Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Validating ID of parents for OH forms

Thanks

Validating ID of parents for OH forms

Following on from the success of our first outdoor Beaver camp earlier this year, we decided to hold a Big Adventure summer camp for Beavers and parents. Take up has been fantastic and here lies the problem. Our GSL is insistent that the evidence for identity checks for all OH CRB applications can only be validated by him. Not a problem you may think but it has proven to be so.

Our GSL doesn’t see us every week and understandably some of our parents have refused to hand over their driving licence / passport into my care until he has seen them.

So my question arises purely out of bone idleness into researching POR. Is he right or can I as a section leader validate their identity?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 805 Posts
    I don't know if they are right but our DC says any adult member can complete the ID evidence part. I have certainly done it for other Leaders.

Peter Andrews ESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Russ Dyble
    Thanks
    Anyone can countersign (the form asks for their membership no.)
    In an ideal world, GSL would have put time aside to respond to this knowing that you'd planned this, but I would suggest a work-around.
    He will still need to countersign the line manager section of the AA form, but can do this without seeing the individual.
    I am assuming that he knows / has met these people - as he is effectively recommending them for a role?
    Russ

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingst View Post
    Following on from the success of our first outdoor Beaver camp earlier this year, we decided to hold a Big Adventure summer camp for Beavers and parents. Take up has been fantastic and here lies the problem. Our GSL is insistent that the evidence for identity checks for all OH CRB applications can only be validated by him. Not a problem you may think but it has proven to be so.

Our GSL doesn’t see us every week and understandably some of our parents have refused to hand over their driving licence / passport into my care until he has seen them.

So my question arises purely out of bone idleness into researching POR. Is he right or can I as a section leader validate their identity?
    the gsl is perfectly entitled to insist that all OH applications go through him.

do they need to be done by him? no. can they be done by a section leader? yes.

i do think that your gsl is being somewhat unreasonable by insisting he does the id checks and yet doesn't seem to want to make himself readily available.

talk to him and see if you can reach a more workable arrangement.

if he insists on the procedure he has prescribed then that's what you should do.

hand out the OH forms. arrange a date for their return. ask the gsl to attend on that date to check id and sign them off.

if the gsl won't attend on a convenient date then tell them what effect that will have on your future participation on camps/activities where adult/parent/OH support is vital.

my gsl doesn't mind who checks ids, him or section leaders are okay. all that he insists on is that he's told of OH applications. but then my gsl is a great guy!

cordially yours, TM

Thanks
    The GSL is of course aware and very supportive of the camp, unfortunately he can't join us every week due to work commitments. He did suggest that all the parents who wished to have their forms validated should attend a meeting when he will be there, easier said than done though I'm afraid and quite frankly it hasn't happened.

As for recommending them for the role, well, there again most are not intending to take a role but are completing the form so that they may attend camp. He certainly hasn't met all of them.

Please believe, I'm not trying to usurp his powers, merely trying to find a workable solution.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingst View Post
    The GSL is of course aware and very supportive of the camp, unfortunately he can't join us every week due to work commitments. He did suggest that all the parents who wished to have their forms validated should attend a meeting when he will be there, easier said than done though I'm afraid and quite frankly it hasn't happened.

As for recommending them for the role, well, there again most are not intending to take a role but are completing the form so that they may attend camp. He certainly hasn't met all of them.

Please believe, I'm not trying to usurp his powers, merely trying to find a workable solution.
    Gingst,

If I as a GSL insist on a method of operation, then it is incumbent upon me to make it work. Take what you will from that.

All CRBs come through me, but they are often checked by others first. Is that possibly your solution?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Thank you for your time gentlemen. You've satisfied me that there probably isn't such a rule and I'll now reseach POR to that effect.

I'm sure that my GSL has merely misunderstood the system.

Thanks
    A scout is to be trusted.

Your GSL should allow the leaders to check the IDs

Make life easier.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Your GSL is doing what they feel best, and they can do that, but in an ideal world it would make sense that all section leaders, BSL/CSL/SL could at least do IDs.

May be worth speaking to GSL to fins out what nights they can do and then tell parents what nights to bring ID down on.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    I allow section leaders to check the id of parents of YP in their section returning OH forms. The forms then come to me to pass onto district. Works for us.
    Simba (my daughter wouldn't let me be Rafiki, and now she's a Network Scout & ABSL)
    ABSL
    Birstall Scout Group
    West Yorkshire

Thanks
    We work a very similar system. Section leaders check ID, forms go to GSL (who usefully checks we haven't filled them in wrong) and then onto district.

Keeps GSL in the loop, and keeps the system moving speedily.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TudorSN View Post
    Anyone can countersign (the form asks for their membership no.)
    In an ideal world, GSL would have put time aside to respond to this knowing that you'd planned this, but I would suggest a work-around.
    He will still need to countersign the line manager section of the AA form, but can do this without seeing the individual.
    I am assuming that he knows / has met these people - as he is effectively recommending them for a role?
    Russ
    Just to point out that the Occasional Helper form does not have a line manager approval section on it.

I'd agree with the approach others have mentioned.
    Scout Active Support Member & Webmaster
    Deep Sea Scouts National SASU

Membership Data & Engagement Support Manager
    Merseyside County Scouts

Webmaster
    St. Helens Scout District - 1st Whiston Scout Group - 1st Kirkby Scout Group

Tawd Vale Active Support Unit
    Tawd Vale Scout Camp

Thanks
    Having admittedly only skimmed POR for clarity on this issue, does a parent actually need an OH application for a one off camp ?

Thanks
    If they are there overnight then yes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary Monster View Post
    If they are there overnight then yes.
    Or if they are likely to have any unsupervised contact with the YP - which on camp is frankly difficult to avoid.
    Scout Active Support Member & Webmaster
    Deep Sea Scouts National SASU

Membership Data & Engagement Support Manager
    Merseyside County Scouts

Webmaster
    St. Helens Scout District - 1st Whiston Scout Group - 1st Kirkby Scout Group

Tawd Vale Active Support Unit
    Tawd Vale Scout Camp