Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scouting High Flyers

Thanks

Scouting High Flyers

In response to the earlier "Scout Career" thread, others may be interested to know that my county is now trynig to identify Scouting "High Flyers", that is those who will make good future District and County commissioners. So they are holding a number of weekend training courses intended to identify leadership potential and undertake early leadership training.

I was asked to identify any 18-30 yo's who might be suitable and interested, regrettably in our district we have only 12 in the 18-30 bracket at all (let alone with "drive and determination"), and not one showed the slightest inclination to attend. In addition, in the view of the AAC chairman and myself, only a few of them would make good section leaders, let alone GSL/DC or CC. I can't help thinking that a typical 25yo with determination, initiative and drive, is probably spending too much of their time exhibiting those characteristics in their work or personal lives to want to consider a Scouting "High Flyers" route - or will have enough personal competence or work training in leadership to not require such training through Scouts.

Is this very localised or are others thinking of doing the same? I think there are more pressing problems in Scouting than rivalling PWC in "graduate" development, but obviously others think differently !

Thanks
    There is something called i.MOVEit, specifically tailored for 18-30 and how they can get involved in the decision making process at different levels. It starts with a 24 hour nights away experience and then a 6 month project if I recall. It was trailed in the East Midlands Regions. I heard it was going to be rolled out to different regions soon.
    Simon Parr
    Group Scout Leader - 1st Nanpantan Scouts
    County Cub Scout Leader - Leicestershire Scouts

Russ Dyble
    Thanks
    Hi RisingStar, in the London Region a similar weekend was held and (as far as I have seen from feedback) was reasonably well-attended. Our County has also gone through a process of identifying people with an interest in (and potential for) becoming GSLs/DC/ACCs etc.

For many people, I'm sure the feelings you describe are true but for some, their knowledge and passion for Scouting a management role with the organisation is a great way to exhibit to a potential employer the skills and attributes needed on the professional career ladder. (as well as support adult and youth members in the organisation we all love).

For example, it's unlikely (I suspect) that at 28 I would have been given a role managing in excess of 250 adults (if you include indirect "reports" for want of a better phrase) in a work environment... thanks to Scouting I could now say legitimately to a potential employer "I've done this, here's where, how, who and the challenges/successes I had".

Granted being a DC is different in many ways to a paid managerial role but there are transferable skills and experiences in this (and many other Scouting roles) and a vast array of experiences to learn from.
    Last edited by TudorSN; 20-01-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added line spaces for ease of reading

Thanks
    I was going to say about the young managers weekend but TudorSN beat me to it. From people I know who went was a good weekend.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 632 Posts
    Anyone who really wants to be DC probably shouldn't be allowed to be.

Russ Dyble
    Thanks
    Tony, funny you should say that... I often say that to people who asked what the recruitment process involves!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post
    In response to the earlier "Scout Career" thread, others may be interested to know that my county is now trynig to identify Scouting "High Flyers", that is those who will make good future District and County commissioners. So they are holding a number of weekend training courses intended to identify leadership potential and undertake early leadership training.

I was asked to identify any 18-30 yo's who might be suitable and interested, regrettably in our district we have only 12 in the 18-30 bracket at all (let alone with "drive and determination"), and not one showed the slightest inclination to attend. In addition, in the view of the AAC chairman and myself, only a few of them would make good section leaders, let alone GSL/DC or CC. I can't help thinking that a typical 25yo with determination, initiative and drive, is probably spending too much of their time exhibiting those characteristics in their work or personal lives to want to consider a Scouting "High Flyers" route - or will have enough personal competence or work training in leadership to not require such training through Scouts.

Is this very localised or are others thinking of doing the same? I think there are more pressing problems in Scouting than rivalling PWC in "graduate" development, but obviously others think differently !
    IF this is the situation across the country is this not a poor indictment of our movement? It appears similar in this area. Why are so many 18-30 not taking leadership roles? Is it because Scouting is not providing enough support and encouragement?
    Do they feel the full weight of the responsibilities of leadership as too onerous?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,616 Posts
    I have a better retention rate of Explorers to Leaders than any of the other groups that I know of. Not one of them has shown the slightest inclination to develop a "career" in Scouting. One possibly will, but if he had been approached and offered the traininghe would probably have laughed and said, "Suff it!".

I do know of some career Scouters in the under 30 bracket. Best I keep my thoughts to myself on their suitability.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    That is absurd in the extreme. WScouting does need to develop "career Leaders" or "high flyers". Indeed, the very concept of "high flyers" is IMHO misunderstanding the role of the GSL/DC/CC etc - their primary role is to the facilitate and enable Section Leaders on the ground to provide Scouting. There is no "high flying" involved.
    Chris Hawes, District Media Manager, Watford North Scout District and Watford Scouts; Group Treasurer and Webmaster, 9th North Watford Scout Group.
    Web designer of free Scouting templates, Scouting Themes 4 WordPress.

Social media
    Twitter: @WNScouts / @9NWScouts
    Facebook: /WNScouts
    Instagram: @WNScouts

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,447 Posts
    The two Highflyer fast track type carer scouters that I know developed a life that only involved scouting and are now getting out and enjoying a life after scouting. Those that I know indirectly also seem to be doing similar.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingStar View Post

I think the fact that you have so few and that you and the GSl cant see the potential in them must mean that the programme you are deliverying is not doing what scouting is inteded to do and thats to turn out good, usefull young citizens. Maybe a real hard look at whats being delivered, it maybe pobular but if its not acheving the aims of the movement then there is an issue.
    Paul Austin
    Kent Scouts SASU Water team
    G0AXQ, intrests in Scouting, Cycling, Hiking, anything on the water. seeing the young people achive.

Thanks
    These are not phrases (high flyers or career scouters) used at all in our thinking, we are however developing a national strategy (I referenced it in a recent blog etc.) to help us identify people who have the potential to fill leadership roles within Scouting in the future to ensure that we know them and that they get opportunities for suitable experiences.

A number of pilots are ongoing and lessons are being learnt.

Happy to expand further, or to reassure anybody concerned that we would be doing this.

cheers,
    Wayne
    Wayne Bulpitt

Thanks
    As someone who was a DESC at 19 and GSL at 21, I can safely say that I'd rather have had older people who were competent doing these roles than having picked up the pieces myself.

Regardless of age, what we need is competent people in appropriate positions of responsibility. The concept of high-flyers is tosh - and it seems a worrying attempt to make up for the failure of existing systems, structures and training to allow those who are willing and able to take the lead.
    Scout Active Support Member & Webmaster
    Deep Sea Scouts National SASU

Membership Data & Engagement Support Manager
    Merseyside County Scouts

Webmaster
    St. Helens Scout District - 1st Whiston Scout Group - 1st Kirkby Scout Group

Tawd Vale Active Support Unit
    Tawd Vale Scout Camp

Russ Dyble
    Thanks
    I wonder if, put another way, the idea is more palatable... What about asking whether younger adults with the right skills/attitudes (I.e. that GSL/DC/CC roles are about supporting, providing for and facilitating others better at providing a programme for young people) are sometimes overlooked because they haven't climbed the Scouting "career" ladder - a phrase I can't stand!

How many CCs, for example, do you know who came via being a DC or part of the County team as opposed to from a leader/assistant role, having decided that that didn't suit them any more? I'll bet the majority.

How many times do we read on escouts about County/District teams being "closed shops" or "cliques" - perhaps this is a way to challenge this?

Over everything though, the person appointed must have the right skills for the role though!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bulpittw View Post
    These are not phrases (high flyers or career scouters) used at all in our thinking, we are however developing a national strategy (I referenced it in a recent blog etc.) to help us identify people who have the potential to fill leadership roles within Scouting in the future to ensure that we know them and that they get opportunities for suitable experiences.

A number of pilots are ongoing and lessons are being learnt.

Happy to expand further, or to reassure anybody concerned that we would be doing this.

cheers,
    Wayne
    Thanks for that clarification Wayne. I was on the verge of adding to the negative comments. This makes the picture much more reasonable in my opinion.

Still wondering why we need pilots if there will be no "high-flyers".