Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer camp 2012

Thanks

Summer camp 2012

Last night I alas had to pull the plug on our proposed summer camp to Switzerland next year, essentially not enough kids signed up. Today is the deadline for confirming our flights and any further delay would make it more expensive. Currently I only have 13 out of 35 signed up which is not enough to make it viable either financially or in terms of leader commitment for that small a proportion of the troop. Main reasons for low numbers was either cost (we’d costed it at £550) and for the younger ones a feeling from parents that it was just a bit too much for a 10 or 11 year old.

Anyway, I am not easily deterred!

We will still be having a summer camp and for the first time since I’ve been running the troop we’ll be going on summer camp without our cubs or beavers in tow so we are looking at trying to do something a bit more adventurous but probably within the UK. We’re thinking of places like Lake District, Northumberland, Scottish Highlands etc. Somewhere a bit more remote and where we can do some proper rock climbing canoeing sailing etc.

So I was wondering what places folks would suggest?

Thanks
    Come to the Isle of Man, great for a Scout Camp. Lots to do for a week.

We are off narrowboating for our 2012 Camp. We originally booked 2 barges with a total of 24 spaces. I printed out the Leaflets and set up a page on our website with information and emailed the Cubs and Scouts about the trip. I didn't even get chance to give out the leaflets, all places were taken within 48 hours. We have now booked another barge to take those who went onto areserve list.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CambridgeSkip View Post
    Last night I alas had to pull the plug on our proposed summer camp to Switzerland next year, essentially not enough kids signed up. Today is the deadline for confirming our flights and any further delay would make it more expensive. Currently I only have 13 out of 35 signed up which is not enough to make it viable either financially or in terms of leader commitment for that small a proportion of the troop. Main reasons for low numbers was either cost (we’d costed it at £550) and for the younger ones a feeling from parents that it was just a bit too much for a 10 or 11 year old.
    We ended up pulling a Kandersteg trip for this year for a very similar reason with very similar numbers. So far as we could conclude it was two factors - the dates not working (it was a winter trip in Feb half term) and the cost, both due to the financial climate and due to the current super-expensiveness of Switzerland because of the extremely poor exchange rate.

Neil

Thanks
    Why don't you bring them to the EI Jamboree?

Thanks

Thanks
    Isle of Man is brill!! went there last year for our family hols. Loads of beaches, walks, mountains.....except we got drenched on Snafell!! and the seals at the calf are great. Plus railways, glens, tea shops!!
    I think there are a couple of activity centres too

Thanks
    Why not open it up to other members of the district?

Our district frequently organises trips to kandesteg, germany ect

Thanks
    Cheers for the comments folks.

We did think about opening it up to the district but the problem is that we wouldn't have enough resource to run a seperate summer camp for the rest of the troop left behind. At the end of the day while we run a good thursday ngiht programme the kids really come to scouts for the camps and we want to make our centre piece of the year as inclusive as possible.

It's looking like we're going to head to Hawkhirst in Northumberland instead, last week in August. Only concern is that I understand it has a bit of a reputation for midges. Has anyone else been? How did you find them in comparison say to Scottish Highland midges?

Thanks
    How did you find them in comparison say to Scottish Highland midges?
    They find you I'm afraid

they arnt as large but they do require a lot of insect repellant to deter them , voracious for scouts too
    Bob Aspland DESC - Lilford District Greater Manchester West Scouts
    GMW Scouts County Hillwalking Assessor

Thanks
    try 'The Biblins' - Ross-on Wye - fantastic site

Thanks

Barging Around?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    ...We are off narrowboating for our 2012 Camp. We originally booked 2 barges...
    [Pedant] Barges are *usually* wide-beamed. Narrow boats (or narrow boats) are, well, *narrow*. [/Pedant]

Where's Dave Mayall, of the UKRS Parish of old, when we need him?
    MatSav

GSL 10th Feltham, Nights Away Adviser
    "Three Into One Will Go!"
    Thameside Grand Union District
    Scouting Throughout the London Borough of Hounslow
    in the Districts formerly known as Feltham, ABC, and H&I

Thanks
    Midges at Hawkhirst are not fun. The on-site shop does a roaring trade in masks/veils and repellents, but you will probably still return looking like a chicken-pox sufferer.

The site was great, plenty of wood if you have a need for it, instructors capable and friendly. Scope for walking in the vicinity.

But the midges would seriously discourage me from a return in the summer.

Thanks
    Went once to Hawkhirst, about 15 years ago, only stayed the night, as it was part of a hiking expedition. The midges were terrible and I felt really sorry for the Scouts who were camping for a week. It's a great looking site in a wonderful location but is blighted by the midges. If it's windy you won't have a problem. I suppose it's the luck of the draw whether you will have a problem or not.

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Last night I alas had to pull the plug on our proposed summer camp to Switzerland next year,
    oh dear.

essentially not enough kids signed up. Today is the deadline for confirming our flights and any further delay would make it more expensive. Currently I only have 13 out of 35 signed up which is not enough to make it viable either financially or in terms of leader commitment for that small a proportion of the troop.
    hope you didn't go too far down the planning route! i take it when you originally mentioned the idea there was enough wanting to go? did you not think of running a deposit system? might have avoided the hassle of getting the flights, &c.

Main reasons for low numbers was either cost (we’d costed it at £550) and for the younger ones a feeling from parents that it was just a bit too much for a 10 or 11 year old.
    i suspect you're right! that's a lot to pay out for some families especially if you're 'competing' against the family holiday.

an international trip i think can be good for all ages of scouts, however, a big one such as K early on in their troop lives can be seen as too much too soon.
    Anyway, I am not easily deterred!

We will still be having a summer camp and for the first time since I’ve been running the troop we’ll be going on summer camp without our cubs or beavers in tow
    i'd always choose to leave these behind.

so we are looking at trying to do something a bit more adventurous but probably within the UK. We’re thinking of places like Lake District, Northumberland, Scottish Highlands etc. Somewhere a bit more remote and where we can do some proper rock climbing canoeing sailing etc.
    got to remember that some places in the uk can be just as expensive as abroad!

the more activities run by those outside the troop the more it will cost. maybe you could be a bit selective on what you do? i find if you offer them a week of hiking, climbing, sailing, canoeing, &c - a full on experience! - that for some it's just too much. more quality experiences and fewer of them maybe?

So I was wondering what places folks would suggest?
    well if you want to keep down transport costs, i'd suggest maybe the highlands are not the place to go. what about wales? we went here last year http://www.oldschoollodge.org.uk/ not too costly. had to hire in some instructors for some things. and it didn't cost us even half of £550!

where would you like to go? where haven't you been to? could you do it expedition style, my lot next year are off on their bikes for a week.

cordially yours, TM

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

Cheers for the comments folks.

We did think about opening it up to the district but the problem is that we wouldn't have enough resource to run a separate summer camp for the rest of the troop left behind.
    eh!!!? you actually felt that you had to run a camp for those who didn't want to go abroad? how many choices do you want to give your scouts?

At the end of the day while we run a good thursday ngiht programme the kids really come to scouts for the camps and we want to make our centre piece of the year as inclusive as possible.
    so why choose something abroad which is probably going to be more challenging for everyone to join in? and especially in challenging economic times!

It's looking like we're going to head to Hawkhirst in Northumberland instead, last week in August. Only concern is that I understand it has a bit of a reputation for midges. Has anyone else been? How did you find them in comparison say to Scottish Highland midges?
    midges bite.

there are no differences wherever you go.

the highland midges do have a reputation for being hungrier though.

cordially yours, TM
    Last edited by merryweather; 24-11-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Merged Double Post

Thanks
    I don't know if you're fixed on Hawkhirst, but can thoroughly recommend Rydal Hall in the Lakes. It's not a Scout site, but is much quieter, less rocky, and far better placed than Great Tower - you can walk the Fairfield Horseshoe or Helvellyn from the site (if you have the authorisation), walk to Ambleside and well placed for activities around Coniston or on Windermere. A particular good point is a large stream with waterfall and pool that you can swim in.