View Poll Results: What is your yearly Subs?

Voters
278. You may not vote on this poll
  • < £59.99

20 7.19%
  • £60 - £69.99

20 7.19%
  • £70 - £79.99

58 20.86%
  • £80 - £89.99

21 7.55%
  • £90 - £99.99

55 19.78%
  • £100 - £109.99

44 15.83%
  • £110 - £119.99

19 6.83%
  • £120 - £129.99

23 8.27%
  • £130 +

18 6.47%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Subs How Much do you charge ?

Thanks
    No clue - County pay mine
    Chris Meadows
    ACC Explorers

Avon Scout County
    Web: www.jabbering.co.uk
    Web: www.avonscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    £5 per month by standing order, so £60 per year on which we claim gift aid. It's been at that rate now for about 8 years and we're only just getting to the stage where we need to consider an increase.
    Neil
    CSL (Gold Pack), 6th Selby (Brayton) Scout Group
    ACC (Cub Scouts) North Yorkshire
    Assistant Leader, North Yorkshire (NYVIK) Unit, 22WSJ Sweden 2011

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    we charge what we need to run... you must do the same

our costs are different - as will our membership numbers be... our subs will differ
    what he said

we do operate monthly standing orders which makes life much easier on the subs collection front
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    I'd love to know how groups manage to charge less than £60.

We charge £35 per term. £30 per year of that is paid to District for capitation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Testarossa View Post

We charge £35 per term. £30 per year of that is paid to District for capitation.
    Fund Raising. We raise 50% of our funds by Jumble Sales so can keep our subs to £55 per year, or £20 per term.
    Stuart Heaton
    GSL Waverley Scout Group

Thanks
    £3 pw subs over a 40 week year.

Of this, £2 is paid to group for hall and grounds upkeep. Capitation is also paid out of this.

The remaining £1 is retained by the pack for runnjng the meetings/buying pack essentials etc.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Testarossa View Post

£60 a year subs - £28 capitation = £32

Minibus paid for by Scout Post
    Hall owned by group, bills paid for by non-group users.

So our only real overheads are badges, stationery, food for cooking evenings and swimming pool hire (£50-60) once a year when we do the swimmers badge.

Camps and other activities are self funding and run to make a small "profit".

Incidentally I just banked over £200 in cheques and our Troop account has just over £2k in it, most of that is due to be transferred to group saving.

We don't tend to fundraise, only the Scout Post (for minibus) and Dickensian Evening (which pays for the christmas party).
    Tom
    ASL 1st Dinas Powys

"If it ain't raining, it ain't Wales" - Bear Grylls

Thanks
    Thanked 3,308 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibsie View Post

excellent...

wow! that's awesome... i do like having our hall to ourselves though... swings and roundabouts, i guess...

So our only real overheads are badges,

i just spent £250 on badges... those prices stack up v quickly... 20 kids getting the creative challenge = £10

stationery,

you do well to keep these costs low,

food for cooking evenings

ok... i expect to do 4 or 5 cooking evenings per year... i would never pay less than a quid per head and sometimes 2 or 3 quid... again... costs stack up soooo quickly.

and swimming pool hire (£50-60) once a year when we do the swimmers badge.

bargain!

cool...

Incidentally I just banked over £200 in cheques and our Troop account has just over £2k in it, most of that is due to be transferred to group saving.

We don't tend to fundraise, only the Scout Post (for minibus) and Dickensian Evening (which pays for the christmas party).

you must run a v tight budget... congrats... ours is rather more ummm... unwieldy...
    oh.... and we just paid out £500 on new brakes for a 1 year old minibus... the old ones had been chewed through by foxes... people wonder why we sit on a surplus... it;s because things like that happen...

insurers wanted a fair old excess plus they said there's be an increase in insurance based on the claim of 20-30% - insurance is £1,200/year!

Thanks
    subs are £3 per week with the break down of £1 each week goes to the hut

So for example some weeks 20 turn up to scouts the hut gets £20 and the troop take £40. The next week 12 turn up so hut gets £12 and the troop take £24

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibsie View Post

So our only real overheads are badges, stationery, food for cooking evenings and swimming pool hire (£50-60) once a year when we do the swimmers badge.

That is still pretty amazing. Our hut is ours to maintain, but even so, I still can't see how we would manage on that amount. We tend to do 2 bag packing weekends a year which bring in about £4000, but this is used to subsidise camps, such as Summer camp (£1500 for Kandersteg 2009 per head, £300 for Norfolk watersports camp 2010, almost £300 per head for our international camp 2011 plus about 9 or 10 other camps a year and trips such as parascending, gliding, kayaking etc).

Maybe we organise too much?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Waverley GDB View Post
    Fund Raising. We raise 50% of our funds by Jumble Sales so can keep our subs to £55 per year, or £20 per term.
    I haven't seen a jumble sale organised or advertised in my locality since I moved here in 1993. In my view this sort of fundraising activity has disappeared not just from scouting, but also from other youth groups and even churches/chapels etc, around where I live.

Most of the key parents in my group are also involved in the PFA/PTA of their children's schools, and they prioritise that fundraising, over scout group fundraising, every time. This includes many of our leaders, who are leaders because they have kids in the group.

I also think that a lot of traditional fundraising skills, that might have been picked up if you grew up as part of a church community that ran fairs/fetes/galas etc, have been lost as fewer people grow up in that envirionment. It's where mine came from. My scout group has had no tradition of organising fundraising events that I can establish, and that doesn't seem unusual in my patch.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mallett View Post
    I haven't seen a jumble sale organised or advertised in my locality since I moved here in 1993. In my view this sort of fundraising activity has disappeared not just from scouting, but also from other youth groups and even churches/chapels etc, around where I live.

Most of the key parents in my group are also involved in the PFA/PTA of their children's schools, and they prioritise that fundraising, over scout group fundraising, every time. This includes many of our leaders, who are leaders because they have kids in the group.

I also think that a lot of traditional fundraising skills, that might have been picked up if you grew up as part of a church community that ran fairs/fetes/galas etc, have been lost as fewer people grow up in that envirionment. It's where mine came from. My scout group has had no tradition of organising fundraising events that I can establish, and that doesn't seem unusual in my patch.
    I think that is the same in most parts of the UK excpet for maybe some Rural & Closenit Church communities

When i went to Chile in 1999 our fundraising team funded just over 12k in 6 months (that was before our local supermarket allowed bag packers in). We held jumbles, beetle drives, dances, race nights, Auctions at the dances and race nights.

The 5 scouts who are going from the district who are going to jamboree this year are finding it difficult to get the required funds, I know one has already dropped out (Funding is not the only reason he dropped out but it is one of them)

on a group level, when I have asked parents why they hav'nt supported an event answers range from, No time to attend, don't belive in bag packing as it is like begging! (kids also claim that they would get mercilessly teased if they are seen bag packing in uniform at our local supermarket) don't support gambling (Race Night's/Bingos) Lack of money to attend the event.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,308 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_mikey_k View Post

on a group level, when I have asked parents why they hav'nt supported an event answers range from, No time to attend, don't belive in bag packing as it is like begging! (kids also claim that they would get mercilessly teased if they are seen bag packing in uniform at our local supermarket)

a very valid point... you must get the cool kids onside... if the confident ones are going... they'll all go...

don't support gambling (Race Night's/Bingos)

that's only a handful, it's an excuse

Lack of money to attend the event.

fair point... ish...

we don't run the fundraisers.. i've been LiC for 6 or 7 years and i have roped in parents... ones with a track record of PTA parties... the other parents trust them to run a great party... If you are buying a £15 ticket each, spending a tenner each on wine, and getting a cab home... where you have to pay the babysitter... it MUST be a quality event. You're looking at a couple paying £100 for the night potentially.

Leaders are good at some things... we should be leading... chat to parents and find what they can do... "oh... i used to run race nights"... that sort of thing gets dropped into conversation by the unwitting potential volunteer

Thanks
    We charge £2.50 a week across all sections. £1 goes into an AMS fund, £1 to cover building costs, the remaining 50p to sections.

We are looking at a range of options however. Currently we don't charge for absent weeks (which severely dents our income) so we're looking at things such as:

- Charging £1 for missed weeks to cover the AMS contirbution
    - Charging the full £2.50 for missed weeks (perhaps up to a maximum of £10)
    - Switching to paying ~£10 per month which could be paid through weekly contributions or one off payments
    - Switching to paying ~£30 per term which could be paid through weekly contributions or one off payments

And a couple of other possibilities (which I can;t actually recall!).

We're slowly building up our fundraising capacity, although what we have run so far hasn't pulled in much money due to initial outlay costs.

I personally hate bagpacking, with avengence - I hate running it, the young people hate being there, and the staff on the tills can find it annoying if the people doing the bagpacking are inefficient. My AGSL said he'll look into instead!
    Scout Active Support Member & Webmaster
    Deep Sea Scouts National SASU

Membership Data & Engagement Support Manager
    Merseyside County Scouts

Webmaster
    St. Helens Scout District - 1st Whiston Scout Group - 1st Kirkby Scout Group

Tawd Vale Active Support Unit
    Tawd Vale Scout Camp

Thanks
    £10 per month, £8 for any other sibling.

Mark Smith
    SL & ACSL 1st Charlton
    NSRA Instructor
    Spelthorne Gangshow Creative Team