Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dietary Requirement!

Thanks

Dietary Requirement!

Hi Folks,

Looking for your pearls of advice!

A friend of mine is running a camp at the weekend. One of the health forms has the dietry requirment "no pork".

Is it fine to just presume that we can give the veggie options for stuff like sausages. Her concern was whether we're trying to immitate the food she doesn't eat.

Note that it says no pork, and does not specify a religous or other reason.

As an addition, does anybody have some exciting or different alternatives for vegitarians and/ or no pork people for breakfasts (negating the sausages and bacon is a task!) and hot dogs, without providing them with something that is COMPLETELY different to the rest of the group?

Isn't my area of a camp normally (I'm more into making things burn!) but I know a place that will know all the answers!

Thanks in advance!

Luke

Thanks
    Not knowing what the menu is I can see breakfast as being the main area where pork could possably be a problem so instead of pork sauages get some beef sauasges instead and instead of buying them just for one person buy them for everyone, that way you ensure that they don't get mixed up after cooking.

Unfortunately apart from vege bacon I don't think there is any other alternative.

If sauages are being used elsewhere in the menu why not try chicken ones as an alternative.

These options might mean a trip to the Butcher instead of the supermarked thou

Hope this helps
    Douglas Gowan
    CSL Basingstoke Air Scouts

Personal http://www.thescoutingpages.org.uk
    Group http://www.base2000.co.uk

1st Halton
    Thanks
    breakfast is easy, cereal or toast (you'd use bread for the bacon butty anyway), better yet, jam on toast (jam being an option for lunch in most cases)

Rather than presume, ask the parents and then look to see what you can get that can cater (no pun intended) for veggies/vegans and meat-eaters, alternatively get the parents to give you stuf the YP will eat then the YP has no excuse for not eating it as it's the same stuff they have at home.

Grey but not that old Alfbranch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Try talking to the YP/parents to find out what exactly the issue is.
    Alf

Group Scout leader 1st Hensingham Scouts Western Lakes District
    http://www.hensinghamscouts.org.uk/
    Knives made by me

Only use sharp knives. Blunt knives are more dangerous.

Thanks
    We used to eat an excellent salt beef alternative to bacon when I worked in Golders Green.
    Stephen Goodman

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my Group, District or any other organisation of which I am a member.

Thanks
    Find out why they dont eat pork - could be religious, could be another reason. Our family dont eat beef, never have and that was before BSE and CJD scares.

Quorn or meat free sausages are an option. Talk to a butcher see if they can provide alternatives to pork. Sausages dont have to be pork.
    Keith "Hawkeye"
    (Acting) Beaver Scout Section Leader (Woodbadge)
    Group Executive Committee Member
    Group Badge Secretary
    Group Web Manager
    Fundraising Co-ordinator - Group Family Camp 2018
    1st Ingleby Barwick (St Francis) Scout Group

https://www.inglebybarwickscouts.org.uk

WE NEED MORE ADULT VOLUNTEERS!
    Volunteer at 1st Ingleby Barwick Scout Group
    Section Leaders, Assistant Section Leaders, Sectional Assistants, Occasional Helpers, etc.

Yes, I've got the T-shirt Sparkgap's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just pork? If it was imitation I would have thought any sausages not just pork ones. Could be they are allergic to pork so would also check any other processed stuff for pork ingredients but recommend finding out from the parents exactly what the problem is.
    We have some vegetarians in the troop. Not a problem for fry-up breakfasts as we provide some veggy sausages as an alternative and they don't have to have the bacon, never had an issue with it. Did a backwoods camp a few years ago which had a couple of vegetarians so for the main meal I just provided the whole group with quorn pieces, plus proper vegetables (the sort you have to clean, scrape and cut up and extract from pods!) to make a stew with. It couldn't have been that bad as there was none left at the end. No complaints about the 'meat' either! For longer camps we usually have a veggy option for all meals (though I have seen a supposedly staunchly veggy PL at our BBQ tuck into a pork hot dog with the excuse that she'd 'pretend it's a veggy one' )
    Of more concern to us is the lad who needs a gluten-free diet, so we have to look out not only for the obvious stuff like bread but whether there is gluten in any of the other packet or tinned stuff we use. He came on a cycle camp last weekend with his dad who was assisting and has the same diet, and as we managed to get him to organise the food there were no issues!
    Andy
    SL 1st Wellington
    www.wellingtonscouts.org

Thanks
    Sliced cured mutton makes fantastic bacon substitute if you can get hold of it. Apparently it was popular in ww2 known as macon.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Don't overcomplicate things - no pork means no pork. Not hard to cater for. If you need to know more, ask the young person and their parents/carers.

Thanks
    We have two Scouts with this dietary requirement.

On the big adventure camp we replaced pork sausages with beef ones for them only (was too expensive to do all beef sausages for 50+ people). It wasn't that difficult as we didn't have a lot of pork in the menu anyway.
    Mike Jury
    Escouts Team
    Ecamp 2009
    Radio Amateur (M0MFF)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Thornton View Post
    Hi Folks,

Looking for your pearls of advice!

A friend of mine is running a camp at the weekend. One of the health forms has the dietry requirment "no pork".

Is it fine to just presume that we can give the veggie options for stuff like sausages. Her concern was whether we're trying to immitate the food she doesn't eat.

Note that it says no pork, and does not specify a religous or other reason.

As an addition, does anybody have some exciting or different alternatives for vegitarians and/ or no pork people for breakfasts (negating the sausages and bacon is a task!) and hot dogs, without providing them with something that is COMPLETELY different to the rest of the group?

Isn't my area of a camp normally (I'm more into making things burn!) but I know a place that will know all the answers!

Thanks in advance!

Luke
    Hi Luke

Without Knowing more about the reasoning behind the no pork reply it is difficult to give good advice, as others have said the parents need to be involved.

Some people are happy to just avoid pork. Some would also avoid any meat where the blood has not been removed and will eat only kosher or halal meat.
    If you go for the veggie option then that should be ok providing you ensure that the ingredients are kept away from the pork.

Again without knowing if you are cooking in patrols or if you a cooking centrally advice will be limited. We have developed ways of not making a drama out of different diets happy to share if you think it would help.

Y.I.S. Tony

OOps!! sorry everyone that should have been a 'post reply' not 'quote' its too early in the morning.
    Last edited by Tony Ransley; 27-10-2011 at 06:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Thornton View Post
    That one is often for religious reasons, and substituting is OK (but beware of things like beef sausages containing a bit of pork, for instance - though they do exist without, and we have used that option before). But the answer is ask the parent, as they will know the answer!

(This can be a common one with veggies - those who don't eat meat on principle are usually fine with Quorn etc, whereas those who don't eat meat because they don't like it often won't be).

Neil

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo Doug View Post
    Unfortunately apart from vege bacon I don't think there is any other alternative.
    You can get beef bacon (horrible!) and turkey bacon (OK but expensive).

Neil

----------------
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkgap View Post
    Of more concern to us is the lad who needs a gluten-free diet, so we have to look out not only for the obvious stuff like bread but whether there is gluten in any of the other packet or tinned stuff we use. He came on a cycle camp last weekend with his dad who was assisting and has the same diet, and as we managed to get him to organise the food there were no issues!
    That's another one worth asking about - some people are very sensitive and need separate utensils etc (so might well be better off self catering) and some (like me) have a level of tolerance so as long as you don't get anything with it on the ingredients you're OK.

If cooking fresh it's quite easy to avoid - substitute rice for pasta, check sauce packets/jars, use bacon instead of sausage[1] (and avoid some cheap hot-dogs), though you'll need special bread. (Gluten free versions of most things exist but tend to be expensive, the simple substitutes are usually easiest for a camp as then it's economic for everyone to have the same thing).

What would be more difficult is a gluten-intolerant vegetarian - almost all vegetarian "meat substitute" food contains wheat proteins.

[1] German sausage, if you can get that, never contains gluten, nor do those Mattessons smoked sausages. The Germans wouldn't allow something other than meat in their sausages!

Neil

----------------
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Quorn or meat free sausages are an option. Talk to a butcher see if they can provide alternatives to pork. Sausages dont have to be pork.
    Tesco sell beef sausages as a matter of course, as well as turkey bacon.

Neil
    Last edited by Neil Williams; 27-10-2011 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Merged Double Post

Thanks
    Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,586 Posts
    Oh dear.

This sounds, all too familiar.

Ask the parent what she wants her child to have, then buy it for them.

Mind you, that didn't work for us as it turned out as every time we said we'll get him that, it wasn't good enough...

More may follow on this later, if we survive!
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    For Bacon use Turkey Rashers

ASL, 81st St Bartholomews (South Belfast)

CEOP Ambassador
    Belfast County Safeguarding Awarness Co-ordinator
    Northern Ireland Scouts Core Team Member

Camp 2008/09

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Thanks
    Baked beans and hash browns for breakfast with scrambled egg?