Thread: Leader recruitment of trainee teachers

Thanks

Leader recruitment of trainee teachers

Evening, Wayne, and I hope you are keeping well.

Please could I draw your attention to my post on this thread at 7.38pm,
    http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/show...d=1#post258793 and to Richard's (Walsall Wizard) reply immediately afterwards.

Does the SA have a campaign that targets colleges and universities offering teacher training courses for leader recruitment and, if so, can you tell us more about it?

And - you know this is coming! - if not, why not?

Both our recruits have been mature students without children, and they have been great catches as Cub leaders. They tell me how much they have learned from the experience in so many ways that relate to their training and studies, and that being a leader has really helped them to understand the age group in much more depth.

I am sure that colleges and universities would also welcome the SA encouraging their students to spend contact time with their target age group.

Thanks for your time, as always.

Penny
    Last edited by Penny E; 10-12-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    Akela, 1st Tylers Hill

Yes, those are my legs - and my hiking boots too!

Thanks
    Hi Penny,

There have been several initiatives in recent years targeting recruitment amongst students and highlighting that volunteering can be a key benefit for particular careers.

We have packaged this into the advice areas for recruitment on the website, http://www.scouts.org.uk/supportreso...search?cat=268. Our projects have had mixed success and certainly prove that there is no magic wand when it comes to recruitment but we do know that it's better done locally e.g. through local Scouting contacting schools and colleges etc. to promote their opportunities. The advice focuses on supporting this.

I'd seen the thread but have been too busy this week to comment, will do so on the wider issue over the next few days hopefully,
    Many thanks,
    Wayne
    Wayne Bulpitt

Thanks
    Hi Wayne

Many thanks for the reply. The thread has now rambled into its 11th page, and is becoming something of a wailing wall. I am not sure that even I have the stamina to read it all, let alone to expect you to find the time!

If I may politely leave you with one thought, it is that a generic campaign to recruit "students" will have limited success. It is not dissimilar to staging a campaign to "adults" without selecting the appropriate media, message and mode of delivery.

There are discrete groups among students, such as outdoor or sporty types, trainee teachers and carers, tomorrow's managers etc. Identifying a small number of sub-groups, the motivation they might have to volunteer and tailoring a series of campaigns to them would, I think, be helpful.

It's probably all been discussed before though, so I will wander off and leave you in peace now. We have been lucky enough to gain 2 excellent new leaders from this source, and hopefully others may find a trainee teacher in their stocking on Christmas morning.

I wish you and yours a very merry Christmas, and a happy New Year.

Penny
    Akela, 1st Tylers Hill

Yes, those are my legs - and my hiking boots too!