Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sleepover - are cubs allowed?

Thanks

sleepover - are cubs allowed?

i have a few beavers who are shortly on their way to cubs. We have a beaver sleep over in April , can they attend as cubs if I have invited them, are they insured etc?

I realise that they may not want to , but I want to pre-empt it as there will be their younger siblings/best friends etc still in Beavers.

Thanks
    Bubbles
    Beaver Scout Leader
    Stone

Thanks
    If you're happy they won't disrupt the younger ones, then I see no reason for mixing them in. They are all members so there is no insurance issue. The only consideration is when YP outside of the age range are present, they can sometimes mess up your programme - not liking the activity, the choice of DVD, winning at all the games etc.etc.

As this group have only just moved on, I doubt you'll have a problem.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Fab - thanks....So as long as they are either under 8 years 3 months or invested in Cubs they are insured.
    Bubbles
    Beaver Scout Leader
    Stone

Thanks
    Hi Bubble, there are two different points there.

You know what I mean, but others reading this might take it the wrong way....

the age comment is about whether the group will work well, not about insurance.

The insurance is not an issue as all your members are insured as long as they are members.

Beavers don't stop being members between leaving the colony and being invested in the pack.

Don Tregartha
    Old Scouter
    1st Wing Scouts

Thanks
    Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTregartha View Post
    Hi Bubble, there are two different points there.

You know what I mean, but others reading this might take it the wrong way....

the age comment is about whether the group will work well, not about insurance.

The insurance is not an issue as all your members are insured as long as they are members.

Beavers don't stop being members between leaving the colony and being invested in the pack.
    indeed:

the child who walks in off the street and asks to join is insured from the instant he steps onto your premises
    the child who is never in uniform when you have time to invest/ enrol and goes a year without making his promise is insured (an extreme example)
    the kids who do scuba diving but don't wear uniform under water are not insured...

two of those statements are true

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by big chris View Post
    indeed:

the child who walks in off the street and asks to join is insured from the instant he steps onto your premises
    the child who is never in uniform when you have time to invest/ enrol and goes a year without making his promise is insured (an extreme example)
    the kids who do scuba diving but don't wear uniform under water are not insured...

two of those statements are true
    I spy a trick question - the scuba diving kids still have their neckers on and so are insured too!

;-)
    CSL 1st Marple Bradshaw Cubs

Thanks
    A slightly more sensible reply...

Last year our district camp was just after Easter, so we had newly promoted Cubs and Scouts, who had been with their new units for just one evening. We took the decision that it would be better for them to camp with their previous unit. It worked out well.

Then again, at the camp in September I took a Cub who had only been with us for a week and didn't have any problems, though it was clear that he was a bit less accepted at the start of the weekend.

Go for it.

BTW. Scuba diving in a necker - use a friendship knot so the woggle doesn't interfere with the dry suit buoyancy valve
    Vince Hall
    AESL, Meyer Explorers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakala.NL View Post
    BTW. Scuba diving in a necker - use a friendship knot so the woggle doesn't interfere with the dry suit buoyancy valve
    How can you say that? It's clearly got to be a woggle so that the scarf is easier to remove if it gets tangled with something.

Thanks
    As others have said shouldn't be a problem

There will be no problem with insurance, you could invite explorers and they would still be insured, tonnes of groups/districts/counties do mixed sections camps.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.

Thanks
    Do you need separate sleeping areas for different sections or is that just for gender?

I thought I knew the answer but can't find a reference. We do separate them in practice but not sure if that is TSA policy/guidance.

Stephen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooders View Post
    Do you need separate sleeping areas for different sections or is that just for gender?

I thought I knew the answer but can't find a reference. We do separate them in practice but not sure if that is TSA policy/guidance.

Stephen
    I looked this up in POR recently and could find no guidance there.
    Vince Hall
    AESL, Meyer Explorers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakala.NL View Post
    I looked this up in POR recently and could find no guidance there.
    That's where I though I saw it but perhaps it was a factsheet. Yellow card only stipulates separate accommodation for YP, Adults and YLs.

Stephen

Thanks
    Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,423 Posts
    POR correctly does not offer a rule...

All the tents blow down at 2am and you want to move the scouts and explorers indoors... but POR forbids them sharing a room with the cubs? so they stay outside in the wet.
    The scouts are on dartmoor... one of their tents rips to pieces so the girls get in with the boys to stay dry untilk morning... but then they phone you and you look it up in POR and it is forbidden... what do you do?

POR leaves things like this to common sense... just in case.

You should not need guidance. If you have done the nighs away course or have been assessed for your NAP... you should know how to run a camp. If you still need guidance, you ask for advice from the NAA or somebody similar.

POR normally gives us rules. We do not need a rule for this... you and I know that we do not normally plan to put explorers and beavers in the same room to sleep. But just occasionally... we might have to...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooders View Post

Stephen
    AFAIK, you don't need seperate sleeping areas either for different sections or for gender. I think it is recommended "best practice", but as far as I have been able to find out not a rule. The only rule about sleeping arrangements, is that yp, YLs and adults should all have seperate sleeping arrangements.

There are of course other considerations to take into account, such as the ages of the yp and in the case of mixed sleeping, facilities for the yp to change in privacy.
    Peter

Former CSL - 2nd Bracknell

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tzu (600 BC - 531 BC)

Thanks
    agree with Peter, I think there is only recommendations, there is no rules.

Rule 66. A map and compass offers no protection against getting horribly lost.