Thread: Scouting Magazine for Under 18s

Thanks

Scouting Magazine for Under 18s

Hi Wayne,

As a Cub Young Leader, I often find it frustrating that there is no option on my Backpack to get access to Scouting Magazine or Scouting Plus.
    I understand that you clearly don't want to have it set to automatically go out to every under 18 on the database, but surely an "Opt-In" box would not be too much of an issue. I believe that there is a select core of people who would actually request the magazine as they are more enthusiastic than perhaps some adult leaders !! You can see in my signature just how much time I give to Scouting, and cannot wait to become an actual warranted adult leader... but until that point, why must I be deprived of the great articles and news that will surely affect me!

Also, I know that it can be read online, but nothing beats the feeling of a magazine in your hands!

Hope to see you back in Carlisle soon, it was a really good evening!!

Ben
    Could you not talk to one of the Cub Leaders, or another leader in your group, maybe even your ESL and see if you can get your hands on one locally - more then likely someone will be happy to pass on their magazine.

I happen to agree that an opt-in for Young Leaders/Explorers would be a positive step.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    Or just read them online?
    Scout Active Support Member & Webmaster
    Deep Sea Scouts National SASU

Membership Data & Engagement Support Manager
    Merseyside County Scouts

Webmaster
    St. Helens Scout District - 1st Whiston Scout Group - 1st Kirkby Scout Group

Tawd Vale Active Support Unit
    Tawd Vale Scout Camp

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Donnelly View Post
    Or just read them online?
    As he said, nothing beats the feeling of a magazine in your hands!

I much prefer the print editions.

I do think that it would be great to get the magazine and supps out to YLs and Explorers.

Escouts Team & System Dev Magician's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you email Info centre, they will arrange to have you added to a distribution list.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,586 Posts
    I used to take the magazines down to the Scout Hut. No-one bothered with them. I'm not sure that too many youth members would show that much interest in the magazines. However, I agree that there should be an opt in option.

One thing to consider... If the circulation of the magazine were to double due to interest from youth members, that would have a serious impact upon the costs of print and distribution. The ad revenue would not go up proportionately to cover the costs. It is very difficult to increase ad rates once they are established, so the circulation generally needs to be tightly controlled.
    Last edited by Bushfella; 10-05-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

nele
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushfella View Post
    One thing to consider... If the circulation of the magazine were to double due to interest from youth members, that would have a serious impact upon the costs of print and distribution. The ad revenue would not go up proportionately to cover the costs. It is very difficult to increase ad rates once they are established, so the circulation generally needs to be tightly controlled.
    On the other hand they send 4 to our house (2 leaders and 2 Network) but as we're in 3 different sections we various different supplements. If the opting in/out was a bit more flexible 1 mag and the necessary supplements would probably be cheaper, then what we currently get.

I save mine and give them to new leaders or others who are interested but not yet on the list

Thanks
    I'm sure there's a way you can opt in for more than one supplement - I seem to get Beavers and Network, or is that just a quirk that only works if one of the supplements is network?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary Monster View Post
    I'm sure there's a way you can opt in for more than one supplement - I seem to get Beavers and Network, or is that just a quirk that only works if one of the supplements is network?
    I think that only works for Network. I only get Focus, but would love to get the Beaver sup (I'm acting BSL) and there's no-one else in the group attached to Beavers so I can't borrow someone else's.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary Monster View Post
    Yep, quirk for Network to reflect that Network members may also have a role in another section.

I get Network & Focus supplements.

Agree that more flexibility to opt in/out based on number of mags coming to one house would be good
    Richard Sams "Doughboy"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magician View Post
    If you email Info centre, they will arrange to have you added to a distribution list.
    They'll only do this if you hold an adult appointment.

Max,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately as you do not hold an adult appointment you will not be able to sign up to the magazine. However if you have been added to the membership database you will be able to view the magazines online using your login details.

Kind Regards