Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bag-packing advice

Thanks
    just remember not to shake buckets/collection tins with money in-
    please correct me if anyone is more knowledgeable, but I am sure that when I was collecting with Childline, they told me that it is actually illegal.

Thanks
    hmm, ive heard something similar to that, also it doesnt help as possible people who would donate get put off and walk the other way.
    Daniel

Explorer Scout Leader | Group Trustee
    4th Huddersfield Golcar Scout Group
    4thgolcar.org.uk
    District Media Development Manager
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rich
    just remember not to shake buckets/collection tins with money in-
    please correct me if anyone is more knowledgeable, but I am sure that when I was collecting with Childline, they told me that it is actually illegal.
    Not sure that it is definately illegal, but it can be classed as harassment, and I believe that charges have been brought against charity collectors in the past. If you've ever had someone shake a bucket at you, you'll know that it doesn't encourage you to give them money!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recneps
    Not sure that it is definately illegal, but it can be classed as harassment, and I believe that charges have been brought against charity collectors in the past. If you've ever had someone shake a bucket at you, you'll know that it doesn't encourage you to give them money!
    As this is not a street collection, they laws do not come into play. You need a licence from the council (in Scotland anyway) to do a street collection.

You are collecting money with the supermarkets permission, so no such problem there. I suggest you just put the collecting tins on the checkouts, at the end so you have full control of it, with the scout logo etc on it.

Thanks

Arrow Bag Packing - Hints and Tips

I' guessing I'm a bit late here with my information, but I might as well post my first post.

I work in a supermarket (Sainsbury's), along with studying but I mainly work at cubs (or so it feels sometimes) and we quite often have scout groups come and do some bag packing, a few hints, tips and things I have noticed over the years are:

That generally people give more money if you have an aim for your money, not just "general" fundraising...i.e. saving for a pack holiday, also they give lots more if they think its worthwhile.

Shaking tins is just a noise, and there is plenty of that in a supermarket!

The "Golden Oldies" give lots more than the lazy students who would hapily let you take it home and unpack it for 20p. (I'm a student too!)

Always talk to the customer, get them to ask questions about what your doing and make sure your always smiling. Happy Happy Happy! Old people especially love this and give loads.

When it comes to shifts I'd make sure you pick the busiest times of day and do a couple of hours each, also some supermarkets give free things to volunteers packing bags (like refreshments) because your doing them a favour and most cutomers really like it.

Cash only tills make a lot because people have change (obviously) instead of with credit cards and all.

They can be quite profitable at the end of a day, and I know of scout groups making well into the hundreds.

Incidentaly if anybody also works in Sainsbury's and hasnt applied for their "Local Heros" grant then do so, it's money for nothing really.
    John - Cub Scout Leader, District Explorer Scout Commissioner