Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hardship fund

Thanks

Unhappy hardship fund

as usual some advise required, need somebody to point me in right direction,
    my group are having family camp on last bh weekend in May.
    to cut long story short i approached one of mums as to why child in Scouts is allowed to go but second child in cubs was not, i assumed it was for a different reason which i wont go into. said Mum finally explained that due to monetary troubles (please, do not want to get into a political debate)
    My question is: is there a hardship fund that our group can call upon to help this (or any other) parent out, my feelings are that we have paid an enormous amount in capitation over the years so to ask for a minimal amount back is not unrealistic.
    Would not like to think that said family will have to miss out on a camp because of a problem not of their own making.

Thanks
    There is;

1st and easiest way is to talk to GSL who will quickly run by Chairman and exec...if we're talking 1 child and extenuating circumstances group funds should be able to fund this.

Failing that there is the Grants from Gilwell
    http://www.scouts.org.uk/supportreso...66&moduleID=10

However as you will see in the financial hardship section they expect local fundraising to be exhausted first and you would be expected to demonstrate the hardship, benefits ect....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,586 Posts
    I'm afraid that this has to be a local issue.

What is the cause of the hardship? Unemployment? Illness? Or is one or other or both parents spending irresponsibly? (Yes it is a judgement call).

Do we punish the child because the parents are alcoholics (for example). Or do we take their word and offer anyone who claims hardship a free ride?

There is no simple answer.

For the record, I have got this wrong in the past _ I have subsidised those whose parents could pay but wouldn't, and refused those who couldn't but would.

How can you really know what the truth is?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    I have had various instances with my Scout and Cubs sections where there are financial hardship and marital splits etc. Gilwell (The chaps name is Bruce I think who controls/advises) have a fund which can be accessed under various circumstances and I understand has a reasonable amount of money in it - They will, I think, finance up to 50% of camp fees. I think a link has already been postewd on this thread but if not give Gilwell a call and chat through with the staff they will I am sure point you in the right direction. There is also another fund which will help with uniform costs.

As far as honesty/qualification is concerned surely the point of what we do is to encourage everyone to try things by experience and I tend to treat everyone on face value and let them examine thier own conscience. I would prefer to have the young people on camp than not!
    Last edited by GreyBro15th; 28-04-2011 at 09:42 PM.
    Simon 'Grey' Alexander
    District Commissioner
    Eastern Norwich

Thanks

thanks for info

Ewan,

originally was concerned as unfortunately there are always people who can pay but wont but on this occassion it is none of the things you have suggested, it is more to do with cutbacks in local services and loss of employment.

I also agree with previous post, why punish the child for what can sometimes be the Parents misgivngs.

but thanks because within minutes i have several leads and answers to my question, i also do not believe that this will be a one off.

Thanks
    I know that Wolfie has one, and she may be a good person to speak to.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks

wolfie

Marcush,

not sure who wolfie is, would it be possible for you to get them to pm me please.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scousescouter View Post
    Marcush,

not sure who wolfie is, would it be possible for you to get them to pm me please.
    That's me Will do....
    Louise

GSL 1st Fenstanton & Hilton Scout Group www.scubes.co.uk

TA - Cromwell District (Cambridgeshire)

Media Manager - Cubjam2016

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks
    Our local Council was running a scheme for kids receiving free school meals, seems to be running out this summer though, whereby children could receive up to £150 to do a physical activity. (Called Give it a go)

Some have used to buy bikes/scooters or fund swimming lessons. We have 5 cubs and 1 beaver on the scheme and it has paid their subs for the year, bought uniform and paid for several activities/camps... but the group had to register with the scheme and the child had to be given a registration number... once the money runs out they cannot claim any more. We are waiting to see if it will be reinstated in September. I can't believe it is only Cornwall that have done this - may be worth approaching local council one stop shop (or equivalent)

I agree that the group exec should be approached in this instance - we have a pot of money , recycled uniforms etc for kids from low income families and any donations get put into it. maybe the group could pay half for both kids?

2 kids, 1 house, non-scouty husband, BSL, ACSL, and 1 full time job!! If I can do it why can't everybody else?!?

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scousescouter View Post
    ....my group are having family camp on last bh weekend in May... but second child in cubs was not... Mum finally explained that due to monetary troubles...my question is: is there a hardship fund that our group can call upon to help this (or any other) parent out...
    Would not like to think that said family will have to miss out on a camp
    there are many support funds around (hq and most likely in your county and district) to meet such occurrences and you lilely will be able to apply to these. you could find that support comes in many forms, e.g. matching funding, support only for camp fees or kit, &c, or that there's only one set pot per year (which has now been exhausted), or there are means tests to meet. and you might not have time to do all this in the time that's left.

does your group not have some form of support fund or contingency fund or some such like? there's a difference here between a local (?) weekend camp and sending someone to a jamboree on the other side of the globe.

my group has a support fund for this type of situation. the group will fund any member who struggles financially to access the basic programme. (there has to be boundaries and limts as we're not flush with cash!) the gsl 'manages' it so only they know those who apply to it, the gsl is 'overseen' in their access to funds by the gc (who knows about an application but not applicants) and records of access to it go before the gec (just financial, no names).

thus if it was us experiencing such... then our fund would support this yp.

so, do you have such a fund, or can you create financial support in this instance, or are you struggling?

would you like my group's fund to help? i'm sure i can get the money over to hull/wherever and i'm sure you're not seeking much (?).

(and that reminds me! i've got other support stuff to send off to another escouter, so if you're reading this, it'll be on its way soon!)

cordially yours, TM

Thanks
    There was a set of pilot schemes across the country to help poorer families access out of school activities (it shouldn't have been for just physical activity, I don't think - and it shouldn't have been for in school activities either, unless they were a lot more flexible than other areas).
    It was piloted maybe a year or two ago and was called wildly different things in different areas, just to confuse the voluntary/out of school sector I think. I have no idea what happened to it after that.
    Ex-Brownie, Guide and Venture Scout, current Rainbow and Brownie Guider from NW England - here to pick your brains, sorry, exchange ideas.

Fox is what you get called when the young members pick your name, it's better than the alternative choices!

Thanks
    If the Group is big enough then funding one person for a Family Camp shouldn't be a problem. We always budget a contingency factor --- perhaps you could use some of this?
    TrevScout
    South Yorkshire

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post

Do we punish the child because the parents are alcoholics (for example). Or do we take their word and offer anyone who claims hardship a free ride?

There is no simple answer.
    There is - we just say if they can't afford it they don't go.

nele
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaawaterloo View Post
    What happens when it's the leaders who can't afford to take their own children, and therefore have to stop organising camps etc. ? Are they a special case or should we be trying to make scouting accessible for all wherever possible ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,586 Posts
    Ah, now there is a true scouting ethos!

So, essentially all the participants at Jamborees from third world countries should be excluded from going?

Sorry, but helping out someone in genuine trouble should be part of what we do. The difficulty is in determining who qualifies.

I've seen kids drop out when Dad gets made redundant. Well, we can make allowances, surely. I've had subs cheques bounce in the same scenario, and the treasurer has asked what to do. I've said leave it. They pick up payments when they get back to work. I'm not bothered if they don't make up the missed payments.

I do get annoyed by the can pay, don't pays though.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk