known as Feltham, ABC, and H&I

  6. #6
    Senior Member big chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    12,210
    Thanks
    1,840
    Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MatSav View Post
    </fx: Dinosaur mode>

    All of the information for these "Apps" is already available, but not necessarily in a "cool!" format.

    The traditional format is called a book. They don't need batteries, or a subscription, or even a mobile 'phone / GPS signal.

    </fx>
    but what does one generally have in one's pocket? a library or a phone?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like the ideas! Thanks to all

    I will start on the tree identification app. Then move on to working on the others.

    @big chris how do you see it functioning?

    A choice of leaf photos based on some questions that were asked to the user?
    It could be quite interesting to get the questions right, so that the leaves can be identified.

    ----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

    If you have an iphone the tracking app and the tree app has been done for north america. http://www.mynaturesite.com/ . There is an example of the tree app in use http://www.youtube.com/user/iPhonetracks . It is certainly an interesting app that functions well. The tracking app is available for android.
    Last edited by Luke Jennings; 22-10-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Merged Double Post

  8. #8
    Escouts Team & System Dev Magician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,596
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked 376 Times in 163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Jennings View Post
    I like the ideas! Thanks to all

    I will start on the tree identification app. Then move on to working on the others.

    @big chris how do you see it functioning?

    A choice of leaf photos based on some questions that were asked to the user?
    It could be quite interesting to get the questions right, so that the leaves can be identified.

    ----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

    If you have an iphone the tracking app and the tree app has been done for north america. http://www.mynaturesite.com/ . There is an example of the tree app in use http://www.youtube.com/user/iPhonetracks . It is certainly an interesting app that functions well. The tracking app is available for android.
    You realise you are talking about Computational Photography and would need millions of samples and server warehouses to make it work :/

  9. #9
    Senior Member Richard Willars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    2,528
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magician View Post
    You realise you are talking about Computational Photography and would need millions of samples and server warehouses to make it work :/
    It sounds like he wants to determine the type of tree by asking the user a series of questions...

    Are the leaves green?

    Yes = Do the leaves look like this or this?
    No = That's a bush



    I'd personally like to see one for plants.. I recently bought a houseplant and had no idea what it was called or how to look after it.. spent half an hour on the Internet trying to find it by vaguely describing it. If there was an Android app to identify plants and include instructions on how to look after them I think people would buy it. You could even take it a step further by setting up calendar appointments to remind you to water it etc!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am unsure a server would be needed as the my nature site says "Once installed no further wireless connection needed." How ever my knowledge of servers is virtually zero. I do agree samples is a big problem. I may have to find a simpler idea. I am still keen to try and make a start on it.

  11. #11
    Escouts Team & System Dev Magician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,596
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked 376 Times in 163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Willars View Post
    It sounds like he wants to determine the type of tree by asking the user a series of questions...
    I was envisaging a goggle-esque app!

  12. #12
    Senior Member cbKernow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    1,199
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    something like this might work:

    http://forestry.about.com/od/treeide...y_id_start.htm

    a series of questins to narrow down the tree

    I wonder how "google goggles" (uses camera to try and work out what its looking at) copes with leaves, might go and try

  13. #13
    Hathi Graeme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bury, Greater Manchester
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A really simple check-in app.

    Enter a list of names, and a list of column headings. Then it comes up with a little table where you can 'tap' for 'forms received', 'payment received', 'arrived', 'picked up' etc.


    CSL 7th/17th Radcliffe (Wesley), GM North

Similar Threads

  1. Android Apps..
    By Ian_C in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 23-12-2012, 11:54 AM
  2. Android Badge App Is Finally on its way
    By phillip in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20-02-2012, 07:47 PM
  3. [Answered] Android Badge App
    By Mallah in forum UK Chief Commissioner Questions (CLOSED)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 04:30 PM
  4. android email app
    By kjw1991 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-05-2011, 03:05 PM
  5. Attendance (Android App)
    By Mallah in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 29-04-2011, 07:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •