Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 volunteers

Thanks

2012 volunteers

I know there are some other 2012 volunteers on here. Who has been made an offer? and for olympics or paralympics?

Had an offer from the olympics, waiting on the paralympics.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marcush View Post
    I know there are some other 2012 volunteers on here. Who has been made an offer? and for olympics or paralympics?

Had an offer from the olympics, waiting on the paralympics.
    Congratulations! you're in the accreditation team aren't you? at least you didn't have to wait too long after your interview to hear, what venue will you be at?
    Last edited by BillyBeaver; 07-10-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling!

Thanks
    thanks and indeed I am, and I'll be at ExCel.

Thanks
    Got a place on event service team at the olympic stadium, for the olympics.
    Alex Hampson

Scout Leader
    9th Farnborough Scout Group

www.9thfarnboroughscoutgroup.org.uk

It's true we don't know what we've got until its gone, but we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Thanks
    So by "volunteer", you essentially mean working for free. If you're not being paid, why did you decided to go for it? Does it mean you get to see the event you're volunteering for for free?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by charl_ie View Post
    So by "volunteer", you essentially mean working for free. If you're not being paid, why did you decided to go for it? Does it mean you get to see the event you're volunteering for for free?
    yes. Because it's a once in a lifetime oppurtunity to do and it looks fun to do. You are garrentees to see any events.

Thanks
    For the same reason why I volunteer in the Scouts, its something I am passionate about (it was always my dream to be at an Olympics), I enjoy volunteering in general and I enjoy volunteering at sporting events (although of course this will be the biggest sporting event I have been involved in).

Its been made clear from the start that depending on what role you are doing and at what venue you are at there is a very good chance that you will only see a little if any of the sporting action, many volunteers will be based well away from the action. We don't get free tickets to events. We get free transport around London, a free meal each day and a uniform we can keep, but just as being a volunteer in the scouts I dont do it for the material things, I do it because I love it, I do it because it makes me feel good that I'm a part of something and for many other reasons and not least because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by aldamaster View Post
    Got a place on event service team at the olympic stadium, for the olympics.
    me too and I'm so happy as that was where I really wanted to be
    Last edited by BillyBeaver; 07-10-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Merged Double Post

Thanks
    Firstly, I do apologise that I couldn't word my first post less aggressively - I'm not massively articulate at times. I'm genuinely interested in the thought process behind your decision.

Like all of you, I do a lot of volunteering, not just with scouts, but with backstage theatre. I really enjoy this, and the atmosphere were everyone is giving their time freely is great. However, when some people are being paid, I think the situation is somewhat different. It's a large problem in the backstage industry, where people are "expected" to work for free in order to progress onto bigger things. Given that, apart from "being involved", this olympic opportunity to me doesn't seem to offer much benefit, I wonder why people do it, and I think the people organising the olympics are doing everyone a great dis-service by not paying people to work.

I would certainly stop scouting if Akela was taking a wage and I wasn't. I don't give my time freely to theatre productions where I would work alongside professionals, unless it was clearly a training opportunity and they weren't just taking advantage of free labour.

These are just my thoughts. I sincerely hope you have a wonderful time, and I'm sure it will be fantastic. It just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, not from you who are volunteering, but from the people who are taking advantage of free labour in positions I feel should be paid.

Thanks
    Firstly, I do apologise that I couldn't word my first post less aggressively - I'm not massively articulate at times. I'm genuinely interested in the thought process behind your decision.

Like all of you, I do a lot of volunteering, not just with scouts, but with backstage theatre. I really enjoy this, and the atmosphere were everyone is giving their time freely is great. However, when some people are being paid, I think the situation is somewhat different. It's a large problem in the backstage industry, where people are "expected" to work for free in order to progress onto bigger things. Given that, apart from "being involved", this olympic opportunity to me doesn't seem to offer much benefit, I wonder why people do it, and I think the people organising the olympics are doing everyone a great dis-service by not paying people to work.

I would certainly stop scouting if Akela was taking a wage and I wasn't. I don't give my time freely to theatre productions where I would work alongside professionals, unless it was clearly a training opportunity and they weren't just taking advantage of free labour.

These are just my thoughts. I sincerely hope you have a wonderful time, and I'm sure it will be fantastic. It just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, not from you who are volunteering, but from the people who are taking advantage of free labour in positions I feel should be paid.
    It may not lead to better things directly. But volunteering could help inth e future and having something different like the olympics can make you stand out and can actually help you get where you want in the future.

Thanks
    I still havent heard... and need to hear so i can plan next years holiday!
    I bat for both teams...
    Yes, i'm bi... organisational!

Thanks

At the time of applying i didn't know what i would be doing in septmber, i had applied to uni and applied to a scheme where you work and study for a degree at the same time.

In the end i picked the work and study route which is now causing a slight problem as although i work for a fantastic employer who do treat their employees very well (can't really mention the name) they aren't 100% sure whether they can support me having probably around 2 extra weeks off work, so at the moment it looks as if i will have to use my holiday to take part which isn't ideal but i still think it will be a great opportunity and look good on the CV as a bonus.

Had i been at uni it would have been a nice way as well to fill some of those long holidays they have!!!
    Alex Hampson

Scout Leader
    9th Farnborough Scout Group

www.9thfarnboroughscoutgroup.org.uk

It's true we don't know what we've got until its gone, but we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives

There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Thanks
    I do a lot of volunteering within sport all the time and that involves working alongside paid staff on a regular basis. There are many reason why you may need a mixture of paid and volunteer staff:
    • Time - there is only so much a volunteer can be expected to do. Organising the Olympics need full time staff simply due to the scale of the event.
    • Skills - some skills are essential and if you don't have them you can't do stuff. If you can't get volunteers with the right skills you have no choice but to pay someone.
    • Nasty jobs - if there's something volunteers won't do (cleaning the toilets potentially) you might have to pay someone.

So if it is accepted that some people have to be paid why not everyone? That is an easy answer - money. It will take many, many people a large number of hours to put on an event the size of the olympics. If you had to pay everyone who was involved it would be too expensive to consider. So the event can't run without volunteers.

Why did I apply?
    • To be part of the event. It is almost certainly a once in a lifetime opportunity to part of the Olympic games in London.
    • To be part of the achievement of our successful athletes. I like to think that by volunteering on a regular basis I'm contributing just a tiny, little bit to the journey athletes make to the podium.
    • It's a level of competition I haven't been involved in before. I've been involved every level from a very first competition right up to British Championships and the Olympics would be one step further. It's new, a challenge and that's worth it in it's own right.

I can't think of a much more exciting place to spend two weeks of my annual leave than in the Olympic Park. Now I just have to wait and see if I'm lucky enough to be allowed in.

Thanks
    Chris, you make some excellent points, and I completely agree with you on all but one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lambert View Post
    So if it is accepted that some people have to be paid why not everyone? That is an easy answer - money. It will take many, many people a large number of hours to put on an event the size of the olympics. If you had to pay everyone who was involved it would be too expensive to consider. So the event can't run without volunteers.
    In my opinion, if a commercial event can't run without volunteers then it's financially unsound. From a business perspective, if I couldn't produce my [clothes/coal/computers/whatever] without relying on free labour then my company is not viable, and should be shut down. I fail to see how we can't apply that to live events. See also this, and the outcome.

I do sincerely wish you all the best, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Thanks
    Charlie do you realise how much more it'd cost to pay 70,000 volunteers if they where paid?

Thanks
    £17 024 000 assuming they work minimum wage for one standard 40 hour work week. And that's a lot of money. But I don't see how that detracts from the fact that a commercial venture relying on free labour is financially unsound. I believe there is some debate over the legality of it (read the articles I linked to above for more info).

For comparison, if all 70 000 volunteers work a 40 hour week for 4 weeks, it would cost under 1% of the budget of the olympic games (~0.75%). Reading about a bit suggests that the government would like to make a profit from the games (citation needed, however).