Thread: Activity bases for 400 beavers/cub/scouts/explorers

Thanks

Activity bases for 400 beavers/cub/scouts/explorers

Hi everyone, hope you can help.

I'm off to District camp this weekend and I have to man a activity base. I had a nice base organised with compass bearings and navigating around a maze created with cones...but...now I've been told that each group of beavers/cubs/scouts/explorers will be at each base with a maximum of 3 minutes.

I guess that puts my ideas for my base out of the window. What I'm asking is any tips for bases for a group of 400 beavers, cubs, scouts, and explorers over a maximum time period of 3 minutes.

Suggestions would be soooo helpful :-) (grovel grovel)

thank you so much

Yours in Scouting
    Dave

Edited : Added 400 instead of 40 :-P

nele
    Thanks
    are you sure they haven't made a typo and its 30 minutes? I can't see many ideas which are interesting and can be done in 3 minutes!

Maybe games like coconut shy or similar.. or getting a cub of water among a string..

Thanks
    Can 400 people even arrive at a check point in 3 minutes?

Thanks
    that is ridiculously short, they can't learn anything in that time. I would email back and question that.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Its insane. Noone could organise a effective base and have 400 members do it in 3 minutes. 30 minutes is a lot more effective. Emailed the organisers of the camp about it. Hopefully they'll increase it.

Thanks
    400 people all at once on one base for 3 minutes?!?!?
    Alex Hampson

Scout Leader
    9th Farnborough Scout Group

www.9thfarnboroughscoutgroup.org.uk

It's true we don't know what we've got until its gone, but we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,760 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcg View Post
    Its insane. Noone could organise a effective base and have 400 members do it in 3 minutes. 30 minutes is a lot more effective. Emailed the organisers of the camp about it. Hopefully they'll increase it.
    er....hold a minute (or three!)

i think some here may be talking at cross-purposes.

is it:

1. (what i think) you have a camp with 400 yp. there will be an activity session for the 400 yp, yes/no? the session will comprise a number of bases, yes/no? and these bases will include yours, yes/no? (i.e. yours is one out of say 40 bases.) the plan is to split the yp into groups, yes/no? let's say groups of 10 yp, i.e. 40 groups, and you have 40 bases. each group visits every base, taking 3 minutes at each base, rotating in a defined order. thus 40 bases x 3 minutes = 120 minutes/2h.

or

2. you have 400 yp visit your base, which lasts 3 minutes. the rest of the time they do nothing or something else, i.e. it's a weekend camp with just 3 minutes of activity!

or even

3. you have 400 yp visit your base, which lasts 3 minutes. while they're doing that another 400 are visting another base. and another 400 are visiting yet another base......&c. and there are 40 bases and 16000 yp on camp!

i think you need to maybe clarify things a little so posters can possibly give a more helpful response.

so is it a camp with lots of bases and for that reason there's only going to be room in the schedule for a 'taste' at each (with each base visit lasting 3 minutes). are you then weighing up the advantage of having small groups at each base in this case against one in which the camp has fewer bases, with consequently more time to spend at each base, but the groups visiting each base will then necessarily have to be much bigger?

is it possible to double or triple-up groups at each base - i.e. still have small groups but say 2 or 3 of these groups visiting one base at the same time but being handled by three different parts of the base? or is this not possible because you haven't got the resources to double or triple, either equipment or leaders?

can you extend the time for the session/activity? or are you limited to a 2h session say and the rest of the time at camp is filled with other events/activities?

were you not informed by the organisers at the outset as to how long you had for each group, size of group, changeover, &c? this may have given you some insight then into what sort of base activity you needed to plan. (and if you weren't, i'd say you had the right to suggest the organisers couldn't plan the proverbial.....)

or did you not ask?

seems to me like a lot of effort and time have possibly been flushed right down the........

cordially yours, TM

Thanks
    3 minutes is perfect - they arrive, talk for 30 seconds or so, you get them quiet (another 30 seconds), explain what they have to do (1 minute), explain again because they weren't listening (30 seconds), answer questions (30 seconds) and then it's time to move on. You don't actually have to plan anything!

Thanks
    3 minutes? At district fundays each base has 5 minutes to move onto the next base.

You cant do much in 3 minutes, by the time they arrive, you expain it and check they all understand thats your time gone and they move onto the next place having done nothing. Most bases would need atleast 30 minutes, some more.

Even if it was a small camp you still need a decent amount of time at each base.

'Sorry little Johnnie, I know you have been looking forward to climbing and your busy putting on your harness but we have run out of time, you need to take it off and move onto the next base. And do hurry or you might miss not getting a go at archery.'
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,620 Posts
    If it is just 3 minutes, I'd be inclined to say that I had better things to do.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Three minutes per base is not meaningful.

You would just be wasting your time
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Thanks
    Hi Dave,

How did the weekend go and did you manage to find any activities you could deliver to all the age ranges within the 3 minutes allowed?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated for everyone who has odd bits of time to fill at meetings or camps.

Dave

David Gillard
    Event Manager
    Gilwell 24