Thread: Ipads in schools

Thanks

Ipads in schools

A local secondary school has just issued ALL students with their own Ipad.

Apart from a lovely present from the school, what are they going to be used for apart from playing games.

Does anyones kids have these in their school and what have they been used for?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_ASL View Post
    A local secondary school has just issued ALL students with their own Ipad.

Apart from a lovely present from the school, what are they going to be used for apart from playing games.

Does anyones kids have these in their school and what have they been used for?
    That probably says more about what you would use it for than todays school kids. Yes it's an extrordinary extravagence in this day and age (is it a private school by any chance - if so the parents will have paid somewhere along the line) But you'll probably find there are requirements to submit homework to the schools servers using it and vice versa for info.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    My sons Primary school gave all the year 6's an IPAD last year , i believe they were the first primary to do so in england. It worked quite well and they had a 3 hits and its given back rule for misuse. They had the book the class was reading on it and he had to research stuff on it. The biggest problem was trying to stop his older siblings messing about with it.

ACSL
    Thanks
    I know that the geography department at my college has iPads, which is utterly pointless as none of the teachers seem to know how to use it. I don't even think they asked for it.

You really would think that at the moment, with all the spending cuts and what not, that schools would have better things to spend money on, or is that just too much common sense?
    Jamie
    ACSL - 16th Lancaster Scout Group

Thanks
    I went to one of the first new schools opened as part of the building schools for the future programme. The policy of the school was to provide each student with a laptop that would be kept and charged in our lockers. After about 4 years they switched to giving everyone PDA's instead because of funding issues.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike142sl View Post
    That probably says more about what you would use it for than todays school kids.

Disagree- thats all they use it for.

Yes it's an extrordinary extravagence in this day and age (is it a private school by any chance -

No- Public school

Thanks
    It all depends if the person/s managing the "project" know what they are doing, and fully buy into it.

There's a School in Scotland called Cedars School for Excellence who were one of the first in the world to try this. Their IT guy has a blog http://speirs.org/ where he's documented what they've done, and why.

The general gist of it is that it's cheaper (and in their opinion better) to deploy iPads to the students rather than Laptops. It's cheaper because they get the iPads direct from Apple, with educational discounts, without having to deal with those IT outsourcing companies that schools usually use (they are a private school so can ignore State School policies about using such companies).

They feel that it's better because, with the exception of Computer Science classes where the point is to use/learn about an actual computer, everything else can be done on an iPad. Plus, tech support is simple. Because iPads are by their nature fairly locked down, the pupils have to go out of their way to trash the software. But if they do, it can be fixed within 20mins by restoring from backup. As anyone who's done tech support for friends and family can attest, it's very easy to *accidentally* screw up the software on a laptop, nevermind if you have a user who is going out of their way.

If you've got more than a passing interest in this, I suggest that you have a read through his blog as it's quite interesting.
    CSL 1st Marple Bradshaw Cubs

Offshore sailing geek dannyweaver's Avatar
    Long Eaton, Derbyshire, East Midlands (I'm not a northerner)
    Thanks
    How on earth do they afford it? All I hear from a couple of friends who are teachers is about how little money there is!
    Dan Weaver
    Volunteer skipper & webmaster: Adventures Offshore [facebook] [twitter] [youtube]
    All posts are made in a personal capacity & any views expressed are not intended to represent those of the organisations I am affiliated with

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyweaver View Post
    How on earth do they afford it? All I hear from a couple of friends who are teachers is about how little money there is!
    I would imagine that Apple or one of their educational partners have bought a job lot to sell to schools at a good price.

Think if the school hands them out and the kids and parents like them when the time comes to hand it in they may go out and buy one at full cost.

You have to remember too that things like these at full price are over priced to start with. Think software - there are some great pieces of software out there that to most of us are very expensive - but if you are in education as as a teacher/tutor or full time student you can get it as an educational title which is exactly the same but you have to do it direct and provide proof of eligibility and some titels are as little as 25% of the version available in the shops.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyweaver View Post
    Public School, so fees go into the school and most probably paid for it. So it's not really a 'present' as fees would of gone towards it.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb123 View Post
    I would imagine that Apple or one of their educational partners have bought a job lot to sell to schools at a good price.

Think if the school hands them out and the kids and parents like them when the time comes to hand it in they may go out and buy one at full cost.

You have to remember too that things like these at full price are over priced to start with. Think software - there are some great pieces of software out there that to most of us are very expensive - but if you are in education as as a teacher/tutor or full time student you can get it as an educational title which is exactly the same but you have to do it direct and provide proof of eligibility and some titels are as little as 25% of the version available in the shops.
    Take a look at Software 4 Students to see the price differential, particularly with things like Microsoft Office!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marcush View Post
    Public School, so fees go into the school and most probably paid for it. So it's not really a 'present' as fees would of gone towards it.
    I thought that, but it has been noted further up this thread that it isn't just this sector.

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Thanks
    There's some of that, but Public Schools are still price sensitive. It's because the overall package works out cheaper. The individual unit cost is slightly higher (although the substantial educational discounts they get mean it's only slightly higher), but there are virtually no on going maintenance and support costs for the iPads. Where as with Laptops, most Schools don't go down to PC World (or where ever) and buy a job lot of the cheapest deal the store manager will do them, they buy them from Educational IT companies such as RM who charge ongoing support and maintenance fees, pushing up the overall price.
    CSL 1st Marple Bradshaw Cubs

Thanks
    When you compare most software to open source alternatives they usually win on both price and usability!

Can't really get on with M$ office since they got this fancy new interface (its just made me learn more keyboard shortcuts to avoid searching for what i want to do)
    I have no problem with open/libre office on the other hand.
    (then again if it's just a bit of text with no formatting needed gedit or vim win ever time)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_ASL View Post
    No- Public school
    a public school is in the private.....

oh forget it!

cordially yours, TM

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

'....may have gone towards it'

TM
    Last edited by merryweather; 19-09-2011 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Merged Double Post