Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A poor attitude IMO

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks

A poor attitude IMO

Many section Leaders do not offer certain activities to thier section because they dont like them or are personally not available for an event but thier assistants are.

Why do people have this attitude
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

nele
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfbranch View Post
    Many section Leaders do not offer certain activities to thier section because they dont like them or are personally not available for an event but thier assistants are.

I can think of one event where the troop has been at least twice and we won't be going again, because the programme, facilities etc were not up to scratch, the dates are inconvenient and we can get better elsewhere.

But normally unless there are too few leaders to cover an event we would look at things. I discuss the programme with the team, if there are enough leaders available and the YP want to do it then we will offer it.

CSL (+...)
    Thanks
    Beacuse they have had their assistants not turn up when they have said they will previously and thus are cautious aboiut trusting them to turn up and run things?

Or, as Nele said, becasue they have tried them and decided that they don't want to support it again because it wasn't 'worth it' (in quality or cash terms)?

Thanks

the other side, many leaders cant offer certain things as their asls will not run it without them. we cant attend every event, and we cant be expected to make every decisions but thats sometimes what it feels like. (we as in the scout leader)

just a point

ESL - Young Leaders
    Thanks
    Its not always as straight forward as that Alf. My Troop doesn't take part in most of the District competitions. Now there is the offer from the ADC for the Scouts to take part without any leaders from the Troop present, which sounds great. However, leaders attending is not necessarily the issue for us. Its all the prep and training beforehand, getting the kit and tents out, food shopping etc for 3/4 patrols and getting it back in, drying etc. So its not just a case of attending, that's the easy bit - its the work getting there that's a stumbling block. Its not a case of not liking the event or not be willing to hand over responsibility at all.

Without a doubt my Scouts get a well balanced programme. The difference is, is that we programme the camps and overnighters when it suits all our leaders so that we have the time to put the work and prep in beforehand. We also run the events how we like them - our Scouts preferred extended survival rather than just one night with district.

PS And you guessed it, we have no QM - kit is down to us/me
    Last edited by Gadgette; 25-02-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Ruth

Lovin' my gadgets!

Thanks
    I'll occasionally not offer something - usually on grounds of cost or logistics.

Thanks
    I can't think of anything we haven't offered based on what you've said. Our SL is usually available for most things and so am I. We have reliable ASLs should either of us not be around.

Reasons for not offering an event would be:

Cost
    Lack of adults
    Logistical issues
    Lack of equipment
    Failure of risk assessment

We've never NOT turned up to a District event. Lack of equipment sometimes means we have to limit numbers though!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 848 Posts
    Well for one thing we have a plan of what we are going to do when (camps, hostel trips, hikes etc) and if another activity is too close in time or too similar an event to other things we are already planning to offer then we won't offer that activity to the kids as simply put it would mean neither event getting sufficient support from our kids to make them worthwhile.

We have a County camp this year and at the last District Team and GSLs meeting I'd say half the Groups represented said they would not be attending. Why? Because County in their wisdom have organised it for over Spring Bank holiday which is a time many Troops already go camping We got far better support for joint District Camps held over the weekend St George's day is on as its not a weekend traditionally used for camps (ok that weekend is not really a sensible option this year due to the clash with Easter dates).
    Last edited by shiftypete; 26-02-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    ..'cos they're human. Some have good reason, some don't. It's a funny old world.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be so much fun...
    GSL 1st Aylburton & Lydney, TA, ESL(YL), District Campsite Warden & webmanager .....only 1 hour a week, they said (not pointing out that was what was left)

Thanks
    For me it will be one of three reasons: Cost of the event/VFM. Availability of leaders/other commitment or previous experience of the event.
    Shaun

SL
    Hanging Heaton Scout Group

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 1,726 Posts
    I usually inform my lot of anything that is available. They make the decision to go or not.

If they want to go, I will make it happen - irrespective of what I want to do.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

BSL - Got my WB!! woop!!! CanterburyFox's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think it depends on the commitment of the ASLs, i have 4 ABSL's at my colony (i know that makes me lucky!!!) but they all made it clear that outside of the weekly meetings they dont want to put much if any background work in... so i start the wheels with organising something... see what leaders can make the event/activity and the limit the number of places available depending on this, or top it up with parent helpers... though i have the feeling im not going to be short of leaders for the trip to legoland in Oct!!!

FOX
    BSL, 14th Canterbury Beavers, ADC Beavers & Canterbury Clangers Network Chair Person

No. 1 fan of OSM - Its Awesome!! Thanks Ed!!
    Online Scout Manager takes care of your admin so you can take care of your scouts!

Thanks
    Leaders can sometimes only put in as much time as they can afford, but there are others that will pick and choose what they do, and there are those that just want to turn up to an event, take part and then go home again having had no input into the organising. We all commit as much as we can, but I feel that there are some who dont put the committment in. It's all well and good saying 'I commit 2-3 hours a week to scouting', but if that is just turning up on a meeting night or an event, is that committment? or just giving up time? What about those who undertake the organising of an event?

Fox, you said that your 4 ABSL's dont want to put any background work in, so who does it.....you? You say that your trip to legoland isn't going to have any trouble getting leaders to go. So someone organises the whole trip and your ABSL's go along for the ride, and I suppose the following week at work they will say they took x number of beavers to legoland. Well they didn't, they accompanied some beavers to legoland someone else took them.
    It has said that we are volunteers and give our time, but surely by taking out a warrant we are making a committment to provide the balance programme as stated by the scout association and that involves doing the background work.

Thanks
    Hi Alf

Not always possible , example , Im a section leader and I am unable to attend the district winter camp , people might say leaders go for free on this event - great , brilliant , I have 2 sons each wanting to do activities which for youth cost , then have to put more leave in at work loss of my time , I do not work for a large organization where they accomodate this , with this in mind I also have to take time of from work to spend time with the family , I am also the only driver in my house , so with that I need to be able to take them to the events and with the cost of fuel , well lets not get started

I do everything in my power to accomodate the youth and i give up valuable time , of which dont get me wrong i enjoy otherwise i would not be doing it , but if i started to participate in everything , the cost for me alone would be at stupid amounts and im not prepared to pay for everything this is the same for most parents i believe

I am a section leader and a parent I am sorry but my family comes first , if that is a poor attitude then I am appaulled that other leaders such as what you have indicated judge me for that What more do you want me to do?

Scout Leader - Air Rifle Shooting instructor
    7th Bramshill (hook)

Thanks
    watsit,
    Alf's point was about section leaders who wont do activities because either they don't want to do them or aren't available but have assistants who are. You are saying that you don't do them because of other committments, family, work, etc. But on district camp do the YP in your section attend? Who takes them, your assistants? You are not forsaking the camp for your secction because to don't want to do it or cant attend are you.