This Site Uses Cookies. Please Click Here to view our Cookie Policy
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 140
  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    573
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 83 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooders View Post
    I thought the issue was that Apple charge to sell an App through the Appstore rather than the development costs.
    In that case, that's definitely mis-information! From experience (with the thing in my signature), the ONLY costs are the 60 annual license (and a mac if you don't have one - bit more apple-lockdown!).

    There is no further cost to have apps on the iTunes (or android) store, whether or not they're free. Android takes 30% of sales, iTunes take a bit more (a 1.49 app leaves the developer with 91p). There are no other costs. Free apps are totally free to develop (except the 60 - but I think TSA could have afforded that!).

  2. #62
    Senior Member big chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,673
    Thanks
    1,053
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 902 Posts
    i suspect that the SA were approached by a company who offered to build the app for them...

    there is probably a deal in place which meant that the SA did not take a financial risk but also means that the company takes a wedge of profit in exchange for the risk...

    this is only a guess based on what seems to be standard practice for app development

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    573
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 83 Times in 36 Posts
    ...which makes them turning down my totally free, and risk-free, offer even stranger!

    (And yes, the T&Cs of android and iphone include some unlimited financial liability clauses that make it hard for legally astute companies to sign up to)

  4. #64
    Senior Member Gooders's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,412
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EdJellard View Post
    In that case, that's definitely mis-information! From experience (with the thing in my signature), the ONLY costs are the 60 annual license (and a mac if you don't have one - bit more apple-lockdown!).

    There is no further cost to have apps on the iTunes (or android) store, whether or not they're free. Android takes 30% of sales, iTunes take a bit more (a 1.49 app leaves the developer with 91p). There are no other costs. Free apps are totally free to develop (except the 60 - but I think TSA could have afforded that!).
    Your knowledge in this area is greater than mine Ed. I stand corrected.

    Stephen

  5. #65
    Moderator jshirra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Darlington
    Posts
    3,792
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 53 Times in 7 Posts
    My understanding was it was developed by an external company

    Thus I would hazard a guess that it was a choice of paying up front x, or changing per download...

    Ed, they had probably already entered an agreement with the company before your app was developed...they may have been worried about the quality of the coding/consistency with the iPhone app...

  6. #66
    Senior Member roger-uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,300
    Thanks
    1,202
    Thanked 759 Times in 458 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EdJellard View Post
    ...which makes them turning down my totally free, and risk-free, offer even stranger!

    (And yes, the T&Cs of android and iphone include some unlimited financial liability clauses that make it hard for legally astute companies to sign up to)
    Ed

    its has no more information than yours did - it just looks prettier which you said you were doing before suspending it - still 1.49 won't break me but the wait was annoying.

    Anybody using it on an HTC Wildfire [Not S] just standard wildfire?

    ------ Update --- The Following was Added within 30 Minutes of the above ---

    Quote Originally Posted by jshirra View Post
    My understanding was it was developed by an external company

    Thus I would hazard a guess that it was a choice of paying up front x, or changing per download...

    Ed, they had probably already entered an agreement with the company before your app was developed...they may have been worried about the quality of the coding/consistency with the iPhone app...
    You are jesting aren't you. What an oxymoron quality and TSA IT
    Roger Woods
    Cub Scout Leader, Pegasus Pack,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton
    www.sawley-scouts.org.uk

    NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    Radio amateur (G8XAN)

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    573
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 83 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jshirra View Post
    Ed, they had probably already entered an agreement with the company before your app was developed...they may have been worried about the quality of the coding/consistency with the iPhone app...
    My app was developed the day after the iPhone app came out - so unless the company is really really really slow, I doubt it was that! AP&PS (the people who are distributing this) as far as I can see is two scout leaders who developed one android attendance register app - I don't think they're a company. Smoke and mirrors!

    its has no more information than yours did - it just looks prettier which you said you were doing before suspending it - still 1.49 won't break me but the wait was annoying.
    Agreed - mine was literally the product of one evening's work as a proof of concept and then I couldn't be bothered to pretty it up - it served me (and you) well for a year. I would obviously have prettied it up if it was going to go beyond the two of us!

  8. #68
    ADC Mallah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,764
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 158 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-uk View Post
    Anybody using it on an HTC Wildfire [Not S] just standard wildfire?
    I'm using it on a standard HTC Desire not the S and it works fine. As it should as there doesn't seem to be anything fancy about it.

    He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

  9. #69
    Group Dogs Body m.r.smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lincoln, UK - Originally Cambridge, Newmarket and Ely
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    At first glance the paid app looks nigh on identical to the other .apk. The menu us at the bottom and the badges are upto date other then that they look the same.

    very similar welcome screen also.

    still, 1.50 isn't going to break the bank and it should always be current.

    Im happy with my purchase... for now!

    Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
    Mark Smith
    Scout Leader



    21st Lincoln (Bracebridge Heath)

  10. #70
    Senior Member Smartiepants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Rugby
    Posts
    1,228
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 99 Times in 59 Posts
    Found it, but you need a credit card to buy (which I don't have)


    Anastasia

    Deputy County Commissioner (Development) Warwickshire


  11. #71
    Escouts Management Daniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    3,232
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 44 Times in 22 Posts
    It doesn't have to be a credit card, a debit card would still be fine.
    Daniel

    Explorer Scout Leader | Group Trustee
    4th Huddersfield Golcar Scout Group
    4thgolcar.org.uk
    District Media Development Manager
    Huddersfield South West
    hswscouts.org.uk



  12. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK 2015 for the BB app then....

  13. #73
    ADC Mallah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,764
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 158 Times in 123 Posts
    You can also pay via your service provider.

    He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,926
    Thanks
    1,614
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 692 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m.r.smith View Post
    At first glance the paid app looks nigh on identical to the other .apk. The menu us at the bottom and the badges are upto date other then that they look the same.

    very similar welcome screen also.

    still, 1.50 isn't going to break the bank and it should always be current.

    Im happy with my purchase... for now!
    Only issue I have with it is that it's huge because of all the images. Fortunately (with a hack I have on my phone that forces practically every app to move, at least) it was happy to move all the baggage to the SD card.

    Neil

  15. #75
    Group Scout Leader derekchambers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Muswell Hill, London
    Posts
    1,919
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Does the app actually exist then as I can't find it?
    Derek Chambers,

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-03-2012, 12:02 AM
  2. Android Badge App Is Finally on its way
    By phillip in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20-02-2012, 06:47 PM
  3. [Answered] Android Badge App
    By Mallah in forum UK Chief Commissioner Questions (OPEN FOR QUESTIONS)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 03:30 PM
  4. [Answered] Badge software for the Android phones
    By roger-uk in forum UK Chief Commissioner Questions (OPEN FOR QUESTIONS)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 08:31 AM
  5. GPS phones
    By jarrad in forum Hardware & Software Reviews
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 06:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •