Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want a full time Scouting Job?

Thanks

Want a full time Scouting Job?

West Lancashire County Scout Council

Appointment of a County Development Officer

A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a dedicated individual to take on the above post commencing Spring/Summer 2011 for a three year contract.

The prime objectives of the post are to recruit & retain adult volunteers in Scouting that will lead to an increase in our youth membership. Additionally, you will support the implementation of the County Development Plan.

In this role you will help strengthen existing Scouting and grow Scouting in new places, new communities and in different ways. A key element will be working with community and local government organisations to recruit adult volunteers. The job demands a flexible approach with frequent evening and weekend working.

You need excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to manage a diverse workload. You must be enthusiastic, able to enthuse others and be self motivated. You need to be committed to the ethos of the Scout Association, with a clear grasp of how Scouting can work in urban, rural and minority ethnic communities. You must have a full driving licence, have access to a car and be familiar with Microsoft Office applications. Previous experience in youth work and the voluntary sector is desirable.

Are you up to the challenge?

For further information and a detailed job description, please request an application pack from the Administrative Officer at the address below or e-mail [email protected] requesting a pack.

Closing date for applications is close of business on Friday the 20th May 2010

County Scout Office
    Waddecar Scout Activity Centre
    Snape Rake Lane
    Goosnargh
    Preston
    Lancashire
    PR3 2EU

Tel: 01995 61336

Thanks
    Seems like a nice opportunity.

Any idea what the salary is?

Simon
    Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri

(Ever noticed how wherever you stand, the smoke goes right into your face?)

Thanks
    I'm guessing around £21,000

Thanks
    Assume closing date is meant to say 2011?

Thanks
    More details about the job and application forms etc can be found here - http://www.westlancashirescouts.org....loads/view/158

Ingleby, Redcar And Cleveland, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Having looked at the Job Advert and the Spec anyone going for that must be either a wealthy retiree or independently wealthy £21K provide your own car, evenings and weekends. Good luck to finding someone that meets the Spec
    Richard Fenton
    CSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    www.hartburnseascouts.org

Thanks
    A similar job came up in County Durham I believe

Like most jobs - the most attractive ones offer smaller salaries - I'd love to do someting like this if I was in a position to.

Barney

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsallwizard View Post
    Having looked at the Job Advert and the Spec anyone going for that must be either a wealthy retiree or independently wealthy £21K provide your own car, evenings and weekends. Good luck to finding someone that meets the Spec
    You don't need to be wealthy to work for 21k, I'd leap at it and I'm as poor as church mice.

Ingleby, Redcar And Cleveland, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    The terms and conditions set in the spec for this job will sadly put it out of the reach of most. Having to ensure your car for business use will stick another grand on your insurance, the extra mileage will mean at least one extra sevice per year, those two alone will probably set you back above £1k so that knocks a whole in your £21K before you start.

On the bright side though you could move toBurnley lowest cost houses in the UK. and then of course you have to have Eccles Cake
    Richard Fenton
    CSL 1st Hartburn Sea Scouts (Graham Mellanby's Own)
    www.hartburnseascouts.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Business Class 1 adds very little if anything to most premiums. Direct Line used to give you it free, may still do.

Assuming this doesn't count as commercial travel (i.e. sales) which I would doubt.

Neil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Thanks
    The terms and conditions set in the spec for this job will sadly put it out of the reach of most. Having to ensure your car for business use will stick another grand on your insurance, the extra mileage will mean at least one extra sevice per year, those two alone will probably set you back above £1k so that knocks a whole in your £21K before you start.

On the bright side though you could move toBurnley lowest cost houses in the UK. and then of course you have to have Eccles Cake
    me and my wifes car is insured for full business use, because we both do various bits of driving for work and with admiral the total cost of the insurance for both cars just under a grand. When I last looked business insurance at very most added £100ish per month, but these tended to be the "value" providers where there were a lot of extras.

£21k is probably about £1200/1300 per month, possibly slightly less if they've got a student loan. Particularly if you're living with someone else and they also bringing in an income, its certainly not a barrier in its own right. Even if you are currently earning more than £21k and can't afford to take the hit on reduced salary, its not a barrier to access becasue its no different to any other job paying less than your current salary.
    Martin Whelan

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    I used my car for work (visiting sites etc.) and there was little if any extra premium for that use.
    My question would be: would any of you enjoy doing this sort of thing full time? At the moment we are -presumably- all volunteers and doing it because we like it. Would this change if it was a job and you had to do it full time (and funny hours at that!)?
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    I think I'd have to give up my volunteering position to do it full time. I'd probably apply for it if I wasn't in the middle of a PhD!

I know one of the existing County Development Officers for West Lancs and as far as I know it's flexible working. Odd hours perhaps but you can shape the hours that you do depending on the projects you're working on.

I can't imagine too many early starts...
    Scout Active Support Member & Webmaster
    Deep Sea Scouts National SASU

Membership Data & Engagement Support Manager
    Merseyside County Scouts

Webmaster
    St. Helens Scout District - 1st Whiston Scout Group - 1st Kirkby Scout Group

Tawd Vale Active Support Unit
    Tawd Vale Scout Camp

Thanks
    Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkgap View Post
    At the moment we are -presumably- all volunteers and doing it because we like it. Would this change if it was a job and you had to do it full time (and funny hours at that!)?
    For me? Yes, it would, which is why I've never gone for a job like that (apart from the pay). As an example, since I've worked in IT I've had no interest in programming etc in my spare time.

Neil

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks

To put this in perspective, in Wales, £21,000 would be classed as an "above average" salary!
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"