Thread: ZIP wire

Thanks

ZIP wire

Dear one and all,
    we are in the process of planning a "Big Adventure" style camp for 24th to 26th June this year in Sittingbourne.

As part of this I am would like to get a zip wire erected on site. I belive some groups have the trained leaders and equipment for this, but have been unable to find any locally.

Therefore does anyone know of a group that might be able to siist us and could provide the skills and equipment to run a zip wire over the weekend?

I would rather not go down the comercial route as this just starts to get far too expensive!

many thanks Rover

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 793 Posts
    Do you mean a zip wire or an aerial runway? A zip wire is on a metal wire and generally these are permanent installations. An aerial runway is on a large diameter rope and is generally a temporary installation and must be erected following the Aerial Runway Code http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/...s/fs120006.pdf

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Don't know how close these guys are you but might be worth asking them

http://www.scout4x4.theultimateshow.co.uk/
    What do you care what other people think! - Richard P. Feynman

A person needs only three tools in life: WD-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape. If either doesn't work, use the hammer.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,603 Posts
    If you cannot get someone with the equipment from Scouting, then you have no real option but to go commercial.

There are firms who come in with an access platform/ crane and rig who run Zip wires. But they have costs, not the least of which are insurance and wages.

We DO NOT BUILD ZIP WIRES we build Aerial Runways to a very strict code and there will be people around if you ask around.

June is a busy month for us, and Kent is a long trip to set up an AR I'm afraid. Surely someone in the great County of Kent can help you out?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk