Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bag Packing

Thanks
    The OP is in Cambridge, hence I referred my posts to the uni of Cambridge year ( michaelmass lent and easter terms) (ex cusagc member here )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ACSL (Bagheera)
    74th Birmingham St Germains
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Just found this on the TSA website --> https://members.scouts.org.uk/suppor...65&moduleID=10

You need to have claimed Gift Aid for the previous 2 years to be eligible for the Small Donations Scheme. However, because Scout Groups come under the Community buildings part of the Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme, you will only be able apply this to money collected in your Scout meeting place.

Does this mean that Bag Packing is out? Or has anyone had any success?

Jonathan

GSL

ex-Chairman
    49th Bournemouth (St. Katherines) Air Scouts
    NSRA YPS Tutor (Air Rifles)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by not-so View Post
    Just found this on the TSA website --> https://members.scouts.org.uk/suppor...65&moduleID=10

You need to have claimed Gift Aid for the previous 2 years to be eligible for the Small Donations Scheme. However, because Scout Groups come under the Community buildings part of the Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme, you will only be able apply this to money collected in your Scout meeting place.

Does this mean that Bag Packing is out? Or has anyone had any success?
    I think that is wrong

If you look at the HMRC (the horse's mouth) website it says you can have GASDS on small cash donations up to a limit AND if you collect in a Community building you can have a higher limit.

I would take that to mean that bag packing could be claimed in the first "normal" amount but if you also run events in a Community building you can claim even more.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/gasds/basics.htm

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/gas...-buildings.htm
    To get more kids we need more adults - are we getting the message yet?

Thanks
    We bag packed at 3 supermarkets in the run up to Christmas raising money for our trip to Adelboden this year.
    We hoped we could add to the amount raised by using the GASD Scheme but when I spoke to HMRC Charities last week and they were quite clear - bag packing does not fall within the GASD Scheme.
    As "not-so" stated in their post, as we are part of a National Organisation (Scouts) we can only claim Gift Aid on gifts of less than 20 made within our nominated building (our HQ) or money given in envelopes and opened in the building.
    So it seems the only way we could have complied with this scheme was to have given each shopper an envelope, ask them to place their donation in it and then take all the envelopes back to the HQ afterwards and open them there.
    Shame that. Another government headline grabbing idea that in actual fact turns out to be almost worthless.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Welborn View Post
    We bag packed at 3 supermarkets in the run up to Christmas raising money for our trip to Adelboden this year.
    We hoped we could add to the amount raised by using the GASD Scheme but when I spoke to HMRC Charities last week and they were quite clear - bag packing does not fall within the GASD Scheme.
    As "not-so" stated in their post, as we are part of a National Organisation (Scouts) we can only claim Gift Aid on gifts of less than 20 made within our nominated building (our HQ) or money given in envelopes and opened in the building.
    So it seems the only way we could have complied with this scheme was to have given each shopper an envelope, ask them to place their donation in it and then take all the envelopes back to the HQ afterwards and open them there.
    Shame that. Another government headline grabbing idea that in actual fact turns out to be almost worthless.
    Don't accept this without further investigation. The rules linked in post 63 do not back up the line that HMRC have taken. It is not unusual for individual HMRC staff not to know and understand all of the rules that they work under.

It appears that reference is being made to http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/gas...harities.htm#1

I am not sure that you can say that Scout Groups are under the "control" of HQ. The funds raised will be used locally as directed by the exec, HQ do not have authority over how the money is used. (Compare to a fundraising branch of Save the Children etc).

Graham

Thanks
    Thanks Graham but I'm not sure how I can take it further without just ringing up again and hoping to get another member of staff and a decision from that person that I agree with.
    Reading the HMRC Guidance I can see how they interpret it their way but I don't see why being part of a "National Organisation" should change the way we can claim.
    Kevin

Thanks
    Hmm, i disagree what the Scout Association is saying here.

Firstly - I've known groups have problems with HMRC before due to the nature of who we are set up and not every group has a charity number. I remember someone from Girl Guides saying that they refused the gift Aid on some grounds as the Girl Guiding Association would use the money.

Secondly - I believe you can claim on both the GASD and the community Building GASD. Read the following example given by HMRC (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/gas...-buildings.htm):
    Example
    If you carry out charitable activities in two community buildings and also carry out street collections, as long as you meet all the conditions, the maximum amount of small cash donations you can claim on is 15,000. This is made up of two community buildings amounts of 5,000 each (10,000 together) and the remaining amount of 5,000.

So, i read this as: i can Claim GASD on the bag packing i did at Tesco (up to 5000) and have a charity group that meet in my HQ, I claim a further upto a further 5000 under the community buildings. Although this is a general view of the community buildings GASD as there are further restricts on this.

----

I was writing this at 6:00 this morning so I thought I would clarify a little more when I got into work. I terms of Bag Packing, it depends if HMRC define this as "Street Collection". In my view, bag packing is Street Collection even though you are doing it on someone else's property. You can claim upto 5000 in gift aid. Reading through all the HRMC rules I still defend that bag packing should be collected under the GASD scheme and not the Community Buildings part.

Basically, the Community Buildings part allows you to "top-up" by a further 5000, increasing your amount you can actually claim off the GASD scheme. In reality, I don't think a Scout Group will ever be claiming over 5000 anyway. The Community Buildings allows you to claim from donations that happen in the building. However, don't get too excited about this. It does not include jumble sales, concerts etc as these are specifically fund raising events. An example of what you could claim on the Community Building - I have decided that I would setup a computer class for old people in my HQ. I don't charge for entrance but I do have a "donations bucket". I ran the course more than six times in a tax year. I can claim the donations for this under the "Community Building" and it wont affect the amount from my bag-packing. In essence, I could claim up to 10,000 in gift aid.

There is a couple of small catches. For every 1 I claim in normal Gift Aid, I can only claim 10 in the GASD Scheme. My income should also be over 5000. This shouldnt be a problem for the average group.
    Last edited by sitb2000; 21-01-2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Fixing URL
    Simon Parr
    Group Scout Leader - 1st Nanpantan Scouts
    County Cub Scout Leader - Leicestershire Scouts

Thanks
    Thanked 2,986 Times in 1,625 Posts
    On a slightly different note...

One of my Scouts commented. "If I get one person to allow me to pack bags, I get a whole string of people asking. If someone breaks the run, I can go for quite a while without getting any more to pack."

We watched and it seemed to be true. Then an Explorer made the same comment in the afternoon. Interesting observation.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushfella For This Useful Post:

K_Welborn (21-01-2014)

No mountain too high PeterSheppard's Avatar
    Thanks
    We've spotted this in the past Ewan. When acting as the co-ordinator I'm always in two minds whether to move people to different tills at that point.
    Assistant Area Commissioner (Activities) - Gwent

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap... but by the seeds you plant"

Thanks
    Just curious. Is it required to apply for a Street Collectors License from your local authority in order to accept donations for bag packing, since it is in a place where the public have access?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,986 Times in 1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Just curious. Is it required to apply for a Street Collectors License from your local authority in order to accept donations for bag packing, since it is in a place where the public have access?
    Nope, you are on private property and under the authority of the store manager.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk