Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Winter Camp 2012

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chippenham, Wiltshire
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Winter Camp 2012

    Hello

    Just wondering who is attending next years winter camp in January?

    Alex

  2. #2
    Member Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    York
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I am as Staff!!!
    ASL 10th Harrogate (St. Wilfrid's) Walsh's Own
    SL Christ Church
    HANDS District Network Leader
    York Minster District Exec member

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chippenham, Wiltshire
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm AESL with Aye Foure ESU from Chippenham and we are going jointly with Sea Squad ESU from Corsham!

    Waht are you staffing, any particular activities?

    Alex

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sittingbourne
    Posts
    723
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 77 Times in 45 Posts
    yes, just remembering how muddy it normally is though, and wondering why I have said I will go

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    10 Scouts & 3 leaders coming from 1st Wellesbourne - all first timers! Expecting it to be cold - now expecting it to be muddy! Any more pearls of wisdom?

    Mark

  6. #6
    Senior Member roger-uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,653
    Thanks
    1,530
    Thanked 890 Times in 549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WellieBoot View Post
    10 Scouts & 3 leaders coming from 1st Wellesbourne - all first timers! Expecting it to be cold - now expecting it to be muddy! Any more pearls of wisdom?

    Mark
    Don't bother bringing a wash kit as the toilet blocks will be dirtier than you are

    Gilwell mud has the consisitency of araldite so take nothing good.

    BUT its great fun
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

    NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rainbow_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    395
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll be there as staff! Don't know what activity just yet... but one of the general ones all over the place!
    *** R A I N B O W *** D A V E ***

    Network Leader - Pillage - Bedfordshire

    Stiff and Stilted
    The Dave Collective
    Fun in Beds Organiser
    www.funinbeds.co.uk

  8. #8
    Member tom_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill, Sussex
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I will be there with 20 Explorers! It's the one camp that we cannot take off the programme as they love it so much.

    Counting down the days.
    Tom Hylands
    Explorer Scout Leader (Inferno ESU, Burgess Hill)
    County Explorer Scout Leader (West Sussex)

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm going as staff, looking forward to it, I think it's may favourite event of the year - all that snow/mud, depending on the weather!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi, does anyone have any spare dinner tickets for Saturday night?? We are 2 short.

  11. #11
    Senior Member recneps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bath and Bristol
    Posts
    8,736
    Thanks
    574
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Not attending personally, but our Scouts (31st Bath) are going with 2 of the scout leaders and our ACSL

    It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,260
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 69 Times in 47 Posts

    ' All that Glitters is Not Gilwell '

    ' Roger is very unkind about the ' Toilet Blocks ' at Gilwell.....

    ' Over the years the secret development of ' Gilwell Germ Warfare ' has been carried out in these very Boggs '

    ' Many a Scout has returned to his Troop safe in the knowledge that a little bit of Gilwell will remain in his gut for life....'

    ' The weather here is spring like......apart for the wind and the rain that is.......please don't get your plimsolls damp before you arrive '

    Dr.Stu..

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sittingbourne
    Posts
    723
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 77 Times in 45 Posts
    wondering why I have said I will go, looking at the weather, all memories of toliets are comming back to me!!! that really is the only bit of gillwell that someone should get sorted. when I was there at the reunion the base and pipes were in but still no toilets on the top? how long does it take.

    I'd rather have a clean latrine than a filthy loo.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    wondering why I have said I will go, looking at the weather, all memories of toliets are comming back to me!!! that really is the only bit of gillwell that someone should get sorted. when I was there at the reunion the base and pipes were in but still no toilets on the top? how long does it take.

    I'd rather have a clean latrine than a filthy loo.
    You'll be pleasantly surprised to learn that a new toilet block has been built on Branchet field and is due to open this weekend . However as with everything its about investment at the right time, and as I understand the bases were installed as part of the original infrastructure as it was the most cost effective way. The toilet team would I am sure love some support helping keep the toilets clean, which depending on ground conditions can be a very tough job, so if you have an hour free over the weekend - drop by the office and we can get you linked up with them.




    Nick
    Wintercamp Event Manager (Lead Volunteer)

  15. #15
    Senior Member roger-uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,653
    Thanks
    1,530
    Thanked 890 Times in 549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nick_iles View Post
    You'll be pleasantly surprised to learn that a new toilet block has been built on Branchet field and is due to open this weekend . However as with everything its about investment at the right time, and as I understand the bases were installed as part of the original infrastructure as it was the most cost effective way. The toilet team would I am sure love some support helping keep the toilets clean, which depending on ground conditions can be a very tough job, so if you have an hour free over the weekend - drop by the office and we can get you linked up with them.




    Nick
    Wintercamp Event Manager (Lead Volunteer)
    Nick,

    The "Bog Squad" do a wonderful job. My origional commnet was more about the mud etc which is walked in and out and which is practically impossible to prevent. Clenaing them and keeping them clean is like painting the Forth Bridge.

    I'll be in the warm and dry this weekend
    Roger Woods
    Assistant Group Scout Leader,
    1st Sawley (All Saints) , Long Eaton

    NSRA Air Rifle instructor
    GNAS Archery Instructor
    County Archery Assessor
    Radio Amateur (G8XAN)

Similar Threads

  1. OH GOD NO NOT AGAIN - Winter Camp
    By gregharewood in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 16-11-2010, 08:32 PM
  2. Winter Cub Camp
    By AkelaNeil in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 08:53 PM
  3. Winter Camp
    By andysdp in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 14-12-2009, 12:22 PM
  4. Winter Camp
    By John Simpson in forum Scouting Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-01-2007, 04:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •