Thread: New group Starting

Thanks

New group Starting

I have been given the opportunity to open up a new scout group, I have been an ASL for a few years now. I am looking for what do you do for the first term with a new group and is there any electronic badge recording systems as I dont like the paper record cards.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Hi,

Firstly - congrats on starting a new troop/group, and good luck! I took over my troop in Sept and it's been a great experience already.

I was left with very bitty records that I transferred to a set of complicated spreadsheets that meant each time a scout joined/left, I had to add/remove rows from lots of sheets, so I've decided to make an online tool...

I'm working on a new, hopefully all-singing, all-dancing, online scout manager tool that I hope will make everything as easy as possible; from planning programmes to finding activities to maintaining records.

It's currently at http://www.onlinescoutmanager.co.uk - but you'll need a login to get anywhere.

It's not going to be ready for a month or so, but if you're interested in seeing where it's at now, and ideally letting me know what things you'd like included, drop me a private message and I'll give you the details.

Disclaimer - 8 days ago this was just an idea in my head, so it's so far a result of 1.5 weekends and some evenings. I've only tested it on Firefox and Chrome as I don't have Windows, but I'll get round to that later.

Before the Data Protection police comment, it will have SSL, private details are totally optional (i.e. you don't have to enter date of birth, contact details, medical notes), and everything is as secure as I can make it!

Thanks,
    Ed

Thanks
    Nigel and co. have already developed a tracking spreadsheet, see this thread:
    http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/show...588#post203588
    Last edited by Doug in Canada; 16-01-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    This is a direct link to SMS http://www.scoutssms.org.uk/, which is the spreadsheet referred to by Doug.

Ed - that looks interesting too. The only think that would concern me is having the data on-line rather than locally, do you propose including the other sections within this system to?

And when you say that " I've only tested it on Firefox and Chrome as I don't have Windows...........", I thought that the first two were browsers and the third the operating system! Do you mean that it has only been tested on an operating system other than Windows?
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    Hi,

Yes, this will be beavers, cubs, scouts and explorers - I've already put cubs & scouts challenge awards into the system, and a handful of activity badges - but it's tediously dull entering all the data, so I'll do that after I've developed the system fully! (And will only do beavers/explorers if someone actually asks for it).

The whole online data is always going to be an issue sadly - all I can say is I will be as diligent with backups as possible. Once the system is up, I plan to write an "export to spreadsheet" function so you can grab a copy of everything - but that's at the bottom of my to do list.

Browsers - just meant I haven't tested on Internet Explorer as it doesn't run on Linux (which is all I have in my house). I checked it was working a few days ago on Windows/IE and it was, but one extra comma in the code and it'll blow up! I've been told it works on Macs/Safari. I will obviously do proper testing before making it live!

Happy to take suggestions/comments etc...

Thanks,
    Ed
    Last edited by EdJellard; 16-01-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks

Underwhelmed

It was about time that another e-system came along with all good intentions. Meanwhile HQ are, at least, consulting for their development.
    The problem with many privately produced software projects is they have no longevity, the authors get bored and drift on, so they have no sustainable support.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    I can see where you're coming from, but given I'll be involved with scouting for several decades and will use this system, I can't see why it would go away. With an export-to-spreadsheet function, the data can be kept locally.

Alternatively, if HQ want to take it off my hands when it's done, so much the better (less hosting costs for me!)

Either way, I'm primarily developing it for our group to make our lives easier, and am doing it in a way that any other group can join in.
    Last edited by EdJellard; 16-01-2011 at 04:25 PM.