Thread: Holding out little hope........

Thanks

Holding out little hope........

The Scouts produced a 3 course menu last week. They created their shopping list and shared out the ingredients. I have just done a blanket text to remind everyone to bring their ingredients.

Texts received include, "What ingredients"

What a surprise! Looks like I might be nipping out of the meeting to go to Sainsburys!

Thanks
    Sounds familiar. The alternative to going to Sainsburys is to see what they can create from what is actually brought in.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,722 Posts
    What a surprise! Looks like I might be nipping out of the meeting to go to Sainsburys!
    No you don't. Those who bring get to do. Those who don't sit in the corner with adult supervision and do nothing.

We did this one night and six turned up without the goods, the usual suspects. It was raining, they hadn't even brought coats with them. I said fine. You didn't listen, so now I've got 14 teams cooking in the hall and you six idiots running about like morons (as usual). So I sent them outside to build a cooking fire. One of the YL sat in my car and watched them.

They got absolutely drenched, but to their credit, they did, after an hour and a half of trying and two boxes of matches, get a fire going. Which was promptly doused with a bucket of water as they had run out of meeting time.

They didn't forget again!
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    No you don't. Those who bring get to do. Those who don't sit in the corner with adult supervision and do nothing.

We did this one night and six turned up without the goods, the usual suspects. It was raining, they hadn't even brought coats with them. I said fine. You didn't listen, so now I've got 14 teams cooking in the hall and you six idiots running about like morons (as usual). So I sent them outside to build a cooking fire. One of the YL sat in my car and watched them.

They got absolutely drenched, but to their credit, they did, after an hour and a half of trying and two boxes of matches, get a fire going. Which was promptly doused with a bucket of water as they had run out of meeting time.

They didn't forget again!

The trouble is, they're doing it as a Patrol, so one will bring chicken, another tomatoes etc etc, so if someone forgets, their all screwed. I like the idea of turning it into a bit of a masterchef though with the ingredients they do have.

Thanks
    I suspect I'm going to have the same problem in a couple of weeks - we're doing loads of different badges and most of them have to bring stuff in for them.

I go over the top with Text Messages, Facebook and E-mails - if I'm fair to them it does usually work actually.

The only thing I would suggest on a cooking evening which we have done before, is get each patrol cooking the same menu. That way you usually end up with enough ingredients between patrols to spread them out reasonably well.

Without knowing how your troop works - can you delegate responsibility to co-ordinate to the Patrol Leaders?
    James "Jimbo" Davies
    www.james-davies.co.uk / www.sandleheathseascouts.org.uk

A.S.L. 1st Sandleheath Sea Scouts
    Water Activities Assessor (Sail, Power, PWC) in Hampshire
    County Boat Inspector

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Testarossa View Post

No! Never do that! If they don't bring what they should, they do nothing.

When we run cooking evenings, we leave it up to them to provide all the ingredients - it's part of the cooking process!

If some turn up without the ingredients, they sit out and the others cook with what they have.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    They''ll never learn that way.

Possibly have a bag hidden with a few basics, but get those who have made the effort to team up together and some other boring activity for the others - washing up?

Mind you, if you think they have all forgotten then bring your own 3 course meal and they can watch you eat

Thanks
    just make them cook with what they got. if it goes wrong and tastes horrible it's their fault.

although the best thing we made at explorers what chile covered cheese.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Would love to know what happened Testarossa

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raksha View Post
    Would love to know what happened Testarossa
    Well, a few brought the wrong stuff and some forgot to bring anything. I just told them that it was like ready steady cook and if they were missing ingredients, they would have to improvise. The group that were doing bruchetta for a starter ended up using some of their flour to make flat breads.

So, all went pretty well in the end.

Thanks for all the comments.

Thanks
    also done this a while ago , and then the following week we decided that we were going to get ahead

ingredients were not brought , so in the middle of the hall we placed a box in the box was tins of what , yep you pick a tin with no lables cause for revenge we removed them , you get either pasta rice of potato and make a meal ,,

was very funny as one patrol had only pudding ingredients with rice , they made a great rice pudding

Scout Leader - Air Rifle Shooting instructor
    7th Bramshill (hook)