Thread: Best way to teach Lashings

Thanks

Question Best way to teach Lashings

Does anyone have a fun activity to teach Lashings?
    Mark Yates
    Scout Leader for 8th Ealing Scouts

Thanks
    do them for something, rather than just teaching them. teach them whilst doing pioneering/rafting, there is a better chance they will remember them.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    As Marcus wrote, do it with a purpose.

We get each Patrol to build a mini-ballista or catapult with Broom handles or garden canes and then have a skittle competition down the hall using tennis balls.

It teaches the three main lashings that we use: diagonal, square and sheer.

Stephen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stephen Goodman

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my Group, District or any other organisation of which I am a member.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooders View Post
    As Marcus wrote, do it with a purpose.

We get each Patrol to build a mini-ballista or catapult with Broom handles or garden canes and then have a skittle competition down the hall using tennis balls.

It teaches the three main lashings that we use: diagonal, square and sheer.

Stephen

Never managed to get a mini balister that worked well - do you have a plan you work to?

Thanks
    I've always managed to get mini balisters to work, really depends how they make it, and tbh think they'd much rather have fun thinking and creating them rather than how good they are.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

nele
    Thanks
    Have a look at the knights trebuchet on ropes and poles http://ropesandpoles.blogspot.com/

Our explorers recently did this abd it worked well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    Never managed to get a mini balister that worked well - do you have a plan you work to?
    Well, they all came out of standard pioneering books abs gave been reduced in size. We seem to get three common types built.

The first, and most successful, is two A-frames lashed together at the bottom to form a tent like structure. The tops of the A-frame are then pulled in and a pivot loosely lashed in the two Vs. A throwing arm is lashed to the pivot with a rope running from the far end down to a pulley on the bottom cross member and then to the rear of the ballista. A 'stopping' bar is lashed about half-way between the pulley and the pivot (this gets adjusted to get the right height/range balance). The tennis ball is loaded, the rope pulled and the arm launches the ball down the hall. Perhaps not a true ballista but good enough.

A less successful variant is a tripod with the arm pivoted in the top crossing. this design is difficult to get consistent direction.

The third, catapult, design is another tripod with poles lashed across the bottom of the legs for stability and then big rubber bands tied together to form the firing mechanism.

In the summer we have a race between two teams to make full size ballista with 12 foot arms and then fire water balloons at each other.

Stephen

Stephen Goodman

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my Group, District or any other organisation of which I am a member.

Thanks
    We have done mini balisters and used round plastic containers, the type supermarkets put coleslaw and potato salad in. We then let the scouts see who can fire furthest, and even a battle using pasta twists, bio degradeable so little clearing up. In summer we do raft building which is always good fun, prior to this we teach them how to do it and then wait and see who has taken note, those that haven't tend to get wetest quickest.

Other than that its back to ropes and poles in the HQ.
    Ian Turner
    Cub Leader, TA & ADC Cubs
    2nd & 7th Welwyn Garden City Scout Group

http://www.wgcscouts.co.uk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,606 Posts
    With the transgressor strapped to a cart wheel...

I'll get me coat.
    Ewan Scott

It seems that there are a lot of Nawyecka Comanch around....

Nawyecka Comanch'": "Means roundabout--man says he's going one way, means to go t'other" Ethan Edwards - The Searchers

www.upperdearnevalleynavigators.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardnhunt View Post
    Try this site http://www.pioneeringmadeeasy.co.uk/. Loads of good ideas, the ballista is under miscellaneous. Made a full size one of these with my cubs in the summer using pioneering poles. Fired a football a decent way and impressed the football club in the field next to us.

Thanks
    You could try limbo dancing: the Scouts build a small H frame (like rugby posts) out of lightweight staves and then hold a limbo competition - sliding the crossbar lashing lower and lower to limbo under. This one is very simple and could be used for Cubs.

A frame racing: In teams; lash 4 lightweight staves in a square, brace them with 2 additional diagonal staves (top/centre to bottom left/right corners). Tie guy ropes to the top outer corners of the frame. 1 Scout stands on the frame and holds on very tight, the others tow him at breakneck speed along a course across a grass area.

This one is at the riskier end of the scale so make sure you risk assess it fully.

Let me know if I haven't explained things clearly enough and I'll try to find a picture.
    Mark
    You can contact Mark via www.4theastcotescouts.org.uk

Thanks
    We let them build either ballistas, trebouchets or catapults with bamboo canes then fire glow sticks outside. A good activity for winter months

Thanks
    We tried launching fire lighters at a target dowsed in fuel - it doesn't work, the fire lighter is simply blown out as it is launched!

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.