Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a newsletter

Thanks

Making a newsletter

Hi all,

Does anyone make a newsletter for their group/section? If so what application do you use to make it.

I was thinking of doing any graphics in photoshop/illustrator then using ms powerpoint or even publisher to create the final newsletter to print.

Any tips?

Cheers,

Stuart
    -------------------------------------------------
    Stuart
    ASL
    Webmaster

Thanks
    Thanked 3,336 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Send an email. K.I.S.S.

Thanks
    An email is an idea, but it is for the kids as much as the parents. I would like the kids to write some parts of it and be able to physically see the fruits of their labour instead of just a mass email sent to parents, while making it look good for my own satisfaction!
    Stuart
    ASL
    Webmaster

Thanks
    If you have illustrator, that's a handy tool.

I use it for most layouts. (Indesign for more complex stuff)

Save out as PDF send that.
    Scout Leader
    Plus other stuff

Lost on the path least travelled!!

"If you or anybody else care to email me with the specific County/District behaving in such a way I'll happily follow it up. My own views on local rules that inappropriately restrict Scouting are well know."

Wayne Bulpitt
    UK Chief Commissioner

Thanks
    I do mine as a Publisher doc & the PDF it to parents. It also goes on the website.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Newbb For This Useful Post:

not-so (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    I use the website to input news items. At the end of the month, MailChimp comes along and collates the news items from the last month and emails them to the parents in a newsletter.
    Simon Parr
    Group Scout Leader - 1st Nanpantan Scouts
    County Cub Scout Leader - Leicestershire Scouts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    We use mailchimp - have set up a template and just add in the news, usually brief intros to stories with links to the website, plus a few updates and a welcome from the GSL (me). Forthcoing events in the sidebar.

The newsletter goes out to all parents, people on the waiting list, and other group supporters every two months (beginning of Feb, April, June, August, October and December.

According to the mailchimp stats we get about a 75% read rate.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    Messaged you

Thanks
    I used to do this years ago, but now I put the newsletter on the website. I do it as a sort of rolling news with new stuff at the top and older stuff gradually dropping off the bottom. You can still put young people's work on it. Have a look at ours to see what I mean.

Nigel
    ABSL 1st Hoveton and Wroxham Sea Scouts
    www.hovetonandwroxhamscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    You should be building traffic TO your website.Because then you can put your notices and events and links to pics etc.etc, thereUse Mailchimp to send out a regular email newsletter and track the opens and clickthroughs.Concentrate your efforts on the 'don't open' parents - these would probably chuck your newsletters in the bin. If you get your website at the core of your communications, then you can stop sending out paper.BTW, I know that publisher has its fans, but it can't be successfully used to provide copy for pro printing - an ad in the local paper for instance.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    [QUOTE=DonTregartha;359142]You should be building traffic TO your website.Because then you can put your notices and events and links to pics etc.etc, thereUse Mailchimp to send out a regular email newsletter and track the opens and clickthroughs.Concentrate your efforts on the 'don't open' parents - these would probably chuck your newsletters in the bin. If you get your website at the core of your communications, then you can stop sending out paper.BTW, I know that publisher has its fans, but it can't be successfully used to provide copy for pro printing - an ad in the local paper for instance.[/QUOTE]

Why is that Don?
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    I know we had problems getting publisher to split out into the right colours for "pro printing". The printers ended up re-doing the work and charging us accordingly.
    Jonathan Bloor
    Escouts Team
    Group Scout Leader - 4th Ashby de la Zouch

Thanks
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,420 Posts
    [QUOTE=DonTregartha;359142]You should be building traffic TO your website.Because then you can put your notices and events and links to pics etc.etc, thereUse Mailchimp to send out a regular email newsletter and track the opens and clickthroughs.[/QUOTE]

At the same time, use twitter, facebook etc to promote your news (as it happens) and your newsletter.

Every new article that goes up on the website is accompanied by social media messaging. This brings in both internal and external traffic to the site. A good percentage of our parents follow us on twitter - but we also have a number of local businesses, local media, and other followers (as well as other local scout groups of course). The Bathmums group retweet a lot of our news, getting it out to their 4000+ followers (many of whom are parents of potential new members, or potential volunteers)

A newsletter, or a website, or a twitter account, are all useful on their own. But its when you have all these factors combined and working together that you will find results.

We also run most other "services" through the website. Parents are directed there by emails about events etc. Uniform and group clothing are ordered there. The aim is to get parents used to using the website for all things "group" related, so that we can then make sure that information is on there.

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

Thanks
    [QUOTE=patons02;359103]Hi all,

Does anyone make a newsletter for their group/section? If so what application do you use to make it.

I was thinking of doing any graphics in photoshop/illustrator then using ms powerpoint or even publisher to create the final newsletter to print.

Any tips?

Cheers,

Stuart[/QUOTE]

Hi Stuart,
    If it helps at all I still have all the Scouting clipart that was created many moons ago. It's pretty well all still valid, and often conveys more of a meaning, and that wee bit bit of fun, that a photo can't. I still use it locally.
    Email me with details and I'll send you the disc.

Chris A.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=recneps;359147]At the same time, use twitter, facebook etc to promote your news (as it happens) and your newsletter.

Every new article that goes up on the website is accompanied by social media messaging. This brings in both internal and external traffic to the site. A good percentage of our parents follow us on twitter - but we also have a number of local businesses, local media, and other followers (as well as other local scout groups of course). The Bathmums group retweet a lot of our news, getting it out to their 4000+ followers (many of whom are parents of potential new members, or potential volunteers)

A newsletter, or a website, or a twitter account, are all useful on their own. But its when you have all these factors combined and working together that you will find results.

We also run most other "services" through the website. Parents are directed there by emails about events etc. Uniform and group clothing are ordered there. The aim is to get parents used to using the website for all things "group" related, so that we can then make sure that information is on there.[/QUOTE]

@recneps We currently don't have a website so before I convince the GSL to give the go-ahead for that I am doing the newsletter angle to be published physically and handed out to parents. Our PR footprint is fairly low, so much so to the point that the person who runs the local foodbank did not know that a scout group exists where we are even though we've been there since 1921!

@chrisA pm sent!

I made the decision last night that I'll use Adobe InDesign for the newsletter as the column layout on it is fantastic! Hopefully I will have a professional looking outcome from this.

How do you guys approach building a better footprint for parents/general community?
    Last edited by patons02; 30-05-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    Stuart
    ASL
    Webmaster