Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thescoutgroup.org

Thanks

thescoutgroup.org

Anyone using it or know any more than the advert in Scouting?
    Russell Corrie
    AGSL 1st Southgate
    http://www.srfexplorers.org.uk

"the future's bright, the future's scouting" Tarquin Merryweather

Thanks

thescoutgroup.org

i have registered with it just to see the advantages, it certainly useful for membership fees but also allows parents to keep personnel info and medical details up to date. There are a few things that need tweaking with the site and I have been in contact awaiting their reply.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
    I hope the site is damn secure and appropriate safeguards are taken if it is going to be used to store medical info of any sort

Peter Andrews AESL of Headingley Pirates ESU, Group Scout Leader & Webmaster of Falkoner Scout Group
    www.falkonerscouts.org.uk

Previous Scouting Roles
    2003 - 2013 ABSL
    2017-2018 AGSL

Wike, North Leeds District Campsite - www.wikecampsite.org.uk
    www.leeds-solar.co.uk
    Please note all views expressed are my own and not those of any organisation I'm associated with

Thanks
    Hmm, it looks really good, but do we trust it?

Not me.

Thanks
    Mmmm

I look straight to the bottom line.

Free to set up but they take 5% of all payments made on line.

And the Gift aid payments

That would be over £650 for us

Buys quite a bit of gear and quite a bit of hosting/support for our own site.

Plus the payment cycle isn't great - 5 days after the close of the previous
    month so it could be almost 6 weeks in some cases before you see the cash.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

General Dogsbody
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTregartha View Post
    Mmmm

I look straight to the bottom line.

Free to set up but they take 5% of all payments made on line.

And the Gift aid payments

That would be over £650 for us

Buys quite a bit of gear and quite a bit of hosting/support for our own site.

Plus the payment cycle isn't great - 5 days after the close of the previous
    month so it could be almost 6 weeks in some cases before you see the cash.
    As far as I can see they don't take the Gift Aid, just 5% of it if you ask them to reclaim the gift aid for you. You're still free to reclaim it yourself so that you don't have to pay them for GA at all if you don't want to.

Having a look at it now but doubt I'll get it past my higher-ups for Scouts and Cubs. Handy for Explorers tho and I'm in charge of that

Thanks
    I meant 5% of the gift aid

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,586 Posts
    Does it offer anything you can't do on your own site?
    Does it offer you added value?

If not?
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks

Smile thescoutgroup.org

Hi. I'm group leader of 1st Whitchurch Scouts and we were part of the pilot study for thescoutgroup.org service.

I should declare that as a shareholder in Source Software Ltd, I have a personal interest in thescoutgroup.org, but hopefully I can lend some perspective to the discussion above.

I'd start by saying that @Bushfella hit the nail on the head... If you already have an online payment facility, then you have no need for thescoutgroup.org's service and I wouldn't try to persuade you otherwise. However thescoutgroup.org is more than a payment portal. It holds membership records, and medical and emergency details/contact info, and the payment portal talks to the database, so at a glance you can see who and who has not paid. The self service membership records, and option to pay on line has been very well received by members' parents.... and after all... it is they who pay the 5% service fee if you opt to add it to your subscription total.

@Lynn-cubs: Regarding the question of trust... Source Software Ltd, the parent company, has been handling payments for the largest insurance companies in the UK for over 15 years. It is regulated by the Financial Services Authority (with whom they have a spotless record). Scout Group funds are held in a trustee account until transferred to each client Scout Group's nominated bank account in their monthly payment run.

@Shiftypete: Regarding security... the member data on the site is behind highly secure firewalls and the company is totally compliant with the Data Protection Act.

Finally, @DonTregartha: regarding Gift Aid... the Gift Aid application processing service is an option thescoutgroup.org offers only on request. If this service is not explicitly requested by any group using thescoutgroup.org to facilitate online subs payments, then they will assume that the group wishes to handle their own Gift Aid application and won't get involved. Obviously if they don't provide the Gift Aid application service, then they don't charge the fee for it.

If anyone would like any more information, just let me know.
    Best regards.
    Mal

Thanks
    Thanks Mal for the information and your honesty, may I just ask a question about your shareholding, without meaning to be intrusive I wonder if you could clarify if you saw this company and invested or are a major investor and part of the borad.
    This is just for clarity and I fully understand if you wish to answer "none of your business"

Thanks
    Russell Corrie
    AGSL 1st Southgate
    http://www.srfexplorers.org.uk

"the future's bright, the future's scouting" Tarquin Merryweather

Thanks
    Honest straightforward answer.

Its just my probable costs would buy me a lot of web services.

You get scores of Scout webmasters on here moaning about paying ANYTHING a year for hosting.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    i never saw the advert for this. what it is about
    Derek Chambers,

Thanks
    I registered last week. Looks interesting and should make my life easier. :0)
    Simon G Morley JP
    CSL & AGSL 3rd Padiham St John's
    National headquarters Volunteer (F&B Team)
    Vice Chair National Catholic Scout Fellowship
    www.padihamscouting.org.uk

Thanks
    Hi,

I have been a member of justgiving.com which for us has been great. At a glance we can see who has paid and who hasn't and they handle all our gift aid for us - the down side is the admin charge each month they take plus the admin charge on each payment.

When I saw this I thought great a solution which is a bit cheaper than justgiving.com. Some questions though after signing up and playing around with it, can anybody on here help:

The first is nobody seems to be able to give answers to the most basic of questions i.e. I asked them by phone the other day can i just send an invoice to a select group of people? An easy question I thought but this then got passed to somebody else who then doesn't know as they don't deal with the software and someone will will get back to me... Is this possible or is blanket invoices only possible?

The payment link for parents also does not seem to lead anywhere but a page that does not work, worried - just slightly!

How do I retrieve a copy of all the invoices sent and when they were sent as evidence?

Can I download a report as a, Excel document or do I just have to view them on the screen?

After an invoice is created I can not seem to go back and either edit the invoice or delete it if there is a mistake, why not?

Just a few questions to start with...

Thanks
    I signed up in the hope that this would solve a number of payment issues for the Group.

I did some initial testing - and yes, it ranges from 'not very sophisicated' to 'blind faith needed' (due the lack of audit trails alluded to above).

Still, they fixed a showstopper problem quite quickly (regarding unnecessary passwords to edit member details) so my optimism increased. But they didn't tell me it had been fixed - it just started to work.

Having been playing for several weeks, I sent a (snail)mail to all parents who are now very pleased they can throw away their cheque books (!). But my optimism is waning again having discovered more glitches I can't work around. And the support from thescoutgroup.org is a bit sketchy. I appreciate that it's still early days for the service, but perhaps it really is too immature to risk the goodwill of parents and the Group's funds..

I really want this to work - for lots of reasons. But a feel another letter coming on.

Is there anyone out there to re-kindle my faith?