Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Cub Games

Thanks

Favourite Cub Games

In an attempt to ring the changes a bit, I'm looking for some new games for my Cubs to play. Our main games are currently head/catch, Splat, the Helicopter game (beanbag swung round on rope) and most-requested of all, dodgeball. I'm sure they'd play it every week all meeting if they could! We do play others, but these are their favourites.

I have looked around POL and other sites for inspiration, but sometimes the ones that play best don't always read best. I'm looking for tried, tested and trusted favourites here. What should we all be playing? Which games would your Cubs happily play week-in, week-out? Thanks!
    Mike
    1st Wootton Cubs - Northampton

Thanks
    Two teams numbered 1-???,sit opposite, 3 circles( one at each end and one in the middle) and 3 cups. Shout a number out, the numbered cubs run to the middle and fetch a cup and place it in their home circle then run for the 2nd cup and get it back to their home circle. the team with two cups win! You are only aloud to carry 1 cup but you are aloud to take from the other teams circle (if they are quick).
    Then try with 4 teams but with 6 cups or beanbags.(3 beanbags/cups to win).teams need to be in each corner.

Carl CSL 4th Darwin Cubs
    ADC Cubs - Melton Mowbray and District

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.

1st Halton
    Thanks
    Ladders - Requires an even number of cubs (or a YL addition to make even teams)
    - Cubs are numbered off 1,2,3 etc
    - Cubs form 2 lines with each number lined up with it's match (1-1, 2-2 and so on)
    - Cubs sit facing each other with legs outstreched and feet touching (and hands WELL out of the way)
    - When a number is called, the corresponding pair of cubs run up to the end of the hall and back, first person to sit down wins
    - When a number is called that contains several numbers (123) each pair must get up and run
    - When a number is called that contains the same number repeated (111) that pair must run as many times as there number in that number (111 - 1 runs 3 times)

Train
    - Requires an even number of cubs (or a YL addition to make even teams)
    - Cubs are numbered off 1, 2, 1, 2 etc
    - Each number forms a line next to the other
    - Each member of that line is then numbered 1-8 (or more if needed)
    - A mode of transport is then shouted out and the YP with the number that matches the wheel count of that transport then runs up to the top of the hall and back:

1 - Unicycle
    2 - Bicycle
    3 - Trike
    4 - Car
    5 - Bike and Trike, Unicycle on top of a cycle, 2 bikes and a unicycle
    6 - Car and a bike, 2 Trikes, 6 Unicycles, bike, a trike and a unicycle
    7 - Car and a trike, 3 bikes and a unicycle
    8 - 2 Cars, 4 Bikes, 3 Trikes and a bike

- Whenever the word "TRAIN" is shouted, the whole team must run.

Tails
    - Cubs are divided into 2 teams
    - 1 team tuck thier neckers into thier waistbands and stand at 1 side of the hall
    - The opposing team stand in the middle of the hall
    - When a whistle is blown, the team with tails must get to the other side of the hall without losing their tails
    - Once all tails have been lost, the teams switch.

Thanks
    Steal - Two teams numbered off 1- 10 etc but facing 1 - 10, 2 - 9 , 3- 8 etc.
    and each team sits cross legged

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

bucket bucket bucket

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

When you call a number out they have to run and touch their bucket then run to the middle bucket (which starts with 5 tennis balls in)to take ONE tennis ball and place it in their bucket.
    They keep going till the first team gets THREE balls in their bucket.After each number replace all
    5 balls in the middle bucket. The secret is knowing when to steal a ball from the the other teams bucket.I go home with my ears ringing with the sound of cubs screaming steal.

The best thing about this game is that it is not always the fastest runner that wins. My Cubs love it

There is another take on it using three teams stood in a line behind a chair EACH(no need to number them off) and FIVE spoons placed on the floor in the middle. First team to get 3 spoons on their chair wins.
    Last edited by boveybaloo; 24-11-2011 at 04:57 PM.

In denial (beautiful place where the sun always shines)
    Thanks
    tug of war
    Circle of rope in the center. In sixs' each cub is given a number. When their number is called they have to run up and get the rope. Winning cub is the one to get the rope to their six. Sometimes a quick cub will whisk the rope away before the others get to it but most often you have a 4 way tug of war.

Sumo socks
    Circle of cubs or large circle of rope marking out an arena. Two cubs in the middle both holding on to their own socks. Object of the game is to maneuver the other cub out of the circle. If they let go of a sock then they have forfeited the match.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoopsaubergine View Post
    In an attempt to ring the changes a bit, I'm looking for some new games for my Cubs to play. Our main games are currently head/catch, Splat, the Helicopter game (beanbag swung round on rope) and most-requested of all, dodgeball. I'm sure they'd play it every week all meeting if they could! We do play others, but these are their favourites.

I have looked around POL and other sites for inspiration, but sometimes the ones that play best don't always read best. I'm looking for tried, tested and trusted favourites here. What should we all be playing? Which games would your Cubs happily play week-in, week-out? Thanks!

If you want, drop me an email (baloo at 2ndbracknell dot co dot uk) and I'll send you a copy of our games book that has the details of over 100 games for all occasions, and you can take your pick!
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

a quiver full of barbs merryweather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoopsaubergine View Post
    In an attempt to ring the changes a bit, I'm looking for some new games for my Cubs to play.
    my cub leader other half recommends: the 175 best camp games (a handbook for leaders) by Kathleen, Laura & Mary Fraser (publ. Boston Mills Press)

here it is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/175-Best-Cam.../dp/1550465058

hth

cordially yours, TM

Tarquin Merryweather James
    had three very silly names
    but never mind cos I made him up
    now I'm going for some tea, in a cup

Thanks
    One of the best games books I have found is called Games from A to Z but I think it may be published by Scouts Canada so only available from them . I will check at home tonight and see if I can find an ISDN number. http://www.scoutshop.ca/eSolution/se...=games&lang=en
    Akela - 6th Burlington Cub Pack

www.6thburlingtoncubs.org

Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions - some great ideas that I know our Cubs will enjoy.

Feel free to keep 'em coming - cheers!
    Mike
    1st Wootton Cubs - Northampton

Thanks
    Hi all

The attached may be of help

Del

----------------
    The Following Was Added to the post within 60 minutes of posting the above
    ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBaloo View Post
    If you want, drop me an email (baloo at 2ndbracknell dot co dot uk) and I'll send you a copy of our games book that has the details of over 100 games for all occasions, and you can take your pick!
    have you updated this recently - if so would love an updated copy#

del
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by derekchambers; 28-11-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Merged Double Post
    Derek Chambers,

Thanks
    For ours it is chariots. 4 teams numbered 1-whatever. Each sits on a chair. Leaders calls out 3 numbers - 1st is the rider and next 2 are the pullers. The rider sits on an old peice of carpet, curtain etc and pullers have to pull rider round the room and first team back and seated is the winner. Repeat until exhausted.
    We set hall up with a team in each corner and tables on their sides in middle with all legs inwards to prvent people taking shortcuts as well as preventing them bomping into legs. If you tie the table legs it means nothing can fall over and is therefore safer.
    Chris

Akela - 8th Mirfield
    Heavy Woollen District

Thanks
    Hoop or Mat by Hodgin8r
    Place several hoops and small mats (approx. 45cm by 20cm from old carpet etc) across the hall. Shout 'Go' and the Cubs start running around manically. At the call of "Hoop or Mat" all the Cubs must run to either a hoop or mat. Only one person is allowed per mat, but as many people are allowed in the hoop as can be fit. Anyone who does not get in a hoop/mat is out (á la musical chairs).
    Repeat until there are two Cubs left, taking away hoops and mats. They stand at one end of the hall facing the wall. A mat is dropped in a random location and 'Go' is shouted. They must then run to the mat. The winner is the first one to reach it.
    (This alternative ending stops the final two just circling the one remaining mat. If circling does occur earlier on, many leaders can pick up mats and hoops and decide who will drop/throw one and who will keep hold of them as a bluff).
    ACSL & Webmaster - 13th Carlisle Scout Group
    Nominated Youth Representative to the Scout Association Council for Cumbria
    County Exec Member, Chair of Cumbria County Youth Forum etc etc

Thanks
    Ours ask to play hide and seek in the dark every week, regardless of how light it is outside

Our favourites include:

Shoe bowling: Two teams, each lined up behind a chair. Two 2l pop bottles full of water about a metre away from the chairs. They take it in turn to take off their shoes, stand on the chair and lob the shoes at their bottle in an attempt to knock it down. When each team member has had 1 go, you can move the bottles further away. Must include a rule that the person collecting their shoes has returned to the line before the next person has a go, otherwise it's death by flying trainer.

Bucket of balls: I have a bag of ball pit type balls, and a bucket. The balls come in 4 colours and there are 4 teams, each assigned a colour. The balls get thrown on the floor, and they have to put as many of their balls into my bucket before the whistle is blown. The bucket gets filled pretty quickly, so you have to to keep chucking the balls out, I often get clumsy and drop the whole thing, or get really mean and put the bucket in the basketball hoop Blow the whistle when you want, and count the colours.

Anastasia

Deputy County Commissioner (Development) Warwickshire

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merryweather View Post
    my cub leader other half recommends: the 175 best camp games (a handbook for leaders) by Kathleen, Laura & Mary Fraser (publ. Boston Mills Press)

here it is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/175-Best-Cam.../dp/1550465058
    I have to agree this is one BRILL book! I love it!

Also, other games which are favourites:

Toilet tag: Basically stuck in the mud but when tug have to crouch down with an arm out straight, to be untug have to have their chained 'flushed' (i.e. their hand pushed down)

Sew the Seams: Beavers form a circle. One Beaver is the tailor, and another Beaver is 'It'. 'It' tries to catch the tailor before he can sew all the seams. To sew the seams, the tailor runs between the Beavers, who then join hands - the seam is then sewn. 'It' can only run around the outside of the circle while the tailor can run in and out.

Dodgeball

Bus stops: Have x amount of chairs numbered 1 to x. The cubs then run round the chairs in one direction until leader( who's not looking) shouts Bus stops. Cubs have to line up at the closest bus stop. Leader then says 'at bus stop 1 there is ? people' on so on for each stop. Any additional people after the number said are out, counting from the chair back.

Ladders

Anything with a parachute (which you can buy small ones from Tesco from under 10!)

Port and Starboard (which can be adapted for any theme!) There was a Chinese New Year version where the children had to 'fry like prawn crackers' the action was so hysterical that the leaders couldn't stop laughing to give another action!

SL - 44th Swansea
    Thanks
    Another great game we play is Ping the ball:

Line up large balls down the centre of the hall/area. Split into 2 teams (or rotate patrols) and have a team at either end; behind a line marked out 1/4 of the way into the playing area (from each end). The teams have to throw tennis balls/smaller balls at the larger ones to knock them over the line into their opponents 1/4. If the cub touches the ball to prevent it crossing their line, their team loses. The winning team is the one that has the least balls in their 1/4 after a set time. (a draw can be decided by the larger balls closest to the lines)