Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bag-packing advice

Thanks

Bag-packing advice

Hi there

My group is doing bag-packing at a local supermarket soon and I wondered if anyone had any advice to give about the wording to put on the buckets we are putting out for donations! Clearly we are not charging people for packing their bags but inviting them to make a donation for the bag-packing service we have provided... It occurred to me that some groups have done quite a bit of this in the past (this is our first time) and may have experimented a bit and found that some wording works and some doesn't!

I was thinking about:

"Bag-packing services provided by [our name] Scout Group. Donations welcome. Thankyou."

or

"[our name] Scout Group. Bag-packing to raise funds. Please give generously. Thankyou"

or

"Donations for bag-packing services welcome. [our name] Scout Group is raising funds for new camping equipment. Thankyou."

or

"If you feel able to make a donation for our bag-packing services, thankyou. [our name] Scout Group."

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or alternatives?!

Escouts Award Coordinator WideMonk's Avatar
    Thanks
    The first one sounds best to me, although we've never done any bag-packing so I cant offer experience.

The second one mentions about raising funds but leaves a big question 'what for?'
    The third one is OK except... what are the customers gonna do, a 'lap' round the bucket just to read it all ?? And its a bit too much to put all on one face.
    The last one.. its not 'to-the-point' enough.

If it were me, I'd stick with the first example.

[edit]
    Just another quick thought. Why bother mentioning the bag packing services.

If your kids are in uniform, surely it's pretty obvious what they're doing so wouldn't just this suffice:-

[Name] Scout Group
    Donations Welcome
    Thank You
    Last edited by WideMonk; 12-08-2005 at 01:43 PM.
    Simon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WideMonk
    The first one sounds best to me, although we've never done any bag-packing so I cant offer experience.

The second one mentions about raising funds but leaves a big question 'what for?'
    The third one is OK except... what are the customers gonna do, a 'lap' round the bucket just to read it all ?? And its a bit too much to put all on one face.
    The last one.. its not 'to-the-point' enough.

If it were me, I'd stick with the first example.

[edit]
    Just another quick thought. Why bother mentioning the bag packing services.

If your kids are in uniform, surely it's pretty obvious what they're doing so wouldn't just this suffice:-

[Name] Scout Group
    Donations Welcome
    Thank You
    Thanks for the input, I agree that keeping it simple is always the best option! There's only so much room on the side of a bucket...

Thanks
    Incidentally, welcome to escouts!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    Incidentally, welcome to escouts!!!!
    Thanks! I've lurked for several months but thought it was about time I joined up! Incidentally, I note you are based in Purley, I was born in Croydon, lived for 26 years in Sanderstead and was educated (if that is the correct description!) at Riddlesdown School, which I guess is not a million miles away from you! I'm based in Oxfordshire now though and my folks have moved away so don't tend to go back there much though. I was a member of the 1st Selsdon & Addington Scout Group (I think - it was a long time ago!) but I have no idea whether they are still around.

Thanks
    Lived in Sanderstead? wooohooooo yayyyyy!!!!

I go to 16th Purley, which is behind the chippy and Indian if you remember! Yeah Riddlesdown is about 10 mins from me, I live off Downs court road! Also, from what I can remember, 1st s and a still exists!

Escouts Award Coordinator WideMonk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yes... welcome.

Perhaps you should 'advertise' your group in you Signature etc.
    Its always nice to see what diverse areas visit us here at Escouts.
    Simon

Thanks
    Welcome to

We have done alot of bag packing, why not just put 'Donations Welcome, {your scout group name}'.

Then if anyone asks what you are raising funds for just tell them its to buy new camping equipment, or if there is a major reason like a group trip abroad, or a mini bus etc, just let them know.

Also if you have a donation box on each till, even if you are not bag packing at that till, people may still donate.

Another alternative is to catch people as they leave the store, at the door.

Younger members, i.e. beavers and cubs always seam to attract more money, invite them to help (obviously a adult will be needed with them, i.e. eggs at the bottom with tins on top etc someone always does it )

Good Luck, its very easy money.
    Daniel

Explorer Scout Leader | Group Trustee
    4th Huddersfield Golcar Scout Group
    4thgolcar.org.uk
    District Media Development Manager
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Careful with the Buckets

a) 1 tesco's we have been to would only accept 'buckets' with a money box type slit in

b) Don't make them too big - remember what a bucket full of change weighs

Martyn

Thanks
    yes, we used the small collection tins, the ones you see at the side of tills in small shops, that other charities use.
    Daniel

4thgolcar.org.uk
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for their comments! Any suggestions as to where I might procure these smaller collection tins - can't say I've ever seen anywhere selling them?! Presumably they are preferable to a bucket for security reasons as well as the weight issue?

One other question for those who have done it before: we are not sure how long a shift to ask people to work - does one hour on and half an hour off seem OK? What worked for you guys?

Re the comment about putting some details of my group in the signature, dare I ask another question - how do I do that?

Cheers!

Thanks
    Bagpacking is always a good fundraiser

We use smallish plant pots, not the small small ones, so probably medium sized really then.

We bag-pack at christmas, and last year was "1st Snodland Scout Group. Raising Funds for Activities throughout 2005."

We had a beaver stood at the door also, that was a quick raiser

We operated 10 - 6 on two saturday's, and we said, do as much or as little as you want, if you stay all day we'll provide lunch and drinks etc

If a scout is getting tired, give them a break, otherwise let them carry on, just remember the fact they must have at least 15 mins every 4 hours.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fox
    Re the comment about putting some details of my group in the signature, dare I ask another question - how do I do that?
    Of cause you can ask, theres no problem with asking questions here. And even better than just asking, someone will provide you with an answer.

The links in the blue bar above, click User CP, this is your user control panel, then click signature and type into the box, and submit/save, then all your posts on escouts that you have already posted, or which you will post in the future will all contain that information.

Hope that helps.
    Daniel

4thgolcar.org.uk
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    All your posts on escouts that you have already posted, or which you will post in the future will all contain that information.
    it ahould automatically change all of the posts that u have made to what ur signature says.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Ask the supermarket if you can put some posters up, perhaps on the tills or in the entrance, saying what the bag packing is in aid of. It might also help recruitment