Thread: Attendance (Android App)

Thanks

Attendance (Android App)

Does anyone else use anything like this?.

I started last night and found it quite useful, although it would be more accurate to call this one Absence, as you mark people as absent rather than in attendance. You simply upload a list of names to a google doc that you link the app to, and it updates it according to who you have marked as absent (or late). It means I can easily tap names on my phone and update the register when I get back to my PC. So far easier than a pen/pencil on a piece of A4 with nothing to rest it on etc! and I might have to wait to get back into a signal for some meetings, but have yet to see how versatile it is out on the moors etc.

Would be interested to hear if anyone uses anything similar and how they compare.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    I've thought about using a similar system before but my fear is that, when the stinky stuff hits the fan, do I have a reliable list of who is present?

I know with a bit of paper that if theres a fire or incident, I know who I'm counting off outside at the assembly point, not relying on my phone to still have battery life!

What I'd love but is totally over engineered and over the top (the way I like it) is to have a phone app, which connects to the troop computer sat in the cupboard, after finishing the register, it prints out a single "who is present" list for an emergency :-)

Thanks
    What's better, a piece of paper on a table that you didn't pick up in the rush to get everyone out of a burning, smoke filled hall or a list on your phone in your pocket? There are scenarios in both cases where one is better than the other.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike142sl View Post
    Does anyone else use anything like this?.
    Not yet, but I have just installed the iPhone version (or at least an iPhone app of the same name) and will be giving its first proper trial 'in the field' tonight.

Seems perfect from a quick shuffle through.

Full contact list. Ability to add notes to individual kids. Contact details. Register. Reports. Only downside is it's linked to my phone and my phone only, but that can be overcome by ensuring that a printout of contact / medical info is always available to leaders (which is is anyway).
    Terrible, wonderful, crazy, perfect.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lambert View Post
    What's better, a piece of paper on a table that you didn't pick up in the rush to get everyone out of a burning, smoke filled hall or a list on your phone in your pocket? There are scenarios in both cases where one is better than the other.
    Personally I probably wouldn't use either in the first instance - tend to keep an eye on numbers rather than names. Quite often the case in the dark anyway where you can't make out who's who, so head counting works better than any list - same would apply in a 'fire scenario'

Anyway, back on topic.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    Personally I probably wouldn't use either in the first instance - tend to keep an eye on numbers rather than names. Quite often the case in the dark anyway where you can't make out who's who, so head counting works better than any list - same would apply in a 'fire scenario'

Anyway, back on topic.
    Only if your count ends up at the right number! What happens if you're 1 short?
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    I use the iPhone attendance App (which from the OP's description sounds like a different App).

It is great for my needs, Once you have taken register you can randomly pair off YP who are actually there (or other group sizes) which is good for fair teams in games.

We do have a paper register too, belt and braces approach as it were.
    Michael Collins
    County Beaver Scout Leader Hampshire
    ABSL 14th Eastleigh Scout Group

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Canada View Post
    Only if your count ends up at the right number! What happens if you're 1 short?
    Exactly the same as with taking a register ????? What do you do when someone is missing from a register? and what is quicker, reading names out and waiting for a reply or counting heads? PLs are very quick to identify who is missing from their Patrol. And in any case, with the burning building scenario that everyone likes to quote, the fire service are not interested in names, just the fact that someone is left in the building and how many.

Thanks
    with a register, at least you know "Fred" is missing, with a head count, you just know 1 is missing!

For scout meetings in the hall, the register is kept in the same place and its part of our fire drill to take it with us when exiting the building.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cbKernow View Post
    with a register, at least you know "Fred" is missing, with a head count, you just know 1 is missing!
    Are you still talking burning building scenario here? If so what benefit is there in knowing it's Fred over being able to tell the fire service there is still a member of your group in the building. In any case by the time the fire service were there Fred's PL will have told you it is Fred that is not present.

Now all we need is for someone to point out that neither register or headcount tell you whether he's actually in the building at all and escouts will be back on course

Back to the original request:
    "Does anyone else use anything like this?."
    and
    "Would be interested to hear if anyone uses anything similar and how they compare."

Thanks
    Now all we need is for someone to point out that neither register or headcount tell you whether he's actually in the building at all and escouts will be back on course
    When I finally persuade the parents to let me RFID tag the kids, it will be sorted....

Back to the original request:
    "Does anyone else use anything like this?."
    No - I want a system that doesn't rely on me having to remember to plug in my phone to charge...

Thanks

Anyway, back on topic.
    Unfortunately that would not work if *you* were injured, and I'm not sure it would pass if there was a spot check on your group.

I'll download the app and have a play, thanks for posting this up. I'm not sure (even as a techy) that I'd prefer it in an emergency situation.

I already have my Cubs contact details sync'd on my phone from the wonderful SMS spreadsheet, with contact and medical details.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn-Cubs View Post
    Unfortunately that would not work if *you* were injured,
    Neither would the register in that case? the other leaders would have to rely on err counting heads!

Thanks
    A paper register could be picked up by anyone, and is easily read and understood. In the event of a building on fire trying to double check who is safe and who is still missing may be more complicated by an electronic version.

I've been using computers since my early teens and have 20 years in the IT industry - sometimes paper is still better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn-Cubs View Post
    A paper register could be picked up by anyone, and is easily read and understood. In the event of a building on fire trying to double check who is safe and who is still missing may be more complicated by an electronic version.

I've been using computers since my early teens and have 20 years in the IT industry - sometimes paper is still better.
    I think your just making a hypothetical situation fit. the thing about hypothetical situations is that you can introduce anything you like - in this case the register gets burnt in the fire ???