Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tick Bite Prevention Week

Thanks

Tick Bite Prevention Week

I've just been alerted that 'Tick Bite Prevention Week' starts on 11th April. They've got a web site here:
    http://www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 787 Posts
    Has anyone informed the ticks?

(sorry couldn't resist)

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks

" Leave Off......"

' I think we have enough fairly real Conditions to deal with at the moment......

" The first Parent I see with a Child with some sort of mystery Illness picked up because they took their dog for a walk will spend some hours explaining their concerns to the Local Authority ' Child Protection Team '..........".

Dr.Stu..

Thanks
    Dr. Stu
    Not sure what you're trying to say? Tick bites are serious and doctors, at least on this side of the pond and this far North, often miss the diagnosis. I watched a 36 year old co-worker take two years to die from Lyme disease because it was not diagnosed for about 9 months, by which time the disease had progressed so far that it could not be treated. It was a terrible way to die as the disease slowly paralyzed his muscles, starting with gradually being unable to feed himself and progressing slowly until he could not breath.

Any campaign that enlightens the public and the medical profession as to the symptoms of this disease is a good one in my opinion. I agree that it is not very common but the consequences of not recognizing it are deadly.
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,308 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Fortunately, we don't have lyme disease in the UK

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftypete View Post
    Has anyone informed the ticks?

(sorry couldn't resist)
    Oh thank you I needed a laugh
    Angela GSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    Member of Stockton and District Scout Group Executive Committee
    English doesn't borrow from other languages, it chases them down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    Really...?

"The Health Protection Agency (HPA) estimates that there are 1,000-2,000 cases of Lyme disease in the UK each year."

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Lyme-di...roduction.aspx
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,308 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    Really...?

"The Health Protection Agency (HPA) estimates that there are 1,000-2,000 cases of Lyme disease in the UK each year."

Oh...

Every day's a school day!

Thanks
    Ticks carry harmful infections that can be transmitted to humans. It is estimated that each year up to 3,000 people in the UK contract Lyme disease (Borreliosis) from a tick bite.*

*Health Protection Agency 2008

I copied the above from the web site.

Before my colleague contracted and died from the disease I also had been told that the disease did not exist in Canada - too cold in winter for the ticks to survive. However, turns out that this is misinformation and probably the main reason why the doctors here often miss the diagnosis.

The cynic in me would suggest that the governments want to foster the idea that the disease is not present as apparently the testing to confirm diagnosis is very expensive and they don't want the health system hit with a large number of tests "just in case"!
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSheppard View Post
    Really...?

You beat me to it - I know someone that has Lyme Disease and got it in this country.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    I've had it. May still have it, I don't know and my doctor doesn't seem to know either.

I'd had plenty tick bites in previous years and nothing ever came of them.

Then one day I was working on Mull and only noticed the day after when I'd got back to Oban, in the shower and found a wee moving spot on the top of my arm. Vaseline out and smother the sod* (as I'd always done), anyway out he came and I thought nothing of it.

Couple of hours later I noticed a red ring, similar to a bullseye, round the bite. Marker out, red line round the ring. Couple of hours again and the ring had got bigger. Off to the doctor.

Blood test sent off and 2 days later results back, antibodies to Lyme Disease present. 3 weeks of nice big drugs, Doxycycline I think they were. I had to reduce my exposure to sunlight (hard when you work outside) and try not to be sick with them.

As far as I understand there is no test for Lyme Disease itself, only for the antibodies that your body produces to fight it.

*We'd always removed ticks this way, this is bad!! The tick can get a fright and regurgitate its stomach contents into you and this increases the chances of contracting the disease (if it has it). Burning does the same thing.
    You should get yourself a tick remover for the first aid kit.

Now, getting that remover from a pet shop produces some funny looks when the assistant offers you drugs to prevent ticks biting or spreading the disease instead and you explain you're not going to take the drugs as its for yourself and not your dog.

Reporting it as an incident at work also throws up some humour when the call handler asks why you didn't try to get out the way when this 'animal' was trying to bite you.
    Snab

Scottish Scout Active Support Unit Manager

Thanks
    the otom brand remover came highly recommended to me! There is a lot of misconceptions in the UK about them (several people I know have said leave them in etc - probably from the view that they are harmless!)

nele
    Thanks
    Ticks are certainly a problem here in Belgium, and in mainland Europe so if you're camping here make sure you bring a tick remover. A pair of tweezers with angled end (eyebrow plucking type) also work well.

Not all of the ticks carry Lymes or other diseases but its important to treat promptly as its impossible to tell that by looking at them! We tell young people to check for ticks every day at camp and parents to check again when they get home.
    I and the family have been bitten numerous times and never been infected but I have known quite a few young people get lymes disease. Luckily all received prompt and appropriate treatment preventing further ill effects

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have dealt with many ticks in my time mostly on my springer spaniel who apears to be a tick magnet.
    I have had 1 myslef which was a juvenile but I was slightly concerned (not as much as my wife) as my skin has a tendency to react badly bites and sunlight etc etc and so it looked quite bad but was OK.

Several of my Scouts have had ticks when we have been camping too.
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

Thanks
    The advice re this year's Jamboree and ticks is conflicting. What do people think?
    TrevScout
    South Yorkshire